Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is another review of the Solo catback for the 3.8. The other reviews are all new owners, whereas my exhaust is several months old now.

I contacted Solo back in the spring shortly after their Veloster kits were released and expressed my interest in their products and building something for the Genesis. Now, I work with a bunch of GM, Mopar and Ford guys and they are all familiar with Solo. Their exhaust kits are very popular with the domestic owners. The Veloster Turbo kits are easily the most popular VT kit. I have a VT and its got a Solo catback and catted DP. Its a family owned Canadian company thats based out of the popular 3-4 Zoro Muffler shops with their production shop based in Toronto.

The red 3.8 in the Solo promo videos is my car. It was used for all the R&D. Ive had 4-5 versions of the exhaust before the final version and they all got progressively better. The kits were tested on MT and AT cars, both the 10-12 and 13 3.8 cars. The guys at the Zoro/Solo shops are fantastic. Most of the guys are old-school hot-rod guys and were super helpful. You wont leave the shop until the exhaust fits and looks perfect.

Now, because my wife also drives the car, it had to sound just right. Im also an older owner and my loud and/or ricey fart-can days are over. I can honestly say it has ZERO drone. Its a tad louder around town, but it screams on the throttle. The vids really dont do it justice.

Now it doesnt have the fancy fully polished pipes like an Ark and the welds arent exactly "stacked dimes" but its probably equal to a Magnaflow in finish. Fit is great, definately no issues there. Tips are fully polished, staggered perfectly to the rear end. No clunks or rattles either.

These are bent, welded and assembled by 2-3 guys at their shop in Toronto and they even have a shop/distributor in NY for you guys in the USA. They even gave one away at the recent Genesis meet here in Ontario. For what Solo is charging for these, its a great buy IMO.

Any detailed questions, ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is truly an amazing system for the price. Alot of people are baffled that its not fully polished from front to back. To me I really dont care, since its under the car, I guess its marketed for pure performance rather than all looks. They need to dyno it to show gains, then I'd bet these things would sell more!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im planning on dynoing mine at some point. But, I think its safe to say the most of these 3.8 catbacks all dyno at around 10whp. I think even the Ark that advertises more, doesnt actually gain as much as they claim.

I could also give a rats a$$ about the polished pipes. They look pretty but no one ever seems them anyway. Fits, looks and sounds great.

·
I drive a V6
4,978 Posts
Mine definitely has a little more oomph at certain rpm's

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,086 Posts
The catbacks on 3.8s lose torque. Gain power at 5000rpm+
We run on back pressure.
This is not a correct statement, it's not a matter of back pressure but optimal exhaust flow. There is a tipping point on a NA motor where an exhaust can be too free flowing causing exhaust gases to cool too quickly to exit the system effectively, thus limiting exhaust flow and robbing power, but the stock exhaust is in fact more restrictive than it needs to be and can be improved upon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm new to cars so buckle your seatbelts cause these are gonna be some stupid questions:

How is the sound while while idling? I want something with a deep rumble that I can enjoy with the windows down while sitting at a stoplight.

have they done any dyno tests on it yet? if so how does it compare?

I really don't know much about exhausts, everything i've learned has been from gencoupe. But I'm under the impression that its basically: headers--> test pipe--> downpipe--> midpipe w/resonators--> muffler--> tips. and these systems usually include midpipe to tips is that correct? If so does anyone have any downpipe suggestions to run with this system?

What is the advantage to having the H test pipe rather than just two straight pipes and which would you suggest with this system?

what is the performance difference in an exhaust like this with a central muffler as opposed to an exhaust like the ARC that splits way earlier? (I'm under the understanding that the arc grip is a true dual which are louder and exhausts like this are not as loud but what about performance wise?)

How low does it ride because there are a lot of railroad tracks in Cola and i don't want to see pieces of my exhaust in my rear view mirror one day after I lower my car

this seems like very good value for my money for a good, unique sound. I appreciate anyone who's willing to hold my hand through this and answer all of my dumb questions. I promise I'm not one of those idiots who makes an account and posts "what kind of exhaust should I get?" I've done a lot of snooping around first

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O/P here. Several months later and the exhaust still sounds and fits great. I believe Solo has altered the design slightly, Im told with the tailpipes and tips being separate pieces for better adjustment and fit. Mine is all welded except for 2 joints in the middle.

To answer a few questions, at idle it sounds basically stock. But, when you rev it, it has a very nice burble and pop and sounds quite exotic. To me anyway, it has a higher pitch then the Magnaflow and not as deep sounding. More high revving, Euro sounding. The video is very, very accurate in the sound reproduction.

I didnt dyno it yet, but being that is very similar in design to the Magnaflow and Borla, Id suspect the same numbers. All of the V6 exhaust all seem to be in and around the same dyno #'s anyway.

It doesnt hang low at all. Solo took alot of time and effort to ensure that it fit well.

A true dual might flow and sound a bit better, but I doubt the numbers would be significant. The muffler Solo uses is essentially hollow inside. If you held it up, you can see right through it.

For purchasing, Uniq is always top notch. Solo is a Canadian company, but they do offer free shipping in the USA I believe.

Oh, Im told Solo might be interested in making another version of the exhaust once the warmer weather hits up here. This one might be a version with no muffler at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just installed my solo exhaust last night. It not too loud which is good but has real nice low rumble. Got mine on black friday with 15% off. Very happy and thank you to solo for an easy order and got it a week later. Great fit as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have been reading lots about what CBE to add to my car.
I have a 2013 - 3.8 GT w. A/T
Similar to Dumer I had a kid and a wife, so my choices for sound were very picky and had to be specific.
Have seen many posts about lots of options, watched many videos etc...etc...and true, the videos most times don't depict the full story

Wanted to provide my feedback on 2 specific CBE:
Magnaflow 16507 Kit
Solo Performance Exhaust kit

Someone had asked in a previous discussion about Weights:
I actually weighted all 3 (including stock)

Weight
Stock: 45.2 lbs
Front Resonator: 11.4 lbs
Muffler: 33.8 lbs

Magnaflow: 48.2 lbs
Front Resonator: 22
Muffler: 21.2
Connectors pipes (middle section) 5 lbs total

Solo: 53.2 lbs
Front Resonator: 22.8
Muffler: 18.8
Connectors pipes (middle section) 11.6 lbs total

Packaging
Magnaflow - 1 box
All items come packed together,
Box itself is not the most sturdy at all, considering all items, packaging and clamps
Mine actually arrived with some issues due to the weight and items being banged around

Solo - 2 boxes
Boxes are much better for shipping
Packaging inside is better (IMO) and due to the items being separate it is less likely to have issues during shipping

Sound:
Magnaflow
I had bought the Magnaflow first, tried it out but the Drone was actually bugging me.
Aware that some folks say that there is no Drone in this exhaust, but I actually did not like that 1500 - 2300 RPM Range
was not horrible, but was hoping for less
The sound is deeper in a way, but it is louder than Solo

Solo
(my experience with Solo has been great to be honest)
Working with Jeff, was aswesome!

I fought with trying to get the Magnaflows to actually be quieter, we tried different avenues (QR Series / Mach x muffler) etc...
But the fitting was just not going to work right and would be forced in place.

Solo Drone:
Little if any,
The sound is slightly louder than stock (during normal driving)
But when u open her up, she will sound awesome
Either during downshifts, or alike, you are rewarded with a symphony of sound that is truly enjoyable.

Fitting / Mount:
Magnaflow:
It is a total of 4 pieces
The X pipe portion is rigid, which makes fitting having to be very specific and tight at times.
Tips in the exhaust are fixed, so no adjustment there.
Other than that, the fit is well, no mayor issues, just that it is tight on the Xpipe / O2 sensor section

Solo
The front portion H-pipe design has an adjustable bracket that allows for better fitting
The middle portion fits directly to the back and the tips are mounted after that.
Tips can be adjusted in many ways,
In my case, the fiting had to be re-done (bands were not tight enough) and the tip was sliding.

So, having said all this.
Pretty much:

Lov my Solo Exhaust, it is awesome and the support that I received from Jeff and everyone there was just superb.
Magna is not a bad product, but given all the things that I have seen, I truly feel that the Solo is a better choice, better fitting and better sound in a way. (specially due to the lack of drone inside the cabin)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my Solo after watching the Slip Angle videos. Absolutely love it. Jun B.L Claims their $1600+ exhaust produces 25 HP which I scoff at. The Solo is just over $900 and sounds better than anything I've heard on a GC 3.8.

Can definitely feel stronger pulls with a better intake and this exhaust.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts