Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
'13 3.8 Track
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I couldn't find any info on how to do this, but I want to pull my injectors and clean them. The left bank is throwing a code for Cylinder 2, 4 and 6 Contribution Imbalance...and after much research looks like dirty fuel injectors. I've run a couple treatments of Chevron Techron through a tank of gas over the past 6 weeks and that seems to make it better for the next tank of gas or so...then it starts idling a bit rough, and throws the code. I also pulled out a spark plug on that side and put a borescope in there and could see signs of wet fouling.

I already know how to pull the intake down to the heads (installed the Grimmspeed phenolic spacer and have cleaned the backside of the intake valves). Beyond that, what I need to know is how to pull the injectors, clean them, and replace them. Specifically:

What special tools are needed?
What parts are needed (O-rings, etc)?
Beyond pulling the intake manifold, what are the steps to pull the injectors?

Any help would be very appreciated!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I really do not have the specific info you are looking for but I would say the only reason to pull them would be to send them off and have them checked and flow tested. I find it interesting that it is happening on all of one bank but for the life of me I am not sure how a restriction could happen in the fuel rail just out of nowhere.
3M makes a cleaner for fuel injectors that is much better than the mix for the fuel tank. However, it requires a special hose that attaches the can to the fuel rail. The fuel pump is disabled and the car runs off of the can only. I purchased my hose at O'Reilly's for $25.00. If I had known that was a discontinuation sale I would have purchased several as they were $125.00 the last time I tried to get one for the company.
As I am Writing this I realize I would have to check for a tap on the low pressure side of the fuel rail for that to work.
I just have to wonder if the high pressure booster on the fuel rail is just low enough on pressure and that bank being farther away throws the codes. Probably not just thinking with my keyboard.....

TJ
good luck

·
'13 3.8 Track
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey TJ, thanks for the reply. I have my intake manifold off as we speak and I'm looking at the injectors on the driver's side...they don't look bad.

This is interesting, though...as I was removing the lower intake manifold (under the plenum) I noticed that the bolts on the drivers side seemed pretty loose. The front 2 especially as they required no torque to loosen the bolts...the back 3 bolts on that side were a bit tighter, but didn't appear to be torqued down. All 5 bolts on the passenger side required a fair amount of twist to break them free.

Now, I'm not sure if an intake leak could cause what appears to be fouling, but I've Googled it just now and the rough idle and "lean" condition is certainly caused by an intake leak. I didn't mention it in my original post, but about 2/3 of the time I got the "Cylinder Imbalance" code, I also got a catalytic converter code for too lean on that side of the engine.

At this point, I may have myself to blame for not torquing those bolts correctly, but I'm pretty aware of stuff like that and I can't see myself overlooking it...but, if that's the cause I'll accept fault and be happy that it's fixed.

I'm tempted to put everything back together without doing anything else just to see what happens.

Any thoughts on the intake leak causing fouling or soot build up?

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you have an intake leak on one side, the O2 will signal a lean condition and the computer will throw excess fuel on that bank. This is especially true if one cyl is lean it will show the whole bank lean.... what you can find is one cly lean and two very rich...

TJ

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you do not have a catch can, much oil can wind up in the intake....

·
'13 3.8 Track
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have a catch can...it does catch lots of oil. :)

I'm thinking the air leak may have been the issue...I'm reassembling things now, but I'll know soon. Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
404 Posts
That is probably a safe wager..

Good Luck!
TJ

·
'13 3.8 Track
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far so good...only about a 10 mile test drive, but smooth as butter, and no codes. I just hope it stays that way!

Thanks again, man!

Reactions: MrDestinE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts