Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I encountered some Volks off of a 350Z that I might be able to horse swap for. Correct offset and style for my tastes. Need to be properly blacked out but otherwise I hope I can work the deal.

My question, and it's critical, is regarding the hubcentric adapters. Can I assume that I just need to remove whatever centerbore adaptors are currently in the wheels and just swap them out w/ an appropriate adaptor for a Hyundai application? Are they commonly available at an inexpensive price?

Or are the Volk centerbores machined specifically for the 350Z? If so can that be easily changed?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
76,154 Posts
Most Volks are machined fir a specific centerbore, and the 350z centerbore is 66.1 whereas the gc is 67.1.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
So long as the bore is bigger than the GC's 67.1mm you're good to go with hubcentric rings, they are pretty cheap, about $3 each.

If it's smaller than the GC bore, you would have to have them machined. From what I googled the 350Z has a hub bore of 66.1 which is smaller. :(

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn.

Can wheels be machined easily?

This also means I cannot test fit. Major problem.

Here are the specs:
9.5" x 19" 35mm offset
10.5" x 19" 35mm offset

Will that front offset clear my Brembos?
Any other clearance issues to pay attention to?

I'm thrilled w/ this offset if it will clear because I don't do Hellaflush and by my calculations they will flush out perfectly.

·
Señor Member
979 Posts
GAHHH somebody answer Suns please! Can wheels be machined easily? where would one find such machines?

I got my rims the other day and it turns out theyre 66.1 even though I told me tire shop I wanted 67.1

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
GAHHH somebody answer Suns please! Can wheels be machined easily? where would one find such machines?

I got my rims the other day and it turns out theyre 66.1 even though I told me tire shop I wanted 67.1
According to a small amount of searching, any machine shop should be able to do this. Look for a local metal working place, the kind that can make/thread bolts and other metal products.

I would assume they use a meatl lathe to do it.

Just a sample from google search...

Enlarging wheel hub bore - The Ford Focus Forum | Powered by Focaljet
SoCal machine shop to bore out wheel hubs? - LX Forums | Dodge Charger Challenger Magnum | SRT8 | Chrysler 300 Forum

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I would test fit them first as I've seen nissan/infiniti rims (hub bore of 66.1) fit on the genesis (hub bore of 67.1) without modifications. This is most likely due to the tolerances of manufacturing. (They don't actually make the hub bore 66.1 but close to it)

·
Premium Member
76,154 Posts
Yes they can be machined easily, but those are awful high offsets for those widths, I'd be more concerned with the inner lip hitting the strut, they should clear the brembos. Btw with those widths + 22 is flush just like sliders, ie: no stretching required so you can fit nice meaty tires on them, 275 rear and 245 front. Worst case scenario just add 10mm spacer front and rear for a +25. If flush is what u want that will get it. Also if you need to machine the bores SABS in Houston is the best!

Damn.

Can wheels be machined easily?

This also means I cannot test fit. Major problem.

Here are the specs:
9.5" x 19" 35mm offset
10.5" x 19" 35mm offset

Will that front offset clear my Brembos?
Any other clearance issues to pay attention to?

I'm thrilled w/ this offset if it will clear because I don't do Hellaflush and by my calculations they will flush out perfectly.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great info.

The reason I haven't bought the Varrstoens is because of the 22mm offset. I know where my wheels are right now w/ spacers and I like it a lot. I don't want to have to deal w/ another .5" or more of rim hanging out.

Is strut clearance just a problem in the front? I have Stances and they are a LOT skinnier than the stock struts were. Like inches smaller in diameter. Is the tire rubbing the issue, or the rim itself? While turning or under compression? What is the best way to check clearance once they are mounted up?

The wheels have like a 72mm bore w/ an adaptor according to the owner so I'm good there but thanks for the heads up on wheel boring.

Currently I have not been able to make a deal on these wheels but we'll see.

·
Premium Member
76,154 Posts
What is ur current wheel tire setup? When. First got my five:ad wheels 20x10.5 +33 with stretched 245/35/20's they rubbed on the inside, if you are running a fatter tire and 2mm less offset they are going to rub bad! I would suggest 5mm of spacer minimum on the rear and see where the front is and go from there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dude get ya some spacers and u will be able to pick a nice offset keeping your rim/tires level or just inside the fender edge. I have 10.5 wheels with a 25mm offset and they are level with the edge of fender and I'm sporting 285/35s; no stretch. With your 10.5s sitting at 35mm, a 5mm spacer would be perfect and still clear the suspension in the rear.

For the front you have more leeway. I suggest a 10 or 15mm spacer. I have +18 on my 8.5 wheel and it sits level sporting 245/35s.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang! So the inside of your rear stretched tire rubbed the rear shock? That is hard to believe that you rubbed w/ a 245 tire on a 33mm offset yet Slider and other guys don't rub w/ much wider tires (275-295??) on 22mm offset? Could you correct it w/ less camber or anything else?

I'm pretty set on avoiding spacers all together. For one thing my free rotations at Discount Tire (even dismount and remount if necessary since I'm staggered and directional) goes completely away. They just won't touch them at all if they see spacers. I also don't want the weight and slight risk. And lastly I just don't want the rim poke.

I do appreciate the advice. The rims are in a different city and basically we are trying to agree on a price and I was planning on going to pick them up (assuming we make the deal) but obviously won't if they don't fit. Of course we have to verify caliper fitment but it shouldn't be a problem. If that sort of offset (35mm) just simply won't clear than I need to find a 10' wide wheel that works for me instead. I'm really down w/ THESE particular wheels however. The lips and weights all are perfect. They just need some semi-gloss black paint and I'd be good to go.

PS. What do people that purchase new Volks at a great price spend on them anyways?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
S-Steve, you might be a lot more slammed than I am however.

I feel like my stock rears are pretty darn flush w/ 17mm spacers.

Once again, I appreciate the advise guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts