Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 2015 Genesis Coupe with the 3.8 and manual transmission. He blew up the engine and we have a replacement for it and are wondering if this is something that we can do ourselves or should pay someone to do. I am pretty good with cars but have never swapped a motor on a "modern" car. I have looked through the forums and there are discussions, but I cant seem to find a good step by step or even a summary of what it would take. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
165 Posts
id say, easy if you have same motor from same model.
1 weekend on a drive way,

- Remove front bumper rad and core support
- Unbolt transmission
- Detach accessories
- pull out the motor
- put in new one

Just make sure to get all needed gaskets like for exhaust, intake etc.
Also if you have a 2nd motor its worth getting timing chain and service while the motor is still out of the body.

If you are inclined mechancally it should not be a problem just takes a bit of time and tools

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
My son has a 2015 Genesis Coupe with the 3.8 and manual transmission. He blew up the engine and we have a replacement for it and are wondering if this is something that we can do ourselves or should pay someone to do. I am pretty good with cars but have never swapped a motor on a "modern" car. I have looked through the forums and there are discussions, but I cant seem to find a good step by step or even a summary of what it would take. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike
Describe "blew up" because some peoples' definitions of blew up is just a blown head gasket. Others' (if not all) is windowing the block.

As far as swapping the motor, it's just about the same as any other car.
Unbolt the hood and move it out of the way.
Unbolt AC and power steering pumps and move to the side, disconnect all line and unplug all the wiring.
Unbolt the trans and motor mounts, then wiggle and pull it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar situation, but different question. I have a 2016 spec-r manual coupe. Could I use the 3.8L motor out of a 2014 Genesis Sedan with an auto transmission as a direct replacement?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the comments. I have started the process today. The engine has a rod knock and all kinds of metal in the oil so its no good anymore. I bought the exact same engine and am getting close to pulling it but there is one item that I am not sure how to disconnect. Is anyone able to tell me how I should go about taking off the part in question? I want to make sure it is not something pressurized or something I should be careful with.

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
Thank you all for the comments. I have started the process today. The engine has a rod knock and all kinds of metal in the oil so its no good anymore. I bought the exact same engine and am getting close to pulling it but there is one item that I am not sure how to disconnect. Is anyone able to tell me how I should go about taking off the part in question? I want to make sure it is not something pressurized or something I should be careful with.

Thanks!!
I believe you just unbolt it from the valve cover, but leave the line connected.
It's the high pressure fuel pump driven by the cam, because the motor is direct injected.

if it's been sitting for a while, you can undo the line. Just remember to put a rag over it just encase there is still some pressure in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts