Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
shorttrack
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys that have turbo kits on your 3.8 you would do yourself justice by going to a taller gear if possible .Example If you have a 3.70:1 ring & pinion gear set ,change to a 3.54:1. If you have a 3.54:1 you can not go any taller because 3.54:1 is the highest Gen Coupe platform R&P gear set.The only option would be to install slightly taller tire selection.In the race world this is a known secret .Do a search for better explanation If needed.

Reactions: Cesar Ruiz

·
shorttrack
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Your Gen will be much faster after this mod ,that is a 100% guarantee.Every Gen Coupe running a Turbo kit you see will always need to shift fast because of running up the RPM's too quickly and having to shift fast for running ''OUT'' of gears .

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
It was fairly obvious to me...after slapping a turbo kit on my tiburon (short gearing 6spd )

Are you planing to go with higher final drive, even thought of 75 shot?
I think that 3.9 is only suted for NA 3.8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
shorttrack
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It was fairly obvious to me...after slapping a turbo kit on my tiburon (short gearing 6spd )

Are you planing to go with higher final drive, even thought of 75 shot?
I think that 3.9 is only suted for NA 3.8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I have already installed my 3.909:1 gear set.Took Nitrous down to 75 shot from my 125 shot.Being that I have focused on traction issues of my Gen I can still hit 1.80's 60 foot.Also re-installed my WOTBOX.The problem with a turbo (unless you spend $$$$ for a controller or really understand what you are doing to control traction issues)vs Nitrous is ,with nitrous I can dial my hit in at any time I want and control the ramp% to full hit during lauch which is where all your time is lost.Basic to mid level turbo kits have a very difficult time doing this.The set up I am running now I would still beat all these turbo built Gens out there except 1,the 1 from PR (High$$$$$) running in the 10.50 et range @133mph.

·
shorttrack
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I went with 3.909:1 R&P set to make up for the minus 50hp of nitrous I took out of my car .Car runs the same but just smoother.And I don't go through nitrous as fast anymore.Tuned for 91 but I run 93 (nitrous reason) and run 30% meth & 70% distilled water .It has brought my cost down running this way and makes less the chance of breaking something.For what a turbo kit cost I built my entire Gen for.

·
shorttrack
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Let me put this in perspective, If I had to grudge race another Gen coupe for money and he or she had a turbo kit and decent street tires I would not worry about beating him or her at all.Now if I had to race a gen with Bilstein B8 0r 6 shocks,4th diff mount , soft compound tires or drag radials and supporting other mods and a higher ring and pinion gear set I would worry about losing my money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts