Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

921 - 927 of 927 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Are WRXs any good? From what I know the newer models have different driving modes and in sport mode you feel the throttle quickly.
They are unreliable and brakes easy, but so is bk2 gen 2.0.
In general Subary are unreliable for the past 20 years, while Hyundai been average for the past 15.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
View attachment 75631

2020 Lexus RC 350 F Sport RWD

Starting Price $49,000
  • V6 3.5L
  • 311 hp
  • 0-60 5.8 Sec
  • Curb Curb Weight 3,748
Genesis Coupe BK2 3.8 Track/Ultimate
  • V6 3.8L
  • 350 hp
  • 0-60 5.2 sec.
  • Curb Weight 3,563
Before we got our 2015 Ultimate, we also drove an RC 200T and an RC 350. The 2 liter turbo was just underpowered and the 3.5 V6 was nice but it was TOO nice. Read that as too much tech in the car. We wanted something more basic and the Gen Coupe fit that perfectly. The RC 350 had some things that would have been nice to have in the Coupe (vented seats (not just heated), power passenger seats, slightly more rear passenger room), but the tech was just too much.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Before we got our 2015 Ultimate, we also drove an RC 200T and an RC 350. The 2 liter turbo was just underpowered and the 3.5 V6 was nice but it was TOO nice. Read that as too much tech in the car. We wanted something more basic and the Gen Coupe fit that perfectly. The RC 350 had some things that would have been nice to have in the Coupe (vented seats (not just heated), power passenger seats, slightly more rear passenger room), but the tech was just too much.
Same here. I did a lot of research on the best value for the dollar and the Genesis Coupe came out on top. I agree with you about the RC 350. Although pricey, The Lexus LC 500 is NICE!

·
Premium Member
15,171 Posts
They are unreliable and brakes easy, but so is bk2 gen 2.0.
In general Subary are unreliable for the past 20 years, while Hyundai been average for the past 15.

In general as with most cars, subbies are reliable as long as you don't fiddle with them too much.
especially with 2.5l turbo'd subbies. The EJ25 has pretty thin cylinder walls in comparison to the piston diameter.
spark plugs are a PITA to get to (not as bad as mitsu laterally mounted V6, where you have to take apart 1/8 of the engine to get to the rear bank of spark plugs)
The people that usually complain about subbies and reliability are people that had, or know people that had subbies and never changed the belts. When a timing belt snaps, you pretty much grenaded your valve train.
The timing belt thing, isn't just for subbies, its any engine that uses a timing belt.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Whether you’re thinking of buying a Genesis Coupe, considering buying something comparable new or used, or selling your Genesis Coupe, consider that the Genesis Coupe is still relevant in 2020, and if you have one why you might want to keep it - Top specs. Lower price. Better value. Styling ages well, imho.

370Z COUPE NISMO

NEW 2020:
$49,500
  • V6 3.7L
  • 350 hp
  • 0-60: 5-3 sec.
  • Curb Weight: 3,457
  • Passengers: 2
^ Options not standard on the 2020 highest Z/N trim. Price reflects added options for comparison: Rear spoiler, floor and trunk mats, illuminated sill plates. Options NOT available at all for the Z that come with the Genesis Coupe include: Back seats, and sunroof.

Genesis Coupe BK2 3.8 (2013-2016) Track/Ultimate
  • V6 3.8L
  • 350 hp
  • 0-60 5.2 sec.
  • Curb Weight 3,563
  • Passengers: 4
<- Previous Comparison

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
In general as with most cars, subbies are reliable as long as you don't fiddle with them too much.
especially with 2.5l turbo'd subbies. The EJ25 has pretty thin cylinder walls in comparison to the piston diameter.
spark plugs are a PITA to get to (not as bad as mitsu laterally mounted V6, where you have to take apart 1/8 of the engine to get to the rear bank of spark plugs)
The people that usually complain about subbies and reliability are people that had, or know people that had subbies and never changed the belts. When a timing belt snaps, you pretty much grenaded your valve train.
The timing belt thing, isn't just for subbies, its any engine that uses a timing belt.
Up here in Michigan, Subarus are very popular and majority thinks it's great reliable car like Honda, while actual long term dependability is below average.
Every one, I know wtith mid 2000s outback (2.5l) had to get head gasket by 120k.
I sold.my.pile.of **** by 70k, but before I did, I had to replace center dif (bad bearing -5spd manual), rear struts, both front axle boost at 40k and they were almost ripped when sold, wheel bearings. Chain made noise at start up during winter by 60k.
Subarus are made cheap, flimsy, and unrefined, garbage materials....I would compare them to 2002 Elantra.
It pretty bad when my 03 Tiburon GT felt much more refined, had much stronger frame/structure, was significantly more reliable than 06 outback.

·
Premium Member
15,171 Posts
Up here in Michigan, Subarus are very popular and majority thinks it's great reliable car like Honda, while actual long term dependability is below average.
Every one, I know wtith mid 2000s outback (2.5l) had to get head gasket by 120k.
I sold.my.pile.of **** by 70k, but before I did, I had to replace center dif (bad bearing -5spd manual), rear struts, both front axle boost at 40k and they were almost ripped when sold, wheel bearings. Chain made noise at start up during winter by 60k.
Subarus are made cheap, flimsy, and unrefined, garbage materials....I would compare them to 2002 Elantra.
It pretty bad when my 03 Tiburon GT felt much more refined, had much stronger frame/structure, was significantly more reliable than 06 outback.

Actually from 1960 to mid 2000s Subaru and Nissan used the same heavy industry company to machine/manufacture their parts. Fuji heavy industry.

Nissan switch companies when Renault started to take over. When Nissan bailed, Toyota bought stocks in Fuji, then that's when development of the 86 started, and that's how they got their weird toyobaru engine

921 - 927 of 927 Posts