Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

401 - 420 of 907 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
Honestly, I get the premise of the FR-S/BRZ; have fun going slow. My question is, where have all the fans of these cars been hiding all this time? I mean, the Toyobaru twins are no different from what the Miata has been over the last 2+ decades. The Miata has never set sales charts on fire, but Toyota releases a lightweight RWD sports car and it's the best thing since sliced bread.
They're very different because of one factor: they have a back seat. Even if it's a tiny one that is only large enough for me to strap my small child in, it has Latch points for a car seat and that makes a world of difference. I'd own a Miata/MX5 if it wasn't for that. Sadly the Miata/MX5 also has the whole "girl car" stigma so a lot of people won't buy them just for that reason. But I can't think of any automotive journalist that thinks the Miata isn't one of the best sports cars for the money. A lot of people have been dreaming of a Miata coupe for a long time.

+1
There is plenty of evidence of cost-cutting on both models. I might be in the minority, but the absence of redundant steering wheel controls is a turn off for me too. I can control my radio and phone without taking my hands off the wheel and my eyes off the road. It's hard to go back from that.
I think there's evidence of cost-cutting on most vehicles under 50k. I haven't looked above that so I can't really say for sure if that exists as well. I can understand your point that you miss the wheel controls, because my company Impala doesn't have them and I find myself missing them when I drive it instead of our Camry (first world problems, amirite? :D), but I think they decided to strip GT perks out of it and make it more of a sports car. Saves cost, yes, but also makes the car more focused, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
393 Posts
However stupid it may seem. Maye they though a track car doesn't need cruise. Maybe you bump into it during aggressive driving. I know it's a bs reason I'm just saying.

They are offering the frs in Japan in a trim with. I radio ad no air conditioning. Not like that adds much cost but they are marketing it as a focused track tuner car for that particular trim.

As far as features go. Working a Hyundai dealership. I Believe try killed the 2.0 track because when I get customers that want all the features they always want the bigger displacement engine.

They don't sell enough coupes as is to cater to the market that wants everything and the 2.0.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Just for the heck of it I did a search on Truecar to see what kind of deals you could get on a base 2012 Mustang GT. To my surprise a dealer called me about a base Silver GT for under 26k! Wow, I had no idea they would honor x-plan on top of the 3k discount. I really didn't want another silver car, but 412hp vs. 274 and it also has fog lamps and LSD. I'll have to find out about insurance and financing, ect., but if its even close to what I'm paying now it may be a no-brainer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just for the heck of it I did a search on Truecar to see what kind of deals you could get on a base 2012 Mustang GT. To my surprise a dealer called me about a base Silver GT for under 26k! Wow, I had no idea they would honor x-plan on top of the 3k discount. I really didn't want another silver car, but 412hp vs. 274 and it also has fog lamps and LSD. I'll have to find out about insurance and financing, ect., but if its even close to what I'm paying now it may be a no-brainer.
Just did the same.....27,354 for a 2012 GT with brembos....I just don't think I can deal with the gas mileage.....heck of a deal tho

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mustangs and Camaros are cool, have more horsepower, but everybody and their brother has one. I bought my coupe because I wanted something I didn't see everyday.
The 2013 Genesis, the BRX, and the Scion look nearly identical. From what I've read so far, the Genesis is the only one to offer a turbo 4 banger. That's my only reason for buying a Genesis. If one of the others comes out with a turbo, I'll buy the one I like the best.

. :gc-Popcorn_Smiley_b

·
Registered
126 Posts
Honestly, I get the premise of the FR-S/BRZ; have fun going slow. My question is, where have all the fans of these cars been hiding all this time? I mean, the Toyobaru twins are no different from what the Miata has been over the last 2+ decades. The Miata has never set sales charts on fire, but Toyota releases a lightweight RWD sports car and it's the best thing since sliced bread.
I own a 1990 Miata... 0 to 60 in 9 seconds has never been so fun. I can drift that car for hours in the snow and my face hurts because I can't stop laughing. I drove an M3 last week and I was bored out of my mind. I've driven almost every sports car under $50000 and half of the luxury grand tourers. The only cars that provide a better driving experience for me is an S2000 and an FD RX7. I can afford a Porsche Cayman but if the FR-S/BRZ is the type of drivers car that every single auto reviewer says it is then I'm buying one.

0 to 60 doesn't mean **** if it doesn't "FEEL FUN" getting there.

I like the 2013 Genesis Coupe twice as much as the 2010 to 2012. The manual isn't a total joke anymore and the interior is dramatically improved. The problem is that it still feels heavy in the corners just like the Mustang, Camaro, G37, and even the 370z.

I miss 2100 Pound cars. If you've never driven an NA Miata then you have no idea what your missing. It's like sleeping with a 110 pound super model and then trying to go back to banging "bigger girls". No thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
I own a 1990 Miata... 0 to 60 in 9 seconds has never been so fun. I can drift that car for hours in the snow and my face hurts because I can't stop laughing. I drove an M3 last week and I was bored out of my mind. I've driven almost every sports car under $50000 and half of the luxury grand tourers. The only cars that provide a better driving experience for me is an S2000 and an FD RX7. I can afford a Porsche Cayman but if the FR-S/BRZ is the type of drivers car that every single auto reviewer says it is then I'm buying one.

0 to 60 doesn't mean **** if it doesn't "FEEL FUN" getting there.

I like the 2013 Genesis Coupe twice as much as the 2010 to 2012. The manual isn't a total joke anymore and the interior is dramatically improved. The problem is that it still feels heavy in the corners just like the Mustang, Camaro, G37, and even the 370z.

I miss 2100 Pound cars. If you've never driven an NA Miata then you have no idea what your missing. It's like sleeping with a 110 pound super model and then trying to go back to banging "bigger girls". No thanks.
=\ please stop adding to the reasons why I should by a NA miata lol. I wanted one for my first car out of college because it was fun and I would be able to save up 4-5k cash and walk away with one. Ended up being able to lease my GC with no cosigner though, so I got this. Part of my wants to drop more money on this car for a bigger turbo and new shortblock, but another part of me wants a 91 BRG...

·
Registered
126 Posts
=\ please stop adding to the reasons why I should by a NA miata lol. I wanted one for my first car out of college because it was fun and I would be able to save up 4-5k cash and walk away with one. Ended up being able to lease my GC with no cosigner though, so I got this. Part of my wants to drop more money on this car for a bigger turbo and new shortblock, but another part of me wants a 91 BRG...
91 BRG with the tan leather and the speakers in the headrests... DROOOL. Just make sure you don't get the power assisted steering. You want old-school rack-and-pinion.

For those of you hating on the FR-S that drive automatics this photo is for you.

Careful, your tampon wrapper may catch fire!

·
Retired Staff
2,303 Posts
The 2.0T is probably using a hypereutectic pistons, as they are cheaper to mass produce than forged units.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are the pistons, crankshaft, and rods hypereuctectic or only certain parts that way and others cast?

I'm considering buying this car and going with the btr ecu, exhaust, 3" downpipe and a lightening it up or buy an evo 8 from the auto auctions through one of my clients and buy a forged internals with cams and titanium valvetrain etc. My client said he'd do all the work for $500 and get me 20% off on the parts. I just hate the interior of the evo a lot. Other than that I love the car and have spent a lot of time driving his inventory so I'm pretty familiar with it. Just really love the way the genesis looks. I heard its a sick drift car. I love time attack but really like drifting and thinking of getting into it. I understand the gen coupe is not really good at time attack track runs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
According to books about the Miata's release and enthusiasts I know who were into cars back then, it saw a lot of markup and waiting lists. Obviously for most people roadsters serve a different purpose than a 2+2, yet some of its hype was for similar reasons: it was a reasonably priced, small, lightweight, simple, and fun RWD car with great steering and shifting that was potentially reliable and efficient.

At that time, the classic roadster had vanished from the market many years prior, just like the tiny, lightweight 2+2 RWD coupe had been missing until now.

The main difference between it and the Miata is practicality. The FT86 is still tiny, but having a moderate (rather than really small) trunk with a pass-through plus a small rear seat (rather than none) makes the car a lot more utilitarian. An FT86 can be the only car for a lot more people than the Miata. Personally I need 3 seats, which is why I'm giving up my Miata for one.

The rest of my post is in response not to you, but to others in this thread:

Though the Miata is often derided by bench racers as a girl's car, my NB is the most fun car I've owned, despite making only ~60% of the power that my last two vehicles had. Autox is a blast, and while the Miata is out of its element on long interstate trips, the notion that public roads are too straight for a car like this is absurd.

I can relate to some of the criticism of gutless momentum cars as I found the 1.6L Miata to be a little too slow for my taste. But once they put in the 1.8L, I've had no complaints. The Miata and FT86 are for drivers that enjoy downshifting and wringing it out when passing instead of just mashing the pedal, and the FT86 (like the NC) has plenty of oomph for daily driving. I test drove several NCs and S2000s (including a modded AP1 that made 265 HP without F/I) before deciding they weren't significantly more fun than a cheap old NB.

Though the FT86 is a little more expensive than I would've liked, it's still reasonable given that the average price of a vehicle today is north of $30k. Considering how weak the USD is compared to the yen, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Here is my take after test driving and considering a number of cars that are in the same price range as the 2013 Genesis Coupe base 2.0T (manual).
- MazdaSpeed3. Let me just say, this car was at the very top of my list as I have owned 5 Mazda's and my current car was a Mazda 3 and was a very solid car. I had fully expected to buy this car. After driving a 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T base manual, I drove the MazdaSpeed3 the next day. The Speed3 definitely felt faster than the GC, especially from 0-30. The Speed3 handled very well. But, keep in mind the Speed3 is front wheel drive. There was some torque steer, but it felt manageable. Where the Mazda disappointed me was the interior. The GC seats were more comfortable, I liked the layout of the cockpit more, and I felt the fit and finish of the materials in the GC was superior. As an example, look at the steering wheel of the Speed3. There are like 18 buttons.. The materials felt cheaper, and there was noticeably more road noise. I also liked the exterior look of the Hyundai more (obviously subjective). The Speed3, for me, seemed to be targeting a younger demographic. The Speed3 also gets, on average, 4mpg worse fuel mileage and it requires premium fuel. I drive, on average, about 10K miles per year. This translates to roughly $360 more per year if gas was $3.50 per gallon, and the savings is even more if gas prices go up. I plan on driving the car 6-7 years, so that would yield over $2K in savings over 6 years. Assuming gas prices go up, it will be much closer to $3K or more. So it was a factor, but not the largest for me. I simply preferred the more refined feel of the GC. I did feel that the Mazda was a little more fun to drive, but it was not by leaps and bounds. The Hyundai warranty was also much better..

Ford Mustang - Let me preference this by saying I have never been a big Mustang or Camaro fan. My first car was a Mazda RX7 and it spoiled me. I will say the new Mustang is alot of car for the money. It was fast. It felt faster than the GC to me, again not by leaps and bounds, but I also felt like I was driving a much larger car. Obviously this is subjective, but I am not really big on the exterior styling of the newest Mustang. I thought the retro look was cool when it first came out, but I am already tired of it, and the next Mustang is supposed to be much more modern looking and I just don't see myself driving this car 6-7 years.. Interior, for me, was not as nice as the GC. I thought the GC handled better overall, and I preferred the layout of the gauges and really despise the Ford MySync system. I felt the same about the Ford Focus SE hatchback as well. In both cases, even the salesman had a hard time working the Ford Sync. It is just not the car for me. I am sure my bias played a role, but driving the car only confirmed it. But I can see why so many people buy these cars. They are big and fast and are mean looking. And I do have to say the 6 speed manual in the Mustang was my favorite of all the cars driven. Hyundai could learn a thing or two here from Ford. The Mazda was second in terms of the transmission smoothness and feel.

Camaro - Honestly, I did not even drive it. I sat in the seat and that was enough for me. It felt like I was sitting in a boat and I have to say, WTF were they thinking with that steering wheel? Again, my bias played a role here, but it was confirmed for me seeing the car. It is just not for me.

Honda Civic SI - I like Honda. My wife's vehicle is a Honda Odyssey which has been a rock and drives like a car. I was expecting more from the Civic SI coupe. The styling just does nothing for me, inside and out. It felt noticeably slower than the GC, and for me, it just did not handle as well either. The word pedestrian comes to mind. Their transmission was smooth, I give them credit there. I just felt like the car did not have the identity or soul the GC or the Mazda 3Speed had. It was not a bad car, but it certainly did not inspire me to buy it over the Mazda or the Hyundai. I just get the sense that Honda played it too safe with this car. And I thought the interior was not on par with the GC either in terms of gauges, fit and finish, and comfort.

The funny thing in all of this was the Hyundai was not even on my radar when I started researching. I had never seen one in person (that I remember) and it says a lot that I ended up buying one of these cars. To me, it had the right balance of everything. I would not say the GC was the best in any one category, but it just does so many things so well. Factor in the price, features, gas mileage, and warranty and it is hard to beat..

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
having two wheels is bad? High horsepower is bad? Ok mr. Muscle car... (hp on bikes is not that high btw, i think what you're trying to say is high power:weight ratio)

there is a big difference between finding something dangerous and "hating it with a passion." that just shows how closed-minded you are, or just semi-illiterate. Obviously motorcycles are best for fun and leisure (aka track and weekend riding), i figured that is kind of obvious...are you going to go buy a lamborghini aventador to commute to work in? Not likely.

Again, my marital status has nothing to do with how i feel about motorcycles, and once i am married with kids i may no longer ride on the street but i will by all means own a full blown track bike. Your arguments are mediocre at best, and fall to pieces in more than one area if you ask me. I'm still not sure why you got so butt hurt about my question, but i'm glad you don't ride motorcycles as the seat may be too rough for your poor little bum in its current state :rofl:

Anyways, i'm going to sleep now, so don't you even worry your pretty little head, i lost zero sleep over your ignorant and highly biased statements :dunno:

Oh, and just to be a dick, they're also considerably practical for gas mileage. Not that you'll get 50mpg riding hard, but getting upwards of 30mpg while ripping around is pretty solid in my book, not may vehicles that can even touch it while getting over 15mpg

aaaaand, finally, i believe motorcycles are more up your alley than you think...

Vvvvvvvv you saying what you love about pure sports cars vvvvvvvvvvvvv
wtf does any of this have to do with driving a hyundai genesis coupe?

·
Registered
40 Posts
gc

Agreed

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yeah the Chevy camaro is kicking their a$$e$ in sales so Ford is getting really aggressive on moving them out, especially with the new 2013's coming in. I'm betting the insurance on the Stang may be more than the GC. Mine is only $75.00 a month and I have the 3.8 Track Spec.

401 - 420 of 907 Posts