Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
oh hayyy
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...ends in my car spewing smoke out of the tailpipes.

Gen went in for its 6k mile service today. As I'm driving home, I noticed a huge wall of smoke coming out of my car on a hill near my house.

Get home to find that even with the car sitting in park/neutral that a nice stream of white smoking is just flowing out of the exhaust.

I just drove 500 miles this weekend with zero problems. Obviously its something that happened at the dealer :dunno:

Car just got towed back to dealer, nobody in the service department is answering their phones either. So...we'll see how this whole situation goes and a dealer review will follow.

How is everybody else's Valentines day? :fleshbox:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Messed up.

Bought my wife some chocolates. Going to get some good dinner tonight.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Did they do oil change? Possibly too much oil..

·
oh hayyy
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I know they changed it :rofl:

I checked the oil level when I got home (engine was SCALDING hot, very strange) and the level was fine.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Sounds like you lost a head gasket and your coolant made it's way out of the exhaust.

·
Ontario Genesis Club
3,356 Posts
Yucky! Mine sucked, but that cause my company's made me work 18 hours today!

Best of luck with the problem!

·
Ontario Genesis Club
3,356 Posts
Yucky! Mine sucked, but that cause my company's made me work 18 hours today!

Best of luck with the problem!

·
oh hayyy
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So

Apparently the cause was that the engine oil cap wasn't seated properly and that caused a lack of pressure.

I'll go with that because everything seemed fine on the way home. I said to them "Well, its good that it was simple. I thought it was gonna be something like coolant in the oil"

They said "oh man, that's old school." :dunno:

But hey, I got a few free oil changes out of it (oh the irony).

·
GenSport Carolinas
3,001 Posts
Make sure this is well documented just in case you have future problems.

·
oh hayyy
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Make sure this is well documented just in case you have future problems.
Oh it is. I had them make me a printout of the work done and the reason for it. Wasn't gonna leave until I had that.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yeah, driving without oil pressure can ruin the engine. My car is in the shop for the next day or two because I noticed it didn't have any coolant in it. Hmm...

·
oh hayyy
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Strange to note that I had no CEL light or anything. Even the engine oil temp gauge was at the normal level.

·
Gooood! GOOOOOD!
6,450 Posts
Dang, man! That's the reason why I do all of the maintenance. You can't trust your average "technician" knuckle head to get the job done right.

·
War Eagle!
705 Posts
^ this.

well, the average oil change for me at least... I try to stay away from the stealership as much as I can

·
oh hayyy
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have no problem doing installations of aftermarket parts by myself. Or oil changes for that matter.

Its just been too cold to bother doing it myself and I'm turning into an old man.

Plus, as long as they're free, I have no problem taking it back to them.

Anybody could mess up like that. I work at a tire shop and every once in a while something is overlooked. I've left tons of tools under the hood of my car, forgot to tighten bolts. I've had a catback system fall off and old car of mine before.

The mechanics at this particular dealer are actually very good. Very professional and upfront about things. Plus, the service shop is absolutely cool with modifications. A slight slip up isn't going to make me lose total faith in a shop, especially since they owned up to it and took every course of action to rectify the problem. I'm still a happy patron of their dealership.

In fact, I'm apparently one of 2 people they know with a modified Hyundai that comes to them at all.

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
Dang, man! That's the reason why I do all of the maintenance. You can't trust your average "technician" knuckle head to get the job done right.
Well that, and yours now has a LS motor for its heart lol

·
War Eagle!
705 Posts
HAHAHA I would love to see the look on the hyundai tech's face when he popped the hood on that one! :rofl:

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
Tom already has it fairly close to being done in his and I am seriously considering doing it too. That way, G&M has a show and a track car (I'm hitting the track, baby :D). I agree, be awesome to pop the hood at a meet or track event and have a corvette or camaro LS in there. I can picture the flashy red from the Corvette motors in there on the engine cover lol.

·
oh hayyy
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HAHAHA I would love to see the look on the hyundai tech's face when he popped the hood on that one! :rofl:
I would take it in for "scheduled service" just for shits and giggles.

Ugghh I miss the sounds of my old LSx motors :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts