Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just came back from the dealer after getting my a/c compressor replaced. the service record they gave me says that the compressor has "bad internals and not pumping freon". when it died i was going down the freeway with the ac on, about 95 outside. i dropped to 4th and took it to 7 grand (sfr 1.5 tune) for fun at which point the air stopped blowing cold and there was a strong smell of gas in the car. i drove home with the windows open and by the time i got home the smell was still there but much less potent. next day the smell was gone and took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it as above. im going to presume that by internals, they actually mean the internals and not the clutch.
is it possible that taking the car over 6.5k with the ac on can damage and destroy the compressor? or did i just end up losing the made in china roulette?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, per your signature, you have a bk2 so it doesn't have a traditional magnetic clutch... it's always "running", so to speak. Anyway, my point is that it doesn't matter if your A/C is turned on or not in this case. That being said, if going over 6500 rpm killed the compressor, mine and countless others would have also detonated. I think you just drew the short straw...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, per your signature, you have a bk2 so it doesn't have a traditional magnetic clutch... it's always "running", so to speak.
wait are you sure? how come the engine loads up whenever the compressor clicks on and wouldn't the heater be useless and the evaporator ice up all the time?
Anyway, my point is that it doesn't matter if your A/C is turned on or not in this case. That being said, if going over 6500 rpm killed the compressor, mine and countless others would have also detonated. I think you just drew the short straw...
good point

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Unfortunately I'm not awake enough to explain it properly... so I did you one better. Here's a fantastic explanation.
oh I see now, guess the load is from the system increasing the displacement to cool the system rather than the clutch kicking on. guess it makes sense because I don't think I've ever heard the clutch cycle like in a regular car when running.

·
Registered
281 Posts
oh I see now, guess the load is from the system increasing the displacement to cool the system rather than the clutch kicking on. guess it makes sense because I don't think I've ever heard the clutch cycle like in a regular car when running.
Exactly :) When I got my first bk2, it had me rather perplexed as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts