Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Run Redline MT-90..

I've been using this for years, back in the day I bought the first year of the WRX here in the states. The trans would grind going into 1st, 2nd, & 3rd.

Took it to the dealer and they said that they were going to order new 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gears. OK cool I'll drive the car until parts come in.

So then I was talking to a buddy of mine that did a lot of track time with his cars. Said to go get MT-90 redline and that will fix all issues.

Replaced the fluid with MT-90 and no grinding or any issues what so ever! I could also shift faster and smoother. I never did get the tranny worked on at Subaru, told them to send the parts back. Never had another issue, and I drove that car hard!

Now the first thing I do when I get a new car is, swap out all fluids to Redline, trans and diff's.
How is it during the winter??

·
Banned
159 Posts
How is it during the winter??
Well I don't live where it gets too cold but I have buddies that live back east that use it also and they have no complaints.

The only experience I have in cold weather with it is driving up in the Sierra's to visit family every now and then. I didn't notice any difference at all.

Ever since I put it in the GC it never grinds ever! Unless I make a mistake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Genesistom...i swaped the fluid for MT-90...no more grind and there's a really satisfying "thud" when i shift..Im Really happy with it

·
Registered
20 Posts
My tranny began to grind at 6k miles. Brought it in for service, the service manager verified that there is a problem, and now waiting for Hyundai to give the go to send over a new transmission. I love my Genesis, but man, this Hyundai was too good to be true.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My tranny began to grind at 6k miles. Brought it in for service, the service manager verified that there is a problem, and now waiting for Hyundai to give the go to send over a new transmission. I love my Genesis, but man, this Hyundai was too good to be true.
As soon as they fix the issue, flush that crap fluid out and put in mt-90...you wont have any more problems...just make sure you do it before the problem returns

·
Pro Driver
57 Posts
http://www.gencoupe.com/2-0t-discus...ranty-transmission-replacement-23k-miles.html

I JUST went through the entire warranty replacement with my dealership. The experience sucked, but the new tranny seems fine. I have no idea if they have changed anything, they told me it is a GM unit (I was so disgusted I haven't done any research, which is unlike me, but I just let them handle it.) and I just got a bad one. It seems they picked a really crappy unit if they are breaking with stock HP numbers. That is bad planning. My car is totally stock and I have a lot of experience... I am not hard on hardware, at all. It's pretty disappointing since the rest of the car is so good.

(except my base model's open diff, but that's my fault I didn't buy an r-spec)

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
They gave you a gm unit? I have not heard of that one.

·
Pro Driver
57 Posts
They gave you a gm unit? I have not heard of that one.
That was what my service manager told me... that our cars have a unit sourced from GM. Like I said, I haven't done any research to validate what he said, I assume he knows. Seemed weird to me, but then again there are Mitsubishi parts in front of that, as well.

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
Yea he doesn't know what he's talking about. Ours is hyundai made.

·
Timbit Biter
1,775 Posts
No grind for me through all 8 gears...oh yeah, mine is an automatic.

The six speed they put in the GC is a piece of crap!

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
That's fantastic. I hope he just misspoke. As long as they ordered and installed the correct unit I don't much care if he doesn't know, but that is pretty bad.
I would love to have a gm built trans in our car. They make fantastic engine And transmissions. But I don't want to lay swap yet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Is anybody getting a slight 6th gear grind? It doesnt happen everytime but id say 1 of every 5 i get a slight grind going into 6th.
Well this is just great, I got a 2013 R-Spec, and this just started happening to me about 20 miles ago, I got about 10k (all stock car) on the car at the moment.
At first I thought It was just me, but driving the car out this morning the same thing happened, If I shift fast or am at high RPM's it is more likely to do it.

If I go from 4 to 6th, it is more likely to happen, so for now I have to be very careful when going in to six, I am making sure my RPM's are low and I shift in slowly.

So add me to the Grind Club; I'm going to have to set up an appointment with the dealership (as always I hope they don't try to pull some crap on me).

Anyone know if there is a service bulletin out from Hyundai to the dealerships regarding this issue, it seems many are having it, so I would imagine that there is a Technical Service Bulletin on this, anyone know?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm getting my second transmission swap..this time for second gear...Hyundai knows about this transmission issues now, so they're getting me a 2014 tranny that supposedly has better everything...we'll see what happens

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm getting my second transmission swap..this time for second gear...Hyundai knows about this transmission issues now, so they're getting me a 2014 tranny that supposedly has better everything...we'll see what happens
I'm getting a fairly bad grind on 6th nowadays. 6,000 miles, ironically.

If I'm going to waste time getting the transmission swapped, no way in hell I let them put anything other than a 2014+ transmission with carbon synchros.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I get a grind if I take 2nd up to 6k and then go to shift into 6th too quickly. Have an unrelated dealership appointment for next week but looks like I'll be mentioning this as well.

·
Desert Rat
1,246 Posts
Where is the Hyundai 6 speed Tremek upgrade? We need this.. lol

I still have no grind in any gear with 30K on my 2013. I have had BTR stage 2 now for almost 20K and drive the piss out of it..

Knocking on wood now..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Where is the Hyundai 6 speed Tremek upgrade? We need this.. lol

I still have no grind in any gear with 30K on my 2013. I have had BTR stage 2 now for almost 20K and drive the piss out of it..

Knocking on wood now..
Lucky you! I'm tryna get mine swapped as we speak before I go stage 2. I get a 6th gear grind when I shift normally, but it's fine when slow. I'm on vacation right now and every time I call they said that they can't duplicate the issue. I doubt they even drove it yet, when I get back I'll take them for a ride and show em. I also told them about all the threads on this website with the issue so they best stop dicking me around.

Edit. I guess the guy I was talking to was a dope and they've ordered my new transmission and are putting it in tomorrow or Saturday.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts