Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Looking at purchasing a used 2014 3.8 coupe engine from Canada with 17,000 KM on it. I know that is equivalent to around 10,000 miles. Being that the engine odometer read in KM in Canada how would I get my readout to show in miles in the US one the "new" engine is installed? Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
353 Posts
Pretty sure you need at least a new cluster. Not sure all the technicalities behind the rest.

Reactions: SWilson3828

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
Hello,
Looking at purchasing a used 2014 3.8 coupe engine from Canada with 17,000 KM on it. I know that is equivalent to around 10,000 miles. Being that the engine odometer read in KM in Canada how would I get my readout to show in miles in the US one the "new" engine is installed? Thanks for the advice
Get a US spec gauge cluster.
Should be plug-n-play
just remember to DISCONNECT the battery when you do swap.
If you are referring to the odometer, when you ask about "new engine"... you shouldn't change it. Changing it is federally illegal.
IIRC the odometer readings are stored on the body control module.

FYI Canada spec versions come with immobilizers.
US spec ones that came with immobilizers are ones that have push-button-start
Just something to keep in mind if/when you want to get the ECU retuned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure you need at least a new cluster. Not sure all the technicalities behind the rest.
I was thinking that but the cluster in the car already reads in US values, so I'm not exactly sure what type of cluster I would need to replace unless there is a cluster specifically make for situations like mine where an engine out of a car reading in metic units goes into a car reading in standard units. I'm not exactly sure where the actual calibration takes place. Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a US spec gauge cluster.
Should be plug-n-play
just remember to DISCONNECT the battery when you do swap.
If you are referring to the odometer, when you ask about "new engine"... you shouldn't change it. Changing it is federally illegal.
IIRC the odometer readings are stored on the body control module.

FYI Canada spec versions come with immobilizers.
US spec ones that came with immobilizers are ones that have push-button-start
Just something to keep in mind if/when you want to get the ECU retuned.
Thank you for the reply. No I would never want to alter the odometer I just want it to read in miles rather than Kilometers. The same with the speedometer....Id like for it to read in MPH rather than KmPH. Just wasn't sure what would need to be changed to accomplish all of that or if the ECM does the conversion. Yes...my Coupe comes with the immobilizer as well. Not sure if that would make any different in purchasing the canadian engine or not. I'm a bit leary about purchasing a motor from Canada anyway because of these small differences. Finding a motor to fit my car, at a reasonable price, is an absolute bear.

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
Thank you for the reply. No I would never want to alter the odometer I just want it to read in miles rather than Kilometers. The same with the speedometer....Id like for it to read in MPH rather than KmPH. Just wasn't sure what would need to be changed to accomplish all of that or if the ECM does the conversion. Yes...my Coupe comes with the immobilizer as well. Not sure if that would make any different in purchasing the canadian engine or not. I'm a bit leary about purchasing a motor from Canada anyway because of these small differences. Finding a motor to fit my car, at a reasonable price, is an absolute bear.
Oops, I mis-read your first post. I thought you were purchasing a car from Canada.

If you just want to swap engines, there is no conversion needed.
the engine is just the hardware, it's the computers where all the complications happen.
So, if you just don't touch any of the computers in "your" car, it should all work, if everything is kosher.
... that is, if you're putting this engine in a BK2 (2013-2016)
If you're putting this in a BK1 (2010-2012), it's not going to work.
BK1 = port injection
BK2 = direct injection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oops, I mis-read your first post. I thought you were purchasing a car from Canada.

the engine is just the hardware, it's the computers where all the complications happen.
So, if you just don't touch any of the computers in "your" car, it should all work, if everything is kosher.
BK1 = port injection
BK2 = direct injection.
Thank you. Yes it's a BK2. I would be ostracized by my son for life if I put anything in it other than the 348 HP lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

BK1 = port injection
BK2 = direct injection.
Just curious though......would the ECM need to be reflashed since its the ECM doing the calculations? Seems like it would need to be, but I really have no clue. I hope it wouldn't. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts