Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that since January i can hear a noise when im in gear coasting or slowing down. While the temperature has dropped, i originally thought it would be the trans oil that is cold and thick but even after letting the car warm up. I can still hear it in every gear as i coast and slow down in whatever gear it is.

Wondering if anyone has heard this or can tell me the cause?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is the whine constant or does it change with the rpms as they go higher/lower?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the whine is constant while only coasting and slowing in rpms no matter the gear im in. As soon as you hit the gas it stops.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if im cruising at 40km doing 3k rpm in second. I let off gas and rpms slowly start to drop, while they drop the whine can be heard, almost like its coming from intake. This did not happen prior to January. Doesnt matter if car is fully warmed up or cold :( - Hope that helps explain.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It almost sounds like an old honda automatic transmission slowing down...... If that helps anyone.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you ever changed the transmission or differential fluid? If so when and what type? Have you noticed any weird/unusual smells or oil spots?

Many possibilities, hard to diagnose over the internet. Keep in mind noises often transfer easier in the cold. My car creaks way more after a cold front moves through than when its 60F+.

A few years back I had an LSD installed and the shop didn't properly seal my differential. I waited too long and had been leaking oil (left a film on the rear of my car, more noticeable after driving hard). Definitely started whining too. Eventually it lost enough and some gears seized together in the diff (the front pinion fused with the diff case). Not to scare you but definitely look around your usual parking spots and check the differential and transmission for any oil. If you've never changed the fluid it might be a good idea to flush them. The OEM fluid has had a lot of complaints over the years. I've had much better shifts with Red Line, though I got to let the car warm up a bit when at or below freezing. I'm using taking my SUV then anyway.

Noticed you also posted about burning smell after hard acceleration. Another reason to check for any fluids around the car or identify where the smell is coming from.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shadow im very happy you have responded.

Im the second owner of this car and have only had it for 3 months. I have never changed the trans or diff fluid, was always told never to touch the manual fluid unless there is a leak? Maybe thats old school knowledge with the NA v8s i used to drive. But a bit of a concern after reading your info about OEM fluid.

What sparks interest the most is that I have noticed allot of unusual smells! randomly too, like not just if a drive a certain way. Almost smells like plastic, but much less then burning clutch. But i have seen no oil what so ever leak. I have also had the dealer look under for anything and nothing is found. The only piece of mind i have is that i have warranty for another 5 years.

Should i be looking at doing a diff and trans flush? Does redline provide fluids for both? or would the diff fluid be something else?

Im trying to post a video clip of sound and the site is not letting me. .mov extensions dont seem to work. How should i post a video?

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you do a search you'll find countless threads of people having had gear grinding or difficulty with syncros. Most issues are fixed or heavily mitigated with aftermarket fluid and trans/diff mounts. Keep in mind the later add more vibrations, but keep things solid. I didn't have any grinding in my case, but definitely helped my shifts.

If you don't see any oil then things might be fine.When you purchased the car did you receive any maintenance history form the previous owner?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
unfortunately the car came with 0 records from previous owner. It was through a dealership. I wish i had some trails to follow - Will be taking the car in within another 1-2k km for an oil change. Will get them to take a look at the grinding and whining noise as well as burning smells. Going to ask them to check diff and trans fluid.

I guess if i want a flush with redline i will need to do that at a different shop? or buy from a store and bring to dealer? Did you use redline for both your diff and trans?

·
Registered
133 Posts
All depends on the dealer/shop. Some don't want to use external materials and just try to sell what they like or make money off. Others just take the work and charge you the labor.

I went red-line for both, but different weights. There are of course debates and preferences all over the forum. I've been running:
Transmission: MT-85 (75W85) GL-4
Differential: 75W90 GL-5

·
Premium Member
15,368 Posts
It could be the throwout bearing going.

Driving habit - do you press the clutch to coast, or shift to neutral and not rest your foot on the clutch pedal?
doing the former wears out the throw out bearing/clutch slave faster than normal.
Does it make the noise while coasting in neutral and not resting your foot on the pedal?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can vouch for what shadow said about the aftermarket fluid and mounts, I haven't changed my transmission fluid yet but have heard from several people that it really does make a difference. I just recently upgraded the transmission mount and the difference is night and day. The engagement point for the clutch is much more defined and the car shifts into 1st and 2nd much better than before. I haven't notice any added vibrations, if anything the ride feels smoother because 1st and 2nd are much easier to handle now.

I'm planning on changing the transmission fluid soon and found these videos on YouTube. It seems like a pretty straight forward job, maybe they'll be useful for you:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you for the responses above.

@ AKGC- I did ask if it was the bearing but was told it would make noise when we depress the clutch.
- I will ask them to double check that next time.

• I dont hold the clutch to coast. But i have only owned the car for about 5000 kms, i took a risk and got the car with no previous records because it looked pristine. I try not to rest my foot on the peddle for fear of what you described and always downshift or neutral. Car is just shy of 90k now.
  • I will have to try to see if it makes the whining noise while coasting in neutral. So far it has been occurring when im in gear letting the rpm drop while i coast. ( like before going to neutral and complete stop).
  • I asked them to check the dif and trans fluid and was told all looks good.
- I found out this car has been tuned, as thats what the mechanic said last trip since the rev limiter has been raised past 7k. Which makes me a bit nervous since they never disclosed that and said it was a stock car with basic bolt ons. So i bought the extended H warranty for piece of mind to find this out months later.. Was told by the shop that as long as i come back their i wont have issues. But still, seems like a void contact since they lied about the car since day one.

A part of me wants what they said in writing, but im wondering if i should open that can of worms or wait to see if they give me trouble on a claim and then bring it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts