Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2013 R-Spec for 5 years this month (it was one of the first 2013's to hit the country). I was thinking about lowering the ride height, which for the front looks straightforward, as I have a lot of experience with motorcycles and am used to coilovers and how to adjust them. The rear is a separate shock and spring. Is there any adjustment for the rear? I didn't see any obvious height adjustment, so I'm assuming you'd have to change out the springs, but that would lower the travel, which might not necessarily be good.

I got the SFR ECU flash in December and am happy with it. It took all the "wa-wa-wa" out of the acceleration, which I assume was the ECU cutting the engine back at every tiny hint of wheel spin. It would do this even with the traction control set to "off". Now it just pulls. As long as you're above 4k on the tach, the engine will respond instantly, and the extended redline is very cool. Below 4k RPM the engine response still feels a bit lazy to me, but I'm used to carbureted engines where the response is instantaneous.

For all of you who are new to the 3.8, I have some observations.

The first thing I do if there's no ice on the road is turn off the traction control. The traction control on the Genesis is WAY overly aggressive and will cut the throttle back at every opportunity. I was crossing a road in the wet, the back wheels broke loose just a bit, and the traction control almost put me through the windshield. I would rather the traction and stability control worked the other way, where you would have to push the button to enable it rather than to disable it.

The 3.8 horsepower curve is almost a perfect 45 degree straight line. This means the car has very little power down low, and it gains power the faster it spins. If you want to drive this car fast, you have to keep the tach to the right side of vertical. If the tach needle is on the left side of the tack and you are expecting thrilling acceleration, it's not going to happen. This is why new owners have a bit of problem with the clutch engagement, because the motor doesn't have a lot of torque down low.

The wheelbase is nearly square, so the rear will step out in a hurry. Most cars nowadays are designed to understeer, but the Genesis Coupe is apparently not, which I'm fine with. If I had the money for new tires, it would be tremendous fun to find a big patch of concrete and spend some time drifting around.

I wish first gear was just a tick taller. It's not as low as a "granny gear", but it's close. If I wasn't concerned with clutch wear I'd be tempted to simply take off in 2nd.

The fuel mileage gauge is just silly. Battery volts or almost anything else would have been better.

·
Bill
587 Posts
stock ecu was programmed by a practical joker. lag time on pressing throttle was variable so you couldn't get used to it. i used to start in second if there was even a hint of a downhill.
with a tune i rather enjoy first but yeah, briefly... i probly shift into second before 10mph.

·
2013 3.8 Auto
58 Posts
The fuel mileage gauge is just silly. Battery volts or almost anything else would have been better.
I don't really mind any of the gauges, would rather have them than not. I think they would be more useful next to the tach/seepdometer instead of the center console; but I would trade them all in a heartbeat for a decent HUD on the windshield.

Also I think that they just put whatever gauges in there so people already have a spot to put whatever gauge they really want in there without the pod pillar or screwing them on top of the dashboard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts