Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Background: I bought my GC new in July 2012. It has been modified since the day I bought it and currently has 90,000mi. I've had all 3 stages of BTR tunes. I am at the point where I felt like in order to get more out of the car I was going to have to make a decision on where to go next. Do I build the engine? Do I sell it and buy something else? Or should I try an LS swap. I weighed all of the pros and cons and decided to try the LS swap. I am coming into this with zero experience swapping engines or with the LS platform, but I have been doing as much researching as possible. Cars are just a hobby for me and I'm by no means an expert. I have 4 vehicles and the GC is mostly used as something fun to drive to work in the summer. I participate in a few charity rallies each year as well. I am working on this swap over the winter and hoping to have it ready for this coming spring 2020. I'm not really a social media guy, but I do upload to Instagram when I make progress, feel free to check that as well: OnePunch4Brunch (@onepunch4brunch) • Instagram photos and videos

Car: 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec
Current Performance Mods:
  • BTR Stage 3 GTX3076 @ 24psi
  • MXP exhaust manifold
  • 3" Custom turbo back
  • Synapse BOV
  • Injen Intake
  • BK1 Intake Manifold
  • 4.18 final drive w/ LSD
  • Snow Performance Stage 2 meth kit
  • Slotted and dimpled rotors
  • Prosport EVO (Boost, Wideband, Oil temp) gauges
LS Swap Build:

• Engine:
    • 6.0 LY6 Gen IV (from a 2008 Silverado 2500HD), rebuilt with:
      • Summit Pro LS forged pistons
      • Clevite main bearings
      • Clevite rod bearings
      • ARP rod bolts
      • LS7 lifters and trays
      • LS9 headgaskets
      • PAC-1218 valve springs
      • BTR valve stem seals
      • Melling high volume oil pump
      • ARP head bolts
      • LSA harmonic balancer
      • CTS-V water pump
      • C5 FEAD
      • VVT delete
      • LS9 camshaft
      • Reconditioned Gen IV rods
      • Stock push rods
      • Stock rockers
  • Transmission/Drivetrain:
    • T-56 from 2004 GTO
    • Monster Stage 3 single disc clutch (700whp/700wtq)
    • ATQ differential bushing kit and brace
    • OEM 4.181 differential w/ Hyundai LSD
    • Still need bellhousing

• Swap kit:
    • Sikky oil pan
    • Sikky 5.5" shifter relocation
    • Sikky headers
    • Sikky remote oil filter kit
    • 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
    • Sikky billet engine mounts (urethane bushings)

• Supercharger:
    • Complete LSA takeoff supercharger from ZL1
    • Stock pulleys
    • Stock heat exchanger and pump

Engine Control:
  • TBD (Between E38 ECU and harness, E67 ECU and harness, or Holley Terminator X Max)
Fueling:
  • TBD
Power Goals:
  • Initial goal is somewhere in the 500-600 whp/wtq range. The engine is built to withstand far more than that, but that was my intent. At some point in the future after I've worked out any bugs I will look at pulley swaps and work towards the 600-700 whp/wtq range and probably let it sit there. I'm not trying to make this the fastest car on the road, I just want reliable fun that is decently competitive in my charity rallies.
Status as of 1/27/20:
  • Disassembled junkyard LY6. Found out a cam bearing was seized to the camshaft
  • Cleaned and painted engine block
  • Bead blasted heads
  • Polished valve covers
  • Short block rebuilt by Wheeler Racing Engines (See parts list above)
  • Long block completely assembled
  • Next step will be removing the old 2.0T engine and prepping the bay for the LS.

I am open to any feedback or tips, again, I don't claim to be an expert. I am still trying to figure out the wiring portion of this as well, and I now its going to depend on how much of the gauge cluster functionality I want to maintain.

More to come....

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just something to think about :D
That's pretty slick, but it costs more than I paid for the whole transmission lol. For now I'll be using the Sikky shifter. Supposedly it will line up with the factory shifter location on the GC so I shouldn't have to do any cutting. It feels like a pretty good piece, but I'll be sure to provide feedback once I have it installed.

·
IG: jasonlikedthis
788 Posts
Impressive. I wish I had the balls and knowledge to pull off a build like this. Can't wait to see the end product!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Impressive. I wish I had the balls and knowledge to pull off a build like this. Can't wait to see the end product!
Well, I had/have no experience in doing a swap like this, but to me the best way to learn is to just jump in. I've been reading up as much as I can for the better part of a year before I actually bought any parts. My original intent for this build was much less exciting and way less expensive, but when I found the cam bearing was seized to the cam and had to remove the entire rotating assembly I just decided to give it a fresh rebuild...then I happened upon a complete LSA supercharger setup and now here we are with a budget that is about double what I planned on spending.

UPDATE:
  • Mocked up the front end accessory drive tonight. I'm using the FEAD from a Corvette C5 since the drive belt is on the same spacing as the LSA FEAD.
    • One area of concern I have will be with the alternator. I'm hoping its not sticking out too far to interfere with the fuse box in the GC.
  • I also installed the harmonic damper. I wasn't able to install the final bolt because I still need to pin the crank. The pin kit I bought was missing the drill guide so I need to get that before I can finish the install.
  • Set the supercharger on the engine to check for any areas of interference.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:
  • Starting the removal of the 2.0T. I'm trying to be thoughtful on how I take things off so that I can make sure the parts are packaged up correctly for when it comes time to sell off pieces. Not a ton of room left in my garage since I have a truck, a full size SUV, the Genesis, and all of the LS swap parts laying around.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:
  • Pulled the engine a few weeks ago. Engine and transmission came out as one unit. For anyone looking at pulling the engine in the future, it is extremely easy on this car.
  • Next step is cleaning up the unused wiring, piping, and hoses before setting the LS in for mock up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really wanna know a ballpark of how much the whole thing would cost, I have my cdl so I barely have time to work on it Myself I’d have to have my shop do it

·
shorttrack
1,632 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I am but what's your budget, I'm trying to Gauge how much I'll need to start my ls3 dream build
Well, I'm not exactly trying to penny pinch on this build so there are a lot of places you can save money if you like hunting around for used stuff or different quality parts. My build is probably in the ball park of $15,000, but again I'm not they guy who waits around for all of the good deals to pop up. I find what I want and just buy it. I could have gone more expensive in areas too.

Many other will tell you about how they can do it for a few grand and then when you look at their build thread they mention how their friend gave them an LS3 free or they found a built T-56 for $1,000, etc... deals that you're not likely to find.
  • Not rebuilding the engine would have saved me $2000-$3000 (machine work, assembly, and parts)
  • Not supercharging would have saved me probably $5000 (Supercharger kit, higher strength clutch requirements, higher fueling requirements, etc...)
  • Using a GM ECM instead of the Holley Terminator X Max would have saved $1,000
  • The Sikky kit is more expensive than the Enjuku kit
For just an LS3 swap, if you do the work yourself, you shouldn't have an issue staying under $10,000. If you have to pay someone to do the work then it will be substantially more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Someone has $$$$. This build is sweet! I went enjuku for the savings, but rebuilding the motor is where i have spent most of my budget. How do you plan on wiring it up? Just 1 ecu?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
UPDATE:
  • Test fit the engine and transmission this weekend so I can make measurements for hoses and wires.
  • There is plenty of room, almost looks like the engine is supposed to be in there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts