Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Go Hyundai!
1,009 Posts
Most of those cars will do marginally better than a Z in a strait stretch run, also take those 3600-3800 lbs to a track run vs a 3200 lbs Z and see what happens - and Nissan said the next z will be about 2800 lbs and more power. And SRT big boy cars with 500+ hp cost more like 40-50K. Anddd....you ask most car guys you want a Korean Camaro v8 or a real american brand v8 I can tell you which one most American consumers will buy...established names and brands like mustangs/Camaros/challengers.
Just for reference, those cars are not 3600-3800 lbs. The Charger and Challenger are 4300 lbs and Camaro SS is 3900 lbs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was ballparking...I didn't realize they got that heavy. The z is actually 3300 not 3200.

·
Clutch Burner
766 Posts

·
TmVlZCBTcGVlZAo=
993 Posts
"An 8 speed automatic gearbox is also in the works..." -yes, because that option isn't already available? I love all the rumors, they're hilarious vaporware till I can go to the dealer and order my "v8 with awd" (sorry another person in another thread said they read this in their local paper this morning... LOL)
I know it's almost like this is a vision into the past!

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I just read in a newspaper that it is official. The 2.0t will be dropped and they will have a v8 awd option for the genesis coupe based on the sedan model.
It's definitely official. The official Hyundai USA website no longer lists a 2.0t and the "base" 3.8 starts at 26k now.

·
Clutch Burner
766 Posts
It's definitely official. The official Hyundai USA website no longer lists a 2.0t and the "base" 3.8 starts at 26k now.
We've known about the 2.0 going away for a long time now. But show me the v8 awd option and I'll show you someone ready to buy it this second. That's not official at all and I'll be honest, I don't think it'll ever happen on this car.

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
i wonder if it will have the same allure to unaware pedestrians. Curious if it will make people ask what it is, i got my bk1 in 2011, and while I dont get as many now, but back then my god! every time I would go to the gas station I would get into a 10 minute talk about my car! I hope the redesign is something radical, and not another mundane facelift. The z shape on the rear quarter panel/door is a very iconic look, I hope the design team can keep it a mysterious looking car, and not follow current designs like the new 3/4/5/6/7 seriese bmw, the horrible looking front on the lexus IS, and such

·
Registered
56 Posts
Guess it makes sense, since they dropped the four cylinder for 2015, they'd need more power for a heavier and more "premium" car. Problem is, nobody I know cross shops Audi, BMW, Infiniti and Hyundai. There is no room for Hyundai as a "premium" brand and unfortunately dropping their volume seller I think is a mistake. 35,495 for a v6. Glad I got a turbo when I could. If I'm going to spend 35k, I'm definitely not getting a Hyundai. The premium brands Hyundai is targeting are levels above the Koreans in terms of refinement and luxury appeal.

Just my two cents. Excited to see how it all plays out. Rumors have the Veloster getting an upgraded turbo to step into the gen coupe gap for entry level buyers, but after having this RWD I wouldn't ever go back to FWD.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Guess it makes sense, since they dropped the four cylinder for 2015, they'd need more power for a heavier and more "premium" car. Problem is, nobody I know cross shops Audi, BMW, Infiniti and Hyundai. There is no room for Hyundai as a "premium" brand and unfortunately dropping their volume seller I think is a mistake. 35,495 for a v6. Glad I got a turbo when I could. If I'm going to spend 35k, I'm definitely not getting a Hyundai. The premium brands Hyundai is targeting are levels above the Koreans in terms of refinement and luxury appeal.

Just my two cents. Excited to see how it all plays out. Rumors have the Veloster getting an upgraded turbo to step into the gen coupe gap for entry level buyers, but after having this RWD I wouldn't ever go back to FWD.
I thought the veloster rumor was it getting chopped.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
716 Posts
I thought the veloster rumor was it getting chopped.
I read the same thing, I think it was in a Hyundai newsletter about 3 months ago.

·
Registered
292 Posts
With the Elantra coupe getting axed I can't see Hyundai ditching the only other sport-compact in the lineup (the Veloster), especially with the GC going more upscale. Last I read online was that there will be a mid-lifecycle refresh of the Veloster and that's going to determine if the model continues. But I can't remember where online I read it.

I won't be trading in my 2012 for a new Gencoupe unless its a V8. Sorry. And even then, it depends on pricing. I love my 2012. I bought it instead of waiting 6 months for a 2013 because I like the looks of the first version compared to the 2013+, and I wanted the proven track record of a ZF transmission over an in-house 8speed. GDI would've been cool, though.

·
DeaconO
248 Posts
I would like to see how the stinger turns out, I sold my z cause I got tired of paying on a 35k car loan and moved down to a new genesis for like 21k. I love the interior of the car and most of the outside except the front, I told myself it would grow on me...it hasn't, the more I look at the front of the 2013+ the more I think its just a hideous mess. the 370 just looks cherry all around for me. Now the pre 2013 gen coupes I loved their hood and front bumper. I mean fake hood vents on the 2013's+? come on now how ghetto Hyundai lol.
I disagree with you. The z looks blocky and outdated to me. it has terrible rear visibility and a uncomfortable cabin. Which is just my opinion.
I get nothing but compliments on my car. Fake hood vents have been done by damn near every car company. hell just look at the challenger and the BMW E9x m3. thats just two off the top of my head that did "ghetto" fake hood scoops/vents. Both now offer kits to make them "functional" just like IS did with our vents/scoops. i still think its just a matter of opinion. i doubt it will be carried over for much longer.

·
Desert Rat
1,246 Posts
Anyone have any idea where the photos were taken? Looks like somewhere around Death Valley to me. 4.44 a gallon, and everything is in English, along with the desert area in the background.

It would be fun to find the exact motel in the background. :)

I think those are Michigan plates also, but there is nowhere around there that is that high for gas.

Yes that is Stove Pipe Wells in Death Valley. I see thee cars out there on a daily basis and if this car had a V8 I havent heard it yet. Wait until you guys see the new Toyota.. :laugh:

·
Zosyn who?
1,745 Posts
true dual exhaust?

·
Severed member
1,595 Posts
I disagree with you. The z looks blocky and outdated to me. it has terrible rear visibility and a uncomfortable cabin. Which is just my opinion.
I get nothing but compliments on my car. Fake hood vents have been done by damn near every car company. hell just look at the challenger and the BMW E9x m3. thats just two off the top of my head that did "ghetto" fake hood scoops/vents. Both now offer kits to make them "functional" just like IS did with our vents/scoops. i still think its just a matter of opinion. i doubt it will be carried over for much longer.
Same reason I went with the 2012. I still love the way it looks and beyond the crappy tranny, love most everything about it.

The point I wanted to add here was that I got into the gen for two reasons:
-- It was rear-wheel drive, coupe, 4-seat, and a good looking modder that I could play and learn with
-- The COST was very reasonable.

I got into the car for $21K new, and the others that fit the first requirements were:
-- ugly
-- sucky
-- or cost too much

With the removal of the 2.0T and the addition of a V8, my concern is they will be losing a large chunk of the buyers here...

41 - 59 of 59 Posts