Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I got a 2016 gen 3.8 a/t back in November runs great and all however, I recently tested the 0-60 and i get about 6.3-6.5 seconds with an extra passenger and a sub in the back. My understanding is this car should run at the marketed/calculated 5.1s or low 5's at stock 348hp and 3600lbs curb weight. Any inputs? And yes I turn off the TC and tried without stability control as well. I also use the standard automatic launch with break rev to 2k/max rpm and then launch. Getting a cold air intake to replace the stock maybe its not getting enough air but I want to hear your thoughts....lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
The automatic transmission is likely part of the problem.... Save your money on the intake and get a tune on the transmission electronics

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean? What could be wrong with the transmission, I dont feel an issue with the transmission, its smooth, just feels like its lacking power. If you are trying to argue the whole manual vs automatic thing check this video out.
Only thing different that I see is that he has removed the stock intake to an r2c, but still that is a big difference from my times. So I am trying to figure this out and if some of you guys who have the same car are experiencing the same issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
How many miles on the car? I got my 2015 3.8 automatic new and I ran it at the drag strip with about 3500 miles and best time I got was a 14.4, no where close to the times other people are making. The more miles the quicker it seems. Like the engine is still breaking in

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have about 19000km or 11.8k miles, so I don't think that is an issue :/

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
93 octane?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didnt think about the fuel.. I used 87 octane lol but does that along with the passenger result in this time? I will try it out again with 93 and without passenger

·
Registered
77 Posts
Losing extra weight always helps the ET (passenger, skinny driver, spare tire, jack, etc).
Higher octane won't hurt, esp if you drive enough to let the engine retune itself.
Also, don't mix any corn into the gas (ethanol), IOW use pure gasoline for your timed runs as it gives both better performance AND fuel mileage (but not enough better mileage to offset the higher cost as a daily driver fuel)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
200 lb pasenger ~ same as you would take away 18-20 whp.

Run 93 octane for one full tank and test it out againe next fill up (Don't fill full, fill half a tank worth to keep weight down, 12 gal = 75.6 lb)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roger that, will try that out. Thanks for reply guys. :D

·
'13 3.8 Track
858 Posts
Adeptmk - I'm sure everyone replying is assuming that you're using Sport Mode with T/C off. If you're not, then you're going to lose a lot of time running your 0 - 60.

Also, you shouldn't need to disable the 2nd stage of T/C, but it may help.

Edit - just looked at your video...it looks like you are using Sport Mode. Although I think it's weird that you're hitting 2nd at 20 mph.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah he's shifting way to early. Most of the torque comes from the lower gears and he's already at 3rd by the time he hits 60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Obsessed
1,186 Posts
I can't open your video on my ship (cyber nanny says no YouTube) but if you're shifting the 8A/T manually, don't. It actually shifts faster if you put it in Sport and let it shift itself than if you shift it manually, something like 150ms vs. 250ms. Remember that we don't get full power from the car unless you're running 93 octane, and as mentioned lose the passenger and only fill the tank half full. Disable T/C but leave S/C on, and be sure you're not spinning your wheels, lost traction doesn't move the car. And of course you can always bleed a bit of pressure off the rear tires to get better traction if needed. As to the A/T vs. M/T debate, the A/T actually registers a faster 0-60 time due to the final gear ratios.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope I didnt shift manually pointless. Even the guy in the video doesnt shift manually, shifts right before redline. However I and like the guy in the video put it to sport mode and shift down so you can see first gear, that way it doesnt randomly shift to second faster. Even if u put it to manual mode the car saves itself and shifts right before red anyways lol. Difference is the guy in the vid got 5.22 seconds I was getting 6.3-6.4. Just trying to figure out if going with a passenger, 30lb sub and 87 octane will do that to you... il retest again when my fuel runs out and i do a round of 93 octane and then half. il taake out sub and do it solo :D

·
'13 3.8 Track
858 Posts
LOL...well, now that you said that, I'm thinking that you have a weak leg muscle. MASH that throttle!!

:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hahah ehrm i also have a sprint booster v2. Soooooo I dont think thats quite it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was looking at the ground mod by titan actually.... could it be possible that I dont have enough ground because of an added sub connected to the sub in the back....i.e. impacting fuel pump or something?

·
Obsessed
1,186 Posts
Could very well be, I've seen quite a few folks who had pretty significant results (at least in butt dyno) from improving the grounding. It's standard practice for those of us who installed a turbo kit on the 3.8 to do better engine grounding when we have everything apart already. It's a fairly cheap and easy thing to do an upgrade to the grounding, so definitely worth a try considering the added load to your electrical with the audio setup.

Reactions: adeptmk
1 - 18 of 18 Posts