Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
All 3 of us are outside the range, but maybe they they determined the date range incorrectly, and we still need the update. I wish there was a way to have them flash the latest level, to ensure the software is correct.
Any update on your issue? I got a full flush by Hyundai and they put in a conditioner with it that is supposed to help sustain the transmission and its life. Interestingly enough, on the way home, I experienced a lot of weird revs in the car, not slipping but definitely reving between different shifts. Now, it has been a few days. The issue seems to happen a lot less and not as bad. However, when i get into stop-go traffic, then I experience it more often. The more I pay attention to it, the more I wonder if I am just overanalyzing it and being OCD, which would make sense, as I have not driven an automatic in years. However, I am leaning towards it being our adaptive tranmission computer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is the annoying part of this issue, it comes and goes inconsistently. I am still under warranty, but when I try to show the service tech, it doesn't happen. But there is an issue. And I suspect it is more prevelant when you drive it in sport mode with traction control off, vs normal mode tc on. If I can ever get it to happen consistently, I will bring it right to the dealer to show them, but so far no luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That is the annoying part of this issue, it comes and goes inconsistently. I am still under warranty, but when I try to show the service tech, it doesn't happen. But there is an issue. And I suspect it is more prevelant when you drive it in sport mode with traction control off, vs normal mode tc on. If I can ever get it to happen consistently, I will bring it right to the dealer to show them, but so far no luck.
Yeah. Honestly, I am thinking it the computer. To be honest, at this point, it is just more annoying than anything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you have a tuned ecu by sfr/btr? I have a canned tune by sfr, and wonder sometimes if this may be a contributor to this issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Okay... so I finally got the car to replicate the issue. Idk how though. Seems to be linked to switching back and forth from sport mode and stop go conditions. However, I will say that I can feel a slip of 500ish rpms from 2nd to 3rd. Could it be solenoid or something?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had the same problem on mine as well, doesn't do it all the time 2nd to 3rd mostly, find it happens more in stop and go traffic, sometimes does it from 4th to 5th. I don't think its the transmission itself, i think its the sucky programming logic Hyundai did with the TCU. I've had my car since 2013 new, had the TCU update from the dealer, its better, but I feel BTR or even SFR's new TCU tune will help with this

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also seem to be having this issue. I took it to the dealer to perform a tcu reset, which worked for a little but shortly the issue came back. I have found that when in sport mode (automatic shfting still) the problem is less noticable. I also used to feel the downshifts as I was breaking, which since the update has seen a lot less noticable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm starting to think maybe there is a mechanical issue, not a slipping, but maybe a solenoid. Why only between 2nd/3rd, 4th/5th? Maybe someone who understands auto transmissions can answer that. There must be many more with auto trans that do not have this issue. What's the difference? I wonder if anyone has had their transmission replaced because of this?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
There was a TSB for a TCU reflash for certain years with the 8 AT. I know because my dude told me. Went through their database to see any applicable TSB's etc. I had my Gen up on a rack at my Hyundai dealer before I bought her. They even did a compression test for me ! My car didnt need it, but the fact is the oem TCU tune bites ass. I experienced it for 3 months. It has its own little idiosynchrasies that are not necessarily a problem.

The real reason I can say this is I drove the oem for 3 months, then experienced the BTRcc TCU tune. Lordy, night and day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There was a TSB for a TCU reflash for certain years with the 8 AT. I know because my dude told me. Went through their database to see any applicable TSB's etc. I had my Gen up on a rack at my Hyundai dealer before I bought her. They even did a compression test for me ! My car didnt need it, but the fact is the oem TCU tune bites ass. I experienced it for 3 months. It has its own little idiosynchrasies that are not necessarily a problem.

The real reason I can say this is I drove the oem for 3 months, then experienced the BTRcc TCU tune. Lordy, night and day.
Do you happen to know what the tsb # was?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
No,mine didnt need it. He has subsequently left Hyundai after nearly 20 years, and has his own biz now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
They should know how to do a re flash no matter what the tsb is. As far as the update goes, my research has led me to find that my car's production date should've exempted me from the software that came out. BUT, on my car fax, the original owner apparently had the TCU replaced, which may or may not account for not having an update, if that is the case at least. Additionally, it seems that the software that came out was for people that had really, really bad slipping problems, not as minor as ours. I was thinking it could also be a solenoid also. However, why would so many of us be able to get rid of the issue temporarily with battery resets and reflashes? Honestly, at this point, I have an appointment Wednesday to get a transmission diagnosis. It costs $100. However, I am contemplating cancelling it. If I do go through with it, I'm going to make sure they plug my car up and check for updates. Additionally, if they cannot fix anything, I'm going to tell them to do the reflash/relearn procedure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm starting to think maybe there is a mechanical issue, not a slipping, but maybe a solenoid. Why only between 2nd/3rd, 4th/5th? Maybe someone who understands auto transmissions can answer that. There must be many more with auto trans that do not have this issue. What's the difference? I wonder if anyone has had their transmission replaced because of this?
I have heard of people having it replaced because of it... and low and behold, some of them had the issue reappear!

·
Registered
12 Posts
They should know how to do a re flash no matter what the tsb is. As far as the update goes, my research has led me to find that my car's production date should've exempted me from the software that came out. BUT, on my car fax, the original owner apparently had the TCU replaced, which may or may not account for not having an update, if that is the case at least. Additionally, it seems that the software that came out was for people that had really, really bad slipping problems, not as minor as ours. I was thinking it could also be a solenoid also. However, why would so many of us be able to get rid of the issue temporarily with battery resets and reflashes? Honestly, at this point, I have an appointment Wednesday to get a transmission diagnosis. It costs $100. However, I am contemplating cancelling it. If I do go through with it, I'm going to make sure they plug my car up and check for updates. Additionally, if they cannot fix anything, I'm going to tell them to do the reflash/relearn procedure.
Let us know how it goes man and if they are able to give you any valuable info!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had to delay my service appointment until tomorrow, as we had a big snow come in. However, I did find all of the TSBs and Campaigns for our cars. I found the 12-01-034 update but it is listed for the 3.8 auto. I could not find the 2.0. However, that does not mean there is not an update, so when they hook my car up, I will make sure to have them check manually. Additionally, I found TSBs for other things that could be culprit, which have TSB procedures that a lot of dealerships might not be completely aware of how to do. So, I am printing these out and taking them with me tomorrow.

12-01-034 (CAMPAIGN not TSB) 3.8L TCM UPDATE

12-AT-011 HARSH AND/OR DELAYED SHIFT (This TSB actually seems to test the solenoids and the shift time between gears. Interestingly enough, it states that if the shift time is more than 2.5 seconds, to replace the transmission LOL. But, either way, this would be a good TSB to take with you if you are having problems.

16-AT-001-2 RESET and RELEARN ADAPTIVE VALUES (We all know of this reflash)

16-AT-008 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OIL PRESSURE DATA TRANSFER (This TSB is also very interesting. Apparently, there are values shown on the side of the transmission that represent pressures from the transmission. These are supposed to match certain values in the TCU. Might be something to look at)

17-AT-002 TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL (This TSB would be good for all of us to look over. Has diagrams of the locations of the different plugs and how to go about checking the fluid level. I could easily see a technician doing this wrong.)

18-AT-002 ATF and DCT GEAR OIL (I threw this in here just for information purposes)

I will post a link later on with an attachment of the actual pages of these.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The delayed shift one sounds like my issue, but less than 2.5 seconds LOL. Maybe 1-1.5 sec, still really annoying when it happens.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi there! First of all, I would like to say congrats on the new 2.0T! I test drove a base 2.0 when I first began looking for a Genesis but ended up going with a 3.8 Track also equipped with the 8 speed automatic. Glad I found this thread because I also have been experiencing something very similar to what you’re all describing here, except mine only seems to have this issue when in “Manual mode.” In Drive it shifts completely normally and in Sport whenever I accelerate abruptly and let off the gas all of a sudden, it’s as if the car gets sort of confused as to whether to hold the gear or shift up. If I drive normally however, this is not an issue. Of the few times I have experienced this issue though, it’s been in manual mode and it’s pretty embarrassing because I hit the shift lever and it’s about a second and a half late before it finally shifts at around 3.5-4K RPM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had to delay my service appointment until tomorrow, as we had a big snow come in. However, I did find all of the TSBs and Campaigns for our cars. I found the 12-01-034 update but it is listed for the 3.8 auto. I could not find the 2.0. However, that does not mean there is not an update, so when they hook my car up, I will make sure to have them check manually. Additionally, I found TSBs for other things that could be culprit, which have TSB procedures that a lot of dealerships might not be completely aware of how to do. So, I am printing these out and taking them with me tomorrow.

12-AT-011 HARSH AND/OR DELAYED SHIFT (This TSB actually seems to test the solenoids and the shift time between gears. Interestingly enough, it states that if the shift time is more than 2.5 seconds, to replace the transmission LOL. But, either way, this would be a good TSB to take with you if you are having problems.

16-AT-008 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OIL PRESSURE DATA TRANSFER (This TSB is also very interesting. Apparently, there are values shown on the side of the transmission that represent pressures from the transmission. These are supposed to match certain values in the TCU. Might be something to look at)

17-AT-002 TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL (This TSB would be good for all of us to look over. Has diagrams of the locations of the different plugs and how to go about checking the fluid level. I could easily see a technician doing this wrong.)

18-AT-002 ATF and DCT GEAR OIL (I threw this in here just for information purposes)

Did you ever find a fix to the issue?

·
Registered
62 Posts

Did you ever find a fix to the issue?
Actually just was about to report back. I had a bad experience with a dealer putting the wrong fluid in my car. However, I went to a different dealer and they put the right fluid in. Additionally, they spent a lot of time getting the fluid level right and it seemed like they checked it in ways that the original dealer did not. Now, knock on wood, I haven’t experienced any bit of the issue! Just a little bit of hard shifting but that’s normal with these carsz

21 - 40 of 49 Posts