Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How’s it going people! I’ve recently got a 2014 Genesis coupe 2.0T. I noticed I’m having really bad cold start problems. When starting the engine usually sometimes it will rev to 2k rpms then ease back down to 900 rpms. After about 3 mins it sounds like it almost wants to stall so I give it a lil bit of gas. Once I drive the car for about 30 to 40 min it seems and drive ok. I also noticed my PSI gage would fluctuate pretty good when the car is not moving like at a red light. I thought I had a turbo leak so I took it to Hyundai dealer and they said the turbo is running at its proper PSI range. I’ve already changed the sparked plugs, and oil change. Still having the rough idle problem. Just as of recently I look at my engine and is see a lil bit of some type of oil or fluid around my cold air intake and around the engine like it’s seeping from inside. The cold start has been happening to me since I’ve got the vehicle and wasn’t to bad at first but the got progressively worse. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
465 Posts
Is your car tuned?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How’s it going people! I’ve recently got a 2014 Genesis coupe 2.0T. I noticed I’m having really bad cold start problems. When starting the engine usually sometimes it will rev to 2k rpms then ease back down to 900 rpms. After about 3 mins it sounds like it almost wants to stall so I give it a lil bit of gas. Once I drive the car for about 30 to 40 min it seems and drive ok. I also noticed my PSI gage would fluctuate pretty good when the car is not moving like at a red light. I thought I had a turbo leak so I took it to Hyundai dealer and they said the turbo is running at its proper PSI range. I’ve already changed the sparked plugs, and oil change. Still having the rough idle problem. Just as of recently I look at my engine and see lol but of oil from inside the engine where the cam shafts are.
Is your car tuned?
im not 100% I bought it from a 3rd party dealer. Someone was definitely doing something to it. The throttle body has already been bypassed. I had it for about 5 months.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not 100% I bought it from a 3rd party dealer. Someone was definitely doing something to it. The throttle body has already been bypassed. I had it for about 5 months.
I’m uploading videos now.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am not going to lie to you. I have NEVER seen anything like that on your intercooler piping. How it has a Y to bypass the throttle body and take it behind the engine somewhere?
I think this is well above my knowledge. However. when you are stopped, the turbo doesn't make pressure or "PSI" it makes vacuum which directly correlates with the induction system. Whatever that setup is that bypasses the throttle body, could 100% cause some issue relating to that.

I hope someone else on the forum has some knowledge or experience with that. That is well above anything I've seen. It looks OEM though, so if anyone knows what it is and wants to call me an idiot, please do. I would like to learn.

One thing I do recommend doing though because you said you replaced your plugs, make sure they are gapped correctly. Mine are gapped to .028. My car ran terrible when it was slightly larger.

Reactions: JJ5073

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not going to lie to you. I have NEVER seen anything like that on your intercooler piping. How it has a Y to bypass the throttle body and take it behind the engine somewhere?
I think this is well above my knowledge. However. when you are stopped, the turbo doesn't make pressure or "PSI" it makes vacuum which directly correlates with the induction system. Whatever that setup is that bypasses the throttle body, could 100% cause some issue relating to that.

I hope someone else on the forum has some knowledge or experience with that. That is well above anything I've seen. It looks OEM though, so if anyone knows what it is and wants to call me an idiot, please do. I would like to learn.

One thing I do recommend doing though because you said you replaced your plugs, make sure they are gapped correctly. Mine are gapped to .028. My car ran terrible when it was slightly larger.
Ive heard a bunch of different gapping measurements.

Haha no problem man thank you. So the bypass is just the intercooler looping itself instead of the hot fluid going to the throttle body. You can see in the video right in front of the engine how the tube loops. I’ve read a bunch of different gap measurements in regards to the spark plugs. I’ll gap them at that. If anybody else has any suggestions on what it could be pls LMK. I will probably end up changing the throttle body itself or clean it idk yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Haha no problem man thank you. So the bypass is just the intercooler looping itself instead of the hot fluid going to the throttle body. You can see in the video right in front of the engine how the tube loops. I’ve read a bunch of different gap measurements in regards to the spark plugs. I’ll gap them at that. If anybody else has any suggestions on what it could be pls LMK. I will probably end up changing the throttle body itself or clean it idk yet.
It almost sounds like the throttle body but then theres that really bad clicking noise coming from literally behind throttle body area.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Well intercoolers don't have any liquid in them. That is why I am confused. It is all air.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yes that is the coolant bypass for lower IATs. I have never seen it look anything like that though.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Mmm ok so should I reroute it back to the TB or do think it’s fine?
I haven't a clue. Like I said, I have never seen that. I don't wanna influence you to do anything and have it screw something up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gotcha thanks again!
I haven't a clue. Like I said, I have never seen that. I don't wanna influence you to do anything and have it screw something up.
I went ahead and gapped them at .028. I went to auto zone and did it there. I had a bit more power. I will update if it solved the issue HIGHLY doubt it. Next thing I will check is the TB.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went ahead and gapped them at .028. I went to auto zone and did it there. I had a bit more power. I will update if it solved the issue HIGHLY doubt it. Next thing I will check is the TB.
Would a air leak seem more likely then IATs coolant bypass?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts