Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

381 - 400 of 927 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Look out world!

2013 Subaru BRZ Track Test Video -- Inside Line - YouTube

I'm laughing at all the people saying, "hurrrr but i don't care about acceleration. this car will be fun in the twisties hurrrrrrr". What twisties? Are you a professional race car driver who works at the track? Do you go on illegal canyon runs every morning and evening to and from work? Public roads are 90% straight line acceleration and public twisties are usually unkempt and unsafe to drive fast on...you won't even be able to jockey for position against minivans. Motortrend managed a 0-60 of 6.4 seconds but is essentially even with Edmunds in the quarter mile time...just further proof of how MotorTrend f*cks around to get those "faster than everyone else" 0-60 times. The BRZ fails as a daily driver sports car.
Wow man. I think your wrong on so many levels. From someone that used to live in NC, yes I used to go to the mountains and throughout the back roads in central NC all the time and play :D. The roads there are curvy as hell, noting they outline old farmer passages and various trails that were cut out of the woods back in the early life of America.

Then came the hell of Texas and these Midwest states that decided to take a sqaure with them when they decided to develop a road :dunno: I can see you saying that if you have lived out west for the majority of your life, but the good ole southeast i would say 70-75% of the back roads have lots of curves and hills.......aka one of the many reasons I love and miss the southeast!

So if you live in a concrete hell that is a metroplex (ATL, DFW, NYC, ect ect, I despise the city as you can tell...stupid DFW), then yes you are right, but if you live in the rural parts of the southeast you will learn two things: 1. The people will take the shirt off their back to help you, which is unlike any other place I have been (44ish of the 48 continental states). 2. You wont find a more beautiful place in the country minus California, but their politics and taxes will keep me away from that state!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Omg those numbers are absolutely terrible for the frs. Who the hell would pay 25k for such terrible performance and what looks like no luxury. Skidpad and braking should be better with the lightweight and the acceleration as well... My tc auto 4 speed can do 0-60 in that

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow man. I think your wrong on so many levels. From someone that used to live in NC, yes I used to go to the mountains and throughout the back roads in central NC all the time and play :D.
Sorry man, you haven't convinced me. I grew up in Asheville NC and used to vacation deep in the mountains so I'm familiar with the curvy never ending Appalachian roads. I was just a middle school kid back then (~15 years ago), but I do have clear memories of cars on several occasions being pulled out of gullies/ravines on the twisty roads out there. It was because of black ice patches in the winter (very common) and there was always a 50% chance of rain to dampen the roads in the summer. You were always dealing with less that ideal driving conditions. Not safe for a typical amateur sports car enthusiast. If I lived in Asheville today, I would probably be driving an AWD sports car with a spare set of winter tires. I'll take your word for it regarding other areas of the southeast.

And just to clarify, there are endless miles of back roads all over the California bay area where I currently live, but it's dangerous and irresponsible to drive fast on them for so many reasons. Most roads are smooth and fun to drive on but will hook up with regional/state/national park trails (especially in Marin county)...so there's lots of hikers on foot and people on horseback you need to watch out for. Drive past a horse at 60+mph and the horse will toss its owner. That's jailtime driving. If you are canyon running and you do it regularly, it will only be a matter of time before you hit a dear (or a dear hits you lol). If you canyon run with friends, and get caught in a speed trap, the officer may site you for illegal road racing and your car gets impounded. Speed traps are common on these roads too. If you can find an empty back road where it's just you and your car, chances are it's not maintained because it's nothing more than alternate routes for when the highways are jammed. Bumpy/pitted/cracked roads SUCK to drive fast on. Towns don't want to allocate tax dollars into maintaining these roads because they don't want people using their back roads as a drive-thru.

And none of this changes the fact that the FRS/BRZ is all show and no go on normal daily driver roads (freeways, frontage roads, city main streets). I'm just saying....with a similar curb weight, find yourself a used Honda S2000, Integra-R or maybe a Mazda RX-8 for way cheaper. Get the same double-wishbone handling experience and you'll also be rewarded with better acceleration. The BRZ and FR-S are not doing anything that wasn't already done 10 years ago but it will cost you ~$28K for the privilege. No thanks.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I was on the fence if the BRZ would be as good an all rounder as the 2.0T....but those times are WOEFULL! Around an autocross circuit this thing could be handy...but overall the 2.0T smokes this thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I for one enjoy driving a nimble good handling car even though I don't autocross or race on the streets. It's just fun driving through the curves at above averages speeds in a car that is composed and totally controllable and feels like it's on rails. A small car that's low to the ground also tends to feel like it's going faster than it is, adding to the fun. That said, the brz is not for me due to lack of grunt and useable back seat. $25k is not a bad price though. Are there any other new cars for that price that come with rwd, limited slip diff, and nav?

