Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this car a few days ago and was reading through the manuals. It talks about the reverse detection thingy, and on the next page says how to use the reverse camera (if installed). I figured that meant it was an upgradable option, however my Hyundai parts guys says it is not.

I wanted to check if this was true, and if so, does anyone know of a way to get a camera to work with the touchscreen?

·
Go Hyundai!
1,009 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I bought this car a few days ago and was reading through the manuals. It talks about the reverse detection thingy, and on the next page says how to use the reverse camera (if installed). I figured that meant it was an upgradable option, however my Hyundai parts guys says it is not.

I wanted to check if this was true, and if so, does anyone know of a way to get a camera to work with the touchscreen?
Ok bro so the American version DOES NOT have a back up camera which you clearly know BUT the part is able to be ordered. I googled :gc-google: "2014 Genesis Coupe back up camera" and found it for around $100 shipped. Now once you do that and read this forum http://www.gencoupe.com/electrical-wiring-2013-up/254473-2013-stock-nav-hacking.html I think its 100% do-able

·
Registered
13 Posts
No it does not. Hyundai made it pretty clear the coupe did not come with a camera. Are you saying yours did? If so I need to go back and have a talk with some people ...
Hyundai did not make it pretty clear that the Genesis doesn't come with rear camera. In fact, my "Car Multimedia System User's Manual" states "This system has been equipped with a rear camera to help allow wider rear range of vision." It's on page 7-5. And yet, it doesn't show the camera when I put in in reverse.

·
True N00b
114 Posts
Yea, this is bull crap. I was on the Hyundai USA ordering site and it just says "Rear parking assistance system". I know that South Korea and Canada get them, that's just plain stupid. It's literally more than stupid. It is...in fact, the dumbest thing I've read in a very long time. Why would you release this car in the US with less options? Options that EVERY other car in this range come stock with? Stupid, stupid, stupid. I also NEED a back up camera, because...well, trust me. I need one. Gosh, Hyundai is pissing me off more and more each day. >.<

Edit: I'm going to go ahead and say this so I don't get flamed...I don't actually "care" if ALL the other cars in the world in this range have them or not. I really don't. All the other cars in the pricerange I'm considering have them, lol. The ones that I am interested in. Either way, that's just annoying. :p

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yea, this is bull crap. I was on the Hyundai USA ordering site and it just says "Rear parking assistance system". I know that South Korea and Canada get them, that's just plain stupid. It's literally more than stupid. It is...in fact, the dumbest thing I've read in a very long time. Why would you release this car in the US with less options? Options that EVERY other car in this range come stock with? Stupid, stupid, stupid. I also NEED a back up camera, because...well, trust me. I need one. Gosh, Hyundai is pissing me off more and more each day. >.<

Edit: I'm going to go ahead and say this so I don't get flamed...I don't actually "care" if ALL the other cars in the world in this range have them or not. I really don't. All the other cars in the pricerange I'm considering have them, lol. The ones that I am interested in. Either way, that's just annoying. :p
Hyundai does some weird things like that. In Canada you don't get TPMS on the Genesis.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok bro so the American version DOES NOT have a back up camera which you clearly know BUT the part is able to be ordered. I googled :gc-google: "2014 Genesis Coupe back up camera" and found it for around $100 shipped. Now once you do that and read this forum http://www.gencoupe.com/electrical-wiring-2013-up/254473-2013-stock-nav-hacking.html I think its 100% do-able
From that thread it doesn't look 100% do-able... Or at least there's been no progress towards fitting the US 2014s with it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
From what I read the US version of the nav system was not possible to get back up camera to function with it.

However, for less than $45, I bought camera, display, and wireless connection (which you could omit and save some $$). Install was easy, works great, and even has the lines on screen with colored green/yellow,red zones. Hard to beat for that price.

Glenn

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
From what I read the US version of the nav system was not possible to get back up camera to function with it.

However, for less than $45, I bought camera, display, and wireless connection (which you could omit and save some $$). Install was easy, works great, and even has the lines on screen with colored green/yellow,red zones. Hard to beat for that price.

Glenn
Can you share some pics of how your $45 setup looks like as far as placement inside the car?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Here you go.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hey that isn't such a bad location actually! I may consider doing this! I appreciate you.

What is that brand youre using?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey that isn't such a bad location actually! I may consider doing this! I appreciate you.

What is that brand youre using?
I got them from Amazon:
http://amzn.com/B005CFLMNC

http://amzn.com/B00GSFIJS6
I also got this, but found that to work best I had to power the camera and monitor from the back up lights, so I ended up running a wire from back to front under the door sill, which was super easy, so I would omit this part and just run the video cable from the back to front with the power wire.

http://amzn.com/B008Z9E4DW

My camera is glitching a little bit and I suspect that part, so I am going to just run the video wire one of these days and junk that wireless component.

Hope that helps. I just used double stick tape to mount the camera and it seems very secure (the automotive kind used to attach trim pieces, like a double stick foam from 3M.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts