Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Recently bought a '13 AT for my wife and she loves it, outside of the fact that it viciously vibrates the entire car at ANY speed above 65. It sounds like a low rumble but the frequency seems fairly high. It's definitely driveline. I've read through numerous threads and pages of posts, many explaining my exact issue. However, I've seen fixes across the board and I never came across a consensus. The last good stuff I read was from 2014. In the last 6 years has this issue been figured out?

Is it the driveshaft bushings? Is it the carrier bearing? Is it the diff? Halfshafts? Could it just be rubber mounts?

Out of warranty work at the dealership is not in my best interests. I have enough mechanical ability to fix whatever it is myself, assuming that this is just a replace/removal job. Any guidance from those with past experience who have 100% fixed this issue would be great.

If nothing will truly fix it let me know.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Without inspecting your car in person its difficult to be certain, but if your sure its a drive line problem check or replace the rubber driveline couplings,(gubios) others have had similar issues and needed to replace them. Ive read they can be sourced off the internet and are the same as the equivalent BMW part but much cheaper than from Hyundai.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll also throw in the mileage, 87k. I didn't mention it initially as the mass of people in the past had this issue well under that number.

Fair point! I'm fairly certain, but certainly not very experienced with this particular car or Hyundai in general. I've been through my fair share of chassis resonance issues and vibrations with my Miata(s), which are stupidly susceptible to vibrations. It's certainly not tires, or wheels. As the wheels are well within reasonable roundness and we just got new tires (this past Wed) and it made <0.1% difference.

I've visually inspected the couplings when I had it in the air last, and they seemed fine, as in they looked pretty good. Not really crusty, cracked or anything terribly obvious. Not sure if there are some notable visual queues for you guys and those couplings. I'll definitely take a closer look though.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
739 Posts
I believe that certain 3 series BMWs use the same guibos as the GC. Might check that out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure looks like it. Visually they look the exact same, but I'd need to ensure all of the measurements are right. I'll be looking into options for these as I continue to move forward.

Right now I've ordered up a very low mileage driveshaft from a '16. It was cheaper than buying the couplers/guibos and potentially dealing with a carrier bearing. Should be arriving "soon" so I'll report back with findings. Ideally it solves the issue, but we'll see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to those who offered suggestions!

I wanted to follow up with a resolution to the issue. The issue has been fixed completely and was resolved by a new to me (used) driveshaft.

At about 65 the driveshaft would vibrate aggressively at any speed above that number. As a 2013 it had the original driveshaft and not the later revised driveshaft. Not sure what was changed between versions, but the new (used) one was from a 2016.

With both driveshafts out, upon visual inspection, I saw no reason why this new one would be any better than the existing one, as everything appeared fine. Couplers were in great shape. Carrier bearing was in great shape. U-joints were perfect. Outside of the driveshaft being out of balance from factory, I've got no clue as to why there would have been such a severe issue.

That said, installing the new driveshaft completely resolved the issue. I know there have been many members in the past with similar vibration issues. Every case is different, but this at least resolved my issue. Hopefully this helps someone at some point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts