·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up fellas,
I have a 2011 3.8 track,
ISR exhaust and test pipes
Injen intake
ISR pulley set, Crank, water pump and alternator.
I am thinking about buying fuel injectors as well.

What else is a good purchase for this engine? without buying a turbo or having my check engine light on. I am planning on tuning the car soon but i want to buy everything I need before then. Also, what are some realistic WHP number i should be expecting after the tune? I would love to reach 300 WHP.

Any experienced advice would be appreciated.

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
every dyno is different but you can prob expect these ballpark numbers:

My 2010 3.8 track:
intake,header and exhaust done: 260whp baseline -> 295whp with dyno tune on 91 octane with secondary cats still installed.

without header, I think the top end will suffer a bit - 280whp shouldn't be out of reach though. I'm getting a retune with my headers put back on in prep for emissions testing, I could prob share my final numbers.

unless you're going for a turbo kit, I see no reason to look at fuel injectors - the stock ones deliver enough to keep AFR safe throughout the RPM band. Seems like a waste.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
every dyno is different but you can prob expect these ballpark numbers:

My 2010 3.8 track:
intake,header and exhaust done: 260whp baseline -> 295whp with dyno tune on 91 octane with secondary cats still installed.

without header, I think the top end will suffer a bit - 280whp shouldn't be out of reach though. I'm getting a retune with my headers put back on in prep for emissions testing, I could prob share my final numbers.

unless you're going for a turbo kit, I see no reason to look at fuel injectors - the stock ones deliver enough to keep AFR safe throughout the RPM band. Seems like a waste.
What type of headers do you have? No check engine light right? just wont pass smog?
Thanks for your input on the injectors Im just looking for anyway possible to add more hp when i go tune

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
What type of headers do you have? No check engine light right? just wont pass smog?
Thanks for your input on the injectors Im just looking for anyway possible to add more hp when i go tune
NGM headers on right now. They don't have catalytic converters in them, so the pair of primary O2 sensors throw a fit unless they are "disabled". The ECU can be tweaked by a tuner to disable emissions checking, which gets rid of the pesky CEL, but it means your emissions equipment will never be 'ready' in the ECU, leading to a test failure where I am.

You technically could get a port & polish job done on your intake manifold - good for some horses.

Also, think about some phenolic spacers for heat management - intake manifold & throttle body phenolic spacers do a decent job of keep the heat out of the intake, leading to consistent power delivery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NGM headers on right now. They don't have catalytic converters in them, so the pair of primary O2 sensors throw a fit unless they are "disabled". The ECU can be tweaked by a tuner to disable emissions checking, which gets rid of the pesky CEL, but it means your emissions equipment will never be 'ready' in the ECU, leading to a test failure where I am.

You technically could get a port & polish job done on your intake manifold - good for some horses.

Also, think about some phenolic spacers for heat management - intake manifold & throttle body phenolic spacers do a decent job of keep the heat out of the intake, leading to consistent power delivery.
Interesting, do you know by any chance if some headers come with the cats in them? Definitely going for the spacers! they are decently priced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts