Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

861 - 880 of 919 Posts

·
Genesis OG
2,625 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Our experience is with the older 2010 Genesis Coupe, but we extensively tested it against other sports cars while in the process of buying one. We chronicled that adventure over at Jalopnik's Opposite Lock early this year.

For a summary, we tested a 2010 Genesis Coupe V6 Manual Trans against a 2012 Mustang V6, a 2006 Boxter S, a 2004 WRX, and a 2009 Sky Redline; all with stick-shifts. For us, the Genesis Coupe came out on top for a variety of reasons.

Our post count is too low right now, but you can easily find the article by searching Jalopnik for the tag "Project Hoondy".

*EDIT*

Here's the link to our Project Hoondy driving comparison:

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/you-actually-bought-one-of-those-things-1769179653

Thanks for reading!

·
2013 GC Track (MT) 66k mi
6 Posts
I'm seriously looking at buying a 3.8L Track model, and I have to say, the 2013 model I drove impressed me. I have been driving sports cars for decades -- an MGB, then a z32 300zx (yeah, bit of an improvement!).

I am looking to replace the aging 300 as my main car, and have been considering a 350, a 370, and a GC. I went out driving them and, comparing a 2009 370 (touring, sport), 2006 and 2007 370z (touring/GT) and the aforementioned 2013 GC (3.8L Track), the 3.8 struck me as the best of the four.

It matched the 350 and 370 for cornering, and was smoother on level rides (the 300z, and the 350/370, all have a fairly rough road feel. I didn't, and don't expect otherwise. But the GC actually managed to not feel that rough, despite the cornering handling being pretty much in the same class).

Granted, this is comparing 2006-2009 cars to a 2013 car, so some design improvements may exist within the interim that would make a 2013 or better 370z seem better, this strikes me as unlikely.

The one thing I'm wondering on (feel free to tell me which forum to look in) is that I'm seeing a f**ton of GCs on sale, all at right around 60k miles. Is there some maintenance issue, common flaw, or something that makes that a prime selling point? Is there a thread here advising on what things to check for when buying a used GC?

Thanks.

P.S., in case there was any question -- all manual transmissions. I'm not a snob, most cars don't need an MT -- but a sports car with an AT is a car for someone who doesn't need a sports car. They should just buy a Cadillac and be done with it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Is there some maintenance issue, common flaw, or something that makes that a prime selling point? Is there a thread here advising on what things to check for when buying a used GC?
Manual transmissions on all years of Genesis Coupe are widely considered problematic. Earlier models are considered 'worse' and Hyundai did improve the internals between model years. Plenty of GenCoupe enthusiasts have had theirs blow up or otherwise need rebuilding.

This is rather painfully illustrated by the 117 page long "Manual Transmission Issues" thread.

Happily, the transmissions themselves are not always at fault. For instance, many manual transmission issues come down to fluid. The factory spec is a mis-match for many owners and a lot of folks have found benefit in switching to a different brand/grade of transmission oil.

Sadly, the debate on this issue is ongoing and there is no one agreed-upon "best" fluid to use in the GenCoupe manual trans. The discussion is ongoing, and you can read our own take and those of many other owners on this "New to the Notchy Tranny" thread.

Another big cause of manual transmission woes is inadequate drivetrain mounts. The OEM engine and transmission mounts are very soft and weak. With the power of the V6 option it is easy to overwhelm the stock mounts with hard driving. Therefore, it is also easy to break stuff with hard driving.

The universal solution to this problem is firmer mounts. It's one of the best modifications you can do to these cars and it is honestly a requirement for regular, spirited driving of the high-power V6 models that are equipped with a manual transmission.

There are a few options on the market for this. You can read about one of those options in this thread. In general, firmer is better when it comes to drivetrain mounts on the Genesis Coupe.

The Grandaddy of all drivetrain mounting improvements on the Genesis Coupe is the mythical Sedan rear subframe swap. This modification is currently Unicorn status and only exists on a tiny handful of cars. However, the Hard Part of this mod is easy in that the subframe bolts right onto the GenCoupe chassis. No problem. It becomes tricky in that the GenCoupe diff is not a bolt-on fit to the sedan subframe and neither is the rear swaybar.

