Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2013 2.0 automatic. Test drive was fine, drive home was fine. Two days later had a skipping issue. New coil packs and spark plugs corrected that issue.

Now the shift between 2nd and 3rd and somewhat between 3rd and 4th has a hesitation. It's feels like the transmission holds between gears, the RPM goes up, and then shifts. If it is happening between other gears it is not noticeable.

Check light is not coming on.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 2013 3.8 automatic with the same issue. I unplug the ecu to reset it when this happens and the problem goes away for a while. I think maybe there is a learning function that makes the issue come back. I don't think it is a transmission problem per se. You may want to try this, see if it works for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An update. Disconnected battery (thinking that would be same as unplugging the ecu as swagger suggested). It did not help. So I took it to the dealer. Friendly folks and $120 later (diagnostic, update computer and transmission additive) they suggested that I do indeed need a new transmission, $4,000 quote. I said thanks - I'll have to think about that.

Drove home, transmission still exhibited the same behavior, slightly hard & hesitant ship with RPM increase between 2nd and 3rd. As I was almost home coming into my neighborhood, going through stop signs I didn't notice the problem, got home ate dinner and went for a drive. No noticeable issue - shifts just like I recall when I test drove the car two weeks ago before purchasing.

Spoke to a mechanic friend who said, yes the computer does go through a learning process. Drive it for a few hundred miles and see if the problem re-appears.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What you describe is the same behavior I observe when I reboot the ecu. That's why I think it may be a software problem, not a mechanical transmission problem. The auto transmission was new for 2013, and I think there were problems with the software early in production. The build date for mine (on the door jam) shows Jan. 2013. May I ask what your cars build date is? Hopefully, the computer update solves your problem, but on mine, it comes back after about a month but I haven't had an update on my computer, so maybe I need to convince my dealer to do this for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Manufacture date reads: Dec/10/12. I will report back in a couple of weeks to let you know if problem indeed remains fixed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sort of the same problem here. However, mine only starts doing it after the care is warmed and I have been stop & go for a while. It was recommended by the dealer for me to get a transmission flush.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Transmission flush did not help my situation. I had the dealer do this as part of normal maintenance, but problem came back later. What year/ build date is yours?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just found some info online that says the '13 had some TCU updates released for it and you have to ask your dealer for the update. Idk anymore than that though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Allex & swagger. Chiming in late here. I understood my dealer to update the TCU - it was better for two weeks; however, the problem has started again as of yesterday. Not as bad, but still noticeable. Does not seem to matter if the car is warmed up or cold.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Interesting. I am trying to get ahold of the dealer again now to schedule a time to come in and get the update. However, I think im still going to get the flush on the car because it has not had it

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you know which they updated, the tcu or ecu? There are 2 different control units, which did they flash? Or did they just do a reset, which what I do when unplugging the ecu?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just spoke with the dealer. He claims the only download he sees that pertains to the car requires the check engine light to be on, so he doesn't have anything update on mine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The dealerships seem to be less than helpful for this issue. I don't know if they are playing dumb, or it may be they see so few of these issues, that they truly don't know about a reflash to fix based on a tsb. Maybe having the dealership contact a regional warranty representative would work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
They are not cooperative in any regard. I do not know what the big deal is about helping someone out to find the issue, but oh well. I am trying to get ahold of another dealership now. I just wish I had a TSB or reference number to use to mention to them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Maybe try this: CAMPAIGN TM1 20C094R1 -2013 BK 3.8L TCM UPDATE (12-01-034) Applicable Vehicles: 2013 MY Genesis Coupe 3.8L with automatic transmission Applicable Vehicle Production Date: From January 19, 2012 through September 17, 2012.

This is from an earlier post on the same subject. My car does not fit the production date range, but yours might.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Maybe try this: CAMPAIGN TM1 20C094R1 -2013 BK 3.8L TCM UPDATE (12-01-034) Applicable Vehicles: 2013 MY Genesis Coupe 3.8L with automatic transmission Applicable Vehicle Production Date: From January 19, 2012 through September 17, 2012.

This is from an earlier post on the same subject. My car does not fit the production date range, but yours might.
Welp. I think that might have just told me why there are no TSBs popping up for my specific car. Just read on my door jam that its production date was in December '12

·
Registered
73 Posts
All 3 of us are outside the range, but maybe they they determined the date range incorrectly, and we still need the update. I wish there was a way to have them flash the latest level, to ensure the software is correct.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts