Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 907 Posts

·
The Dabbler
58 Posts
Im a fan of pretty much any car that goes fast or can be modded. I was looking for a car with decent gas mileage as I have to drive about 4-5 hundred miles a week usually. I was looking at all the V6 RWD offerings, camaro, mustang, etc... I got the GC 2.0t because Its one of the sexiest cars on the road in my opinion and with a low base price it was easily the cheapest. I know the mustang has more power but being a big ford fan I couldnt commit to a V6 version. I have a 95 GT that I play with anyway. I know people dog on the 2.0t but I really enjoy driving it and I still pull 30-31 mpg most of the time. I think with the boost in power the 2013 model will be a very attractive offering. The only downfall is how many people have gotten crapped on by hyundai for modding their cars, even just CAI's and so on.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Curious why you dislike it so much. I've never been a fan of the looks, and it seems like a million teenagers drive one, but I've considered getting one over the gc simply because the performance numbers and reviews have been so good. I mean the GT is dead even with an m3 on the dragstrip and around a track, and you can get one for under 30k.
I won't argue it's mostly emotional. Past grievances within my family make Ford permanently unwelcome...we've all moved on to greener pastures. I know this is true for A LOT of people.

But more importantly, I don't consider performance the only reason for buying a car. I sort of have a mental checklist that I keep in my head which consists of 10 things. I don't considering a car worth buying if it doesn't get 7 of the 10.

1. Price
2. Performance (with consideration for fuel economy)
3. Reliability
4. Exterior Styling
5. Interior Styling
6. Technology (options, layout, intuitivity)
7. Resale value
8. Ergonomics (ease of use, comfort, utility)
9. Warranty
10. Brand image

For me, the GT only checks-off items 1, 2, and 3. A different person make have a different list and/or check-off different items because they like the styling and the brand image...or they like the ergonomics. So this is just my opinion. But pending reviews, I believe the 3.8L Genesis Coupe Track or GT will check 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 10 off the list. It may turn out to be a reliable car with high resale value, but I'm not totally convinced yet...but that would add 3 and 7 to the list. The 2013 GC just seems like a more complete car.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I won't argue it's mostly emotional. Past grievances within my family make Ford permanently unwelcome...we've all moved on to greener pastures. I know this is true for A LOT of people.

But more importantly, I don't consider performance the only reason for buying a car. I sort of have a mental checklist that I keep in my head which consists of 10 things. I don't considering a car worth buying if it doesn't get 7 of the 10.

1. Price
3. Reliability
4. Exterior Styling
5. Interior Styling
7. Resale value
9. Warranty
10. Brand image

For me, the GT only checks-off items 1, 2, and 3. A different person make have a different list and/or check-off different items because they like the styling and the brand image...or they like the ergonomics. So this is just my opinion. But pending reviews, I believe the 3.8L Genesis Coupe Track or GT will check 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 10 off the list. It may turn out to be a reliable car with high resale value, but I'm not totally convinced yet...but that would add 3 and 7 to the list. The 2013 GC just seems like a more complete car.
Honestly one of the better posts I've read on this forum in a while. I use a list very similar to that one when car shopping. My only real fault with the Genesis is that it's not very practical (winter and interior space), otherwise I have no issues with it. My next car will either be another Genesis or a Turbo Veloster.

·
Om nom nom
650 Posts

1. Price
3. Reliability
4. Exterior Styling
5. Interior Styling
7. Resale value
9. Warranty
10. Brand image

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I nominate this one for Post of the Thread award.

The only thing I disagree with is 4. 2013 GC exterior is :broken: imho. My friend in Korea says it's because all of the pictures focus on the grill and make it seem bigger than it really is so I'm crossing my fingers that it's not too bad.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Looks are so subjective anyway. Yeah, I could do without the hood vents, but they won't stop be from buying an otherwise IMO great looking car. Even the FRS/BRZ that most people fap over has fake fender vents.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Heh, if someone gave me a Mustang as a gift, I would say thanks and then immediately sell it on Autotrader. Like, if I had to go somewhere to pick up the car, I would be sure to take my camera with me so I could take Autotrader pictures on the spot.
well then, according to some people, you and I aren't car enthusiasts, we r t3h ghey poseurz lolz

texting while driving using my Auto guide app

·
Registered
150 Posts

1. Price
3. Reliability
4. Exterior Styling
5. Interior Styling
7. Resale value
9. Warranty
10. Brand image

I'm not the biggest fan of the Mustang, but why wouldn't you give #6 to the Mustang? Sync is pretty good. I'm also curious how you can give reliability to the Stang and not the Genesis. The 3.8 has been around longer than Ford's 3.7 and both have had their share of transmission issues.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm not the biggest fan of the Mustang, but why wouldn't you give #6 to the Mustang? Sync is pretty good. I'm also curious how you can give reliability to the Stang and not the Genesis. The 3.8 has been around longer than Ford's 3.7 and both have had their share of transmission issues.
It really is just my opinion (it's not the gospel) and I could be off. I haven't dug too deep into Mustang because I'm not a fan of Ford. I just tried to build a few and it looks like you can equip a Mustang GT and V6 similar to a Genesis in terms of technology, but now you are spending $40k+ for the GT and ~$33k for the V6 to get all the extras (and the interior is still a mess). So it's not like you are getting the cheaper car. As far as reliability, people say the Mustang GT is a problem free car...seems like the GC has minor fit/finish/electronics/mechanical issues (could be fixed for 2013). But the GC has a superior warranty so it's no big deal. I think the Mustang V6 and GT need to be separated when comparing them to the Genesis.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The best driver cars ever built don't come with "extras", that is what makes them great cars. If you want doodads, don't worry about the performance aspect as much. If you are truly an enthusiast, you worry about driving......PERIOD.

Best car is powerful engine, light weight (less doodads), big brakes, stiff suspension, tight steering and wide tires.

Essentially, there are not many true drivers cars left unless you build it at home. Modern cars have too much crap in them for a TRUE driving experience.

That said, I do like some luxuries like radio and A/C and cruise control. After that, it is all a waste of money for me. I would rather have a simple stripped out car with weight and cost savings. I don't need electric windows, locks, GPS, back up cameras, ABS, TCS, MP3, HID, or whatever else you have to take in a car today.

Modern tech is great for engines however, and I do like an ECU and EFI.

I guess safety gear is OK, side impact beams, roll over support, AIRBAGS etc. But adds tons of weight and complexity.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The best driver cars ever built don't come with "extras", that is what makes them great cars. If you want doodads, don't worry about the performance aspect as much. If you are truly an enthusiast, you worry about driving......PERIOD.
By your rules, only a Miata falls under that category.

I have a hard time believing that anyone that has a GPS, a nice sound system, and bluetooth automatically disqualify them as an enthusiast.

I guess if wanting a livable car removes my name from the enthusiast hat, then I'll gladly walk away from that.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Does not disqualify you as an enthusiast, but if you are on the phone and looking at a GPS, you surely can't be concentrating on the driving. Sorry if that offends you, but just the facts. Not sure why you need those items for the car to be "livable", maybe they can add a hot coffee maker and bagel toaster in the glove box.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You need those items in the car because it's 2012, not 1963. Cars with technology are better than an empty, ugly, bland interior. You say it as if you'll be on the phone the entire drive or staring at your GPS the entire time.

I like having my handsfree in my car, I can use my phone while I'm on base and don't have to worry about SF pulling me over for it. I love having my GPS in my car, if I need to get home, I'm never lost. I like having these things come stock with my car, I would gladly buy that over a car like the older evos. Don't get me wrong, I like those cars, just could never own them because there's nothing to them.

·
Registered
557 Posts
You need those items in the car because it's 2012, not 1963. Cars with technology are better than an empty, ugly, bland interior. You say it as if you'll be on the phone the entire drive or staring at your GPS the entire time.

I like having my handsfree in my car, I can use my phone while I'm on base and don't have to worry about SF pulling me over for it. I love having my GPS in my car, if I need to get home, I'm never lost. I like having these things come stock with my car, I would gladly buy that over a car like the older evos. Don't get me wrong, I like those cars, just could never own them because there's nothing to them.
+1000000

90% of the time people (even enthusiast) are commuting with these cars, and that means having as many comfort features that enhance that time being spent. Its not like these cars have S class levels of tech in them either.

·
Registered
688 Posts
There are still performance cars that come stripped, so I don't see how 50 year old cars have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lol the price on G37s are upwards of 48k new. The 335i way outperforms it but yes, They are like 55k new. Gen coupe is way cheaper with similar numbers.

The 2011 and 12 mustang GTs outperform but they have all kinds of probs with their manual transmissions. And I think youd get alot more ridicule for an auto v8 mustang over an auto v6 genesis. But the worst thing is ford knew they had manual transmission problems and didn't fix it for the 2012 models. I was a new mustang GT fan boi til I found out about all that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
just pointing it out that the other day, me and my buddy counted 21 Ford Mustangs driving back to base from Target. That's about a 7 mile drive. I'd rather not blend in with the universe.

·
Registered
681 Posts
how about the GC 2.0 or 3.8 vs the 8th gen civic? (**since they love to come to our forums and troll**) for those of you lucky enough to see the thread they made hear earlier.

The Gencoupe would destroy a civic any day of the week.

I'm a Honda lover but people that rice their accords and civics disgust me. (yes, those who rice they GC's disgust me also (rice = blue headlights, loud exhaust without any other real power boost, CF, u know what i mean...)

but back on topic of how the gc would do against an 8th gen (or the newer 9th) civic si: how do we stack up?

101 - 120 of 907 Posts