This mod is currently in development and you can read a bit of recent discussion about that here. With a little after-market support the Sedan Subframe Swap has strong potential to become a cost-effective, fully bolt-on procedure. If that happens, along with a couple other in-development parts, it will become cheap and easy to give a Genesis Coupe one of the stiffest, stoutest, most huckable and fun rear-ends in all of modern sports-cars.

The GenCoupe, as you've experienced, is already no slouch in stock form. However, Hyundai left so much great engineering 'on the table' so to speak. It's turning out to be a bit of a tuner's paradise, even though the platform has had a rough start; with nowhere near the early support as, say, the Scion FR-S.

Hyundai's relatively recent announcement that the Genesis Coupe won't get a direct replacement has spurred on after-market development on the so-called BK1 and BK2 model GenCoupes. These cars are it, there will be no more after the BK2 production run expires.

So, that leaves buyers like you in a pretty nice position. It's now a very interesting car to pick up with values in reducing decline. 2013 cars have heaved off a lot of depreciation, and are a similar value proposition to the 2010 model GenCoupe we ourselves picked up back in 2013.

The one thing I'm wondering on (feel free to tell me which forum to look in) is that I'm seeing a f**ton of GCs on sale, all at right around 60k miles.
The Genesis Coupe has no deadly service "grenade" so to speak. That said, the OEM flywheel and clutch assembly does not last long on these cars. The friction disk is plenty beefy and tends not to wear out. It's that damn dual mass flywheel that kicks the bucket and needs replacing. The MSRP on the OEM unit is more than $1000. Crazysauce.

Good news is that the V6 GenCoupe is just begging for a single mass flywheel. There are several avaliable now, but we think none compare to the ACT Xact flywheel. It's the only single-mass unit available that is SFI Spec Certified and it by far most resembles the OEM part.

So if you buy a Genesis Coupe, expect to do a full clutch rebuild with flywheel. Soon. Our DMF was already starting to sh*t the bed at 40,000 miles. We replaced it preemptively when our slave cylinder died.

Other than that, the things are pretty bulletproof and require only tire, brake pad, and fluid changes for a long-ass time. All the factory oil sucks, so upgrade to a good 5w-30 or 5w-40 synthetic engine oil and improved trans/differential oils as well. Our slave cylinder only died because our car sat on a dealer lot for 12 months, collected water, and we were too dumb to bleed the clutch line when we changed our brake fluid.

The main issue to look out for is a manual transmission that has been trashed. A lot of these cars end up with crunched synchros for one reason or another. So when you're buying, just test drive the piss out of them. Drive at full steering lock both left and right, backwards and forwards. The usual car-guy stuff. If the tranny doesn't feel good then walk away. If the seller says it's "just the fluid" then tell them to fix the fluid and call you back with a discount for wasting your time.

Find a good one and treat it right. The Genesis Coupe is very much an old-school sports-car in that respect. If you're good to it, this car is just insanely rewarding. We'd say it's pretty strictly a 'tuner car', at least mildly so. It is decent, but not outstanding in stock form. However, a series of cheap, easy, bolt-on changes can really transform these cars into something special.

If that sounds like your kind of drink, then I'd say dive on in. If you want to buy something and leave it absolutely, totally, %100 stock then go get yourself a nice BMW. It'll be great.

But for a cheaper car that is potentially WAY more fun you need to get yourself a GenCoupe V6. >:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Agreed with StrangeLiform. The GDI v6 is a more than adequate engine. I think the best part of the gen coupe is the chasis stiffness. The worst part is the transmission. PS pump on hard driving will overheat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i took an Audi S5.... thought it was a fluke so we went again. Took him the second time too.
I've always been really happy with these GCs, that guy, not so much!

·
2013 GC Track (MT) 66k mi
6 Posts
Thanks for the response. I found a 2013 Black GC Track that was almost identical, down to the mileage, to the one I'd test drove. Noticed no problems, other than the "finicky" MT that everyone complains about. That's just me learning to be more precise... For mine, the engine had been replaced only about 5k miles before, and the local Hyundai dealership checked it out and passed it as having no problems (they had also done all the earlier service on it). I've now had it since August and had no issues at all so far. Given that I live in a smaller city in FL, I am likely to keep my driving well under the 10k average per year, so it will slowly gravitate to more of an "average" mileage per year car...

Thanks for the pointers to the other threads, too.

·
IG: jasonlikedthis
775 Posts
Raced my friend's 370 over the weekend. I'll have to say, those things are quick. He pulled on me every time. He was completely stock while I have the mods listed in my sig.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Raced my friend's 370 over the weekend. I'll have to say, those things are quick. He pulled on me every time. He was completely stock while I have the mods listed in my sig.
My neighbor just bought a new 370Z manual trans. I believe it's the 323hp one.Any way we never raced from a dig or rollon. But we did play in the mountains. Let's just say my slighty modded heavy ass auto GC got respect on those tight twisty mtn roads,lol. Still love the 370Z platform, just wish it had back seats.

·
775 Posts
My neighbor just bought a new 370Z manual trans. I believe it's the 323hp one.Any way we never raced from a dig or rollon. But we did play in the mountains. Let's just say my slighty modded heavy ass auto GC got respect on those tight twisty mtn roads,lol. Still love the 370Z platform, just wish it had back seats.
Yeah, my buddy has the 2009 370z. These were straight line races from a 40-60 roll and he got me all runs. Was thinking I could of kept up a little better after my tune but guess not lol. My o2 housing is definitely a restriction!! The Z's are some good crafted machines.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Still love the 370Z platform, just wish it had back seats.
Exactly why I haven't dropped the hammer on a 370 yet. I've had my eye on the Nismo since it released in '09, but I really needed rear seats. I'm looking at a '14 with low mileage now. Not replacing my Genny, just another car for datenite with the Mrs.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I work at a dealership and drive many different vehicles every week. Honestly, after a full day driving everything from 370s and Challengers to S550 Benzs and 4, 5 and 6-series Bimmers, I'm happy to get into my Genny. It might not be the fastest nor the most luxurious, but I bought it because I liked it and after 4+ years of ownership, I still thoroughly enjoy it. That said, I've driven many of the GC's competitors and they don't stack up to the GC imho. The FR-S/BRZ twins are underpowered and suffer from poor interior design and lack of quality. Their stock wheels and tires beg to be put on a Corolla while the back seats are useless. The Camaros are too heavy with poor visibility from inside and like the Challys and Chargers, they're gas-hungry. The IS250/350s look nice but are underpowered and unimpressive in the interior department. The G37s also have nice sheet metal and a decent exhaust note, but are overpriced considering they have almost the same features as a 3.8 Track/Ultimate. Don't get me wrong, I'm an admirer of cars in general, regardless of make/model, but our cars are truly unique in many different ways, even if they're Hyundais. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Humble1 Did you try the 2.0T as well? I wonder what your take is, when comparing it to those cars and its direct competitors I mean. I haven't driven as many different cars as you and possibly others in this Forum, so I wonder :).

·
Registered
30 Posts
@Humble1 Did you try the 2.0T as well? I wonder what your take is, when comparing it to those cars and its direct competitors I mean. I haven't driven as many different cars as you and possibly others in this Forum, so I wonder :).
I wonder, is it really that different? I mean, the ride 2.0 vs 3.8. I have the 3.8 but never tried the 2.0

·
shorttrack
1,623 Posts
Turbo 2.0's are slow .>:D

·
Registered
315 Posts
I ran a 370 from a roll at 40+ and like 3 car lenths on it on my 2016 r-spec i dont have a tune i belive the genesis has more high speed than the z 370

·
775 Posts

·
shorttrack
1,623 Posts
I researched before choosing my 2014 3.6 R-spec, 340 plus crank hp 3.8 V6 vs 270 plus crank hp turbo 2.0 was my reason I purchased the 3.8 V 6 option .

861 - 880 of 919 Posts