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
The BRZ will be slower out of the box, of course. Rumor is that Subaru is working on a turbo version now though, and Toyota has been known for a while now to be developing a supercharger.

However, the BRZ/FRS aftermarket will be enormous compared to what is offered for the Genesis Coupe. I wouldn't be surprised if there were faster BRZs/FRSs than any Genesis Coupe here on the board within the first year.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The BRZ and FR-S are special cars. I saw one at the auto show and was surprised at how low to the ground and small they really are. This car can only be someones second car unless they live somewhere where it never snows and they never drive more than 1 other adult at a time. Most other cars that fall into that category are really expensive so it's never a problem for the owner; they have multiple cars anyway if they can afford an expensive sports car. The BRZ is not expensive, so it's like the poor mans sports car. It also takes a special kind of person to desire a car that is really like a go-kart. I wouldn't get one because it's just too small and impractical. Yea I'm sure it handles awesome, but it's not like the 2.0t genesis is this massive tank that can't take a corner. Even heavier cars like the mustang and g37 handle pretty well. I think most people would rather have a larger, faster car that handles good than a small, sort of fast and great handling car. BRZ is not for me and to be honest I don't really understand the people who desire this small inexpensive sports car. It's like a lotus without the exclusivity or a mini corvette without the speed.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The BRZ will be slower out of the box, of course. Rumor is that Subaru is working on a turbo version now though, and Toyota has been known for a while now to be developing a supercharger.

However, the BRZ/FRS aftermarket will be enormous compared to what is offered for the Genesis Coupe. I wouldn't be surprised if there were faster BRZs/FRSs than any Genesis Coupe here on the board within the first year.
There are going to be 500+whp 3.8s with the new BTRCC turbo set up....I doubt you will see 500+hp BRZ/FR-S on the street anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
There are going to be 500+whp 3.8s with the new BTRCC turbo set up....I doubt you will see 500+hp BRZ/FR-S on the street anytime soon.
Just gotta wait and see.

·
Banned
1,099 Posts
Before the US dollar became weak as **** vs the yen, the BRZ/FRS were originally going to be an ~18k car.

Now the US dollar is 30% weaker vs the yen, hence the price jump to 24k. Same thing with the GTR price jump (70k in 2008, 90k in 2012)

·
Registered
110 Posts
We need the frs to sell so Toyota see's that we want more exciting cars then there Bland cars they have now. If it dosnt sell well I don't think they'll try to make another sports car for a long time

·
Registered
167 Posts
We need the frs to sell so Toyota see's that we want more exciting cars then there Bland cars they have now. If it dosnt sell well I don't think they'll try to make another sports car for a long time
I doubt that very much. Nissan, Hyundai, Ford, Chevy can make fun fast 2 door coupes.

Toyota had this market. Back in 85, they had the Celica and they had the Supra. Then some suit decided the Celica needed to die and the Supra needed to become fat.

So now its upto Toyota/Subaru to get their heads out of their collective rears and drop some serious HP in these sexy cars. They can do it. Why they won't is obviously being blocked by somebody at the highest level who has an axe to grind with this segment. It makes no sense.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just saw both the BRZ and the FR-S at the Denver auto show and while the lines are nice it is a very small car. Also the interiors look very cheap on both models in person, lots of hard plastics.
+1
There is plenty of evidence of cost-cutting on both models. I might be in the minority, but the absence of redundant steering wheel controls is a turn off for me too. I can control my radio and phone without taking my hands off the wheel and my eyes off the road. It's hard to go back from that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Honestly, I get the premise of the FR-S/BRZ; have fun going slow. My question is, where have all the fans of these cars been hiding all this time? I mean, the Toyobaru twins are no different from what the Miata has been over the last 2+ decades. The Miata has never set sales charts on fire, but Toyota releases a lightweight RWD sports car and it's the best thing since sliced bread.

·
Manitoba GenCoupe
226 Posts
Noob post #7

·
Registered
688 Posts
I doubt that very much. Nissan, Hyundai, Ford, Chevy can make fun fast 2 door coupes.

Toyota had this market. Back in 85, they had the Celica and they had the Supra. Then some suit decided the Celica needed to die and the Supra needed to become fat.

So now its upto Toyota/Subaru to get their heads out of their collective rears and drop some serious HP in these sexy cars. They can do it. Why they won't is obviously being blocked by somebody at the highest level who has an axe to grind with this segment. It makes no sense.
It is called cost and MSRP. They already lost the muscle car war due to poor sales. The last Supra Turbos were $40k plus. That was Corvette territory. Unless you just love Japanese cars, those prices make it hard to move when their were cars that cost much less and had a lot of bang for the buck. Sure the turbos were nice, but when new, they were not what they have become now.

381 - 400 of 927 Posts