Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just got his 2009 335i back from his dealer....he took it in because it was sluggish....they took the valve cover off and the intake valves and intake runners were BADLY covered with carbon deposits. I wish I could show the pic he sent...I have seen 15 year old engines that didn't look that bad. The tech told him its an undesirable characteristic of direct injection. They covered it under warranty. I hope the 13+ 3.8 GCs don't have the same issue

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
cool story bro

·
Former GTO hater/ owner
603 Posts
Do ya think, maybe, extended oil change intervals, or the wrong oil, with twin turbos could've done it, instead of the DI? The DI, in itself, cannot contribute to oil in the intake. Or an improperly implemented/ designed crankcase ventilation system on a boosted motor may be to blame?
DI is the last thing I'd blame.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do ya think, maybe, extended oil change intervals, or the wrong oil, with twin turbos could've done it, instead of the DI? The DI, in itself, cannot contribute to oil in the intake. Or an improperly implemented/ designed crankcase ventilation system on a boosted motor may be to blame?
DI is the last thing I'd blame.
Actually he meticulously changes the oil with the recommended weight and type. I agree that the crankcase ventilation system could be to blame, however do a quick google search and you'll find several articles related to carbon build up related to a direct injection system. It has to do more with lack of fuel spay in the head (which aids in washing away carbon deposits in a traditional fuel delivery engine). Perhaps you should check your facts before being such a smart a$$.

Again it was just a heads up...don't get your panties all in a bunch.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Yeah, the same problem exists with the DI Audi/VW motors as well as the Mazdaspeed3. As you said it's an unfortunate characteristic of boosted DI, not sure if the same holds true for non-FI DI. This is the first DI NA motor that I know of.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hyundai tech checking in here... every car will have carbon deposits and build up that runs on unleaded fuel...fuel quality and octane will reduce desposits....even after 7k miles on a brand new non GDI hyundai motor there is carbon build up on pistons.... fuel additives from shell and chevron def helps reduce carbon build up and keep combustion chambers and valves clean..for example we use BG products such as AIR INDUCTION service...cleaner that is ran from throttle body and exits tail pipe... these services do work..ive seen intake manifolds from v6 santa fe's with gunk build up on the runners look brand new after service...its all preventative maintenance guys...

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2006 Mazdaspeed6 is DI and it has problems with carbon buildup. I just had to have a clogged EGR valve serviced.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used to have an 07 335i, this is a very well known problem with DI engines, just google it. The Audis are even worse. Only time will tell with the Hyundai 3.8 GDI motor. The issue is that in DI, gas cleaning additives never make it to the intake manifold and valves to clean carbon deposits off. Again, just google "direct injection carbon" if you want to know...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Again it was just a heads up...don't get your panties all in a bunch.
Good on you, but there's no need to try to be helpful on here; if it isnt about how to get a GC two millimeters off the ground, or what set of fugly wheels you just bought, most of these douche nozzles wont care.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
hyundai tech checking in here... every car will have carbon deposits and build up that runs on unleaded fuel...fuel quality and octane will reduce desposits....even after 7k miles on a brand new non GDI hyundai motor there is carbon build up on pistons.... fuel additives from shell and chevron def helps reduce carbon build up and keep combustion chambers and valves clean..for example we use BG products such as AIR INDUCTION service...cleaner that is ran from throttle body and exits tail pipe... these services do work..ive seen intake manifolds from v6 santa fe's with gunk build up on the runners look brand new after service...its all preventative maintenance guys...
All this gunk that is removed, where exactly does it go? I'm always worried about these machines that move crap around, as it could make something get stuck somewhere else.
Are you aware if HYUNDAI actually recommends this in their service manual, (I haven't checked my owners manual on this yet)or is this something that your service department recommends?

·
Former GTO hater/ owner
603 Posts
I simply Googled "335i oil in intake", and, I found quite a few examples of, well, oil in the intake. Seemed to me that the bimmer in question has oil control issues, period.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
That was a big concern on the e90 forum when I had my 335i. What we would do atleast once a year is run a bottle of seafoam to clean out everything. That stuff works great.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I simply Googled "335i oil in intake", and, I found quite a few examples of, well, oil in the intake. Seemed to me that the bimmer in question has oil control issues, period.
Bmw placed the blowby tube back into the intake before the rear turbo. So the oil would run through the turbo through the intercooler and back into chargepipe. If any car needed a oil catch can this was the car. When I took my stock intercooler and chargepipe off it was coated with oil that had turned to sludge.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Good on you, but there's no need to try to be helpful on here; if it isnt about how to get a GC two millimeters off the ground, or what set of fugly wheels you just bought, most of these douche nozzles wont care.....
Unfortunately this couldn't be more accurate.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Originally Posted by TweetTrack View Post
Unfortunately this couldn't be more accurate.
Yeah, I have noticed the same thing around here since joining...

·
Out of SIDI into GDI
84 Posts
every DI engine need a good catch can, and I don't just mean a hollow can from ebay for 20 bucks. Look for Rx catch can, billet, etc... The reason for valve deposit is simple. DI does not introduce fuel until the combustion chamber, so the intake manifold runners is all air and there's nothing that can flush/burn the carbon away. so especially in the back of the valves is where you DI guys will really see some issues. I have a pic somewhere on our camaro DI board where someone opened up the engine just in 10k miles and you can see the deposit built up. a GOOD catch can is a must!

Sent from my Androdified autoguide

·
Registered
924 Posts
every DI engine need a good catch can, and I don't just mean a hollow can from ebay for 20 bucks. Look for Rx catch can, billet, etc... The reason for valve deposit is simple. DI does not introduce fuel until the combustion chamber, so the intake manifold runners is all air and there's nothing that can flush/burn the carbon away. so especially in the back of the valves is where you DI guys will really see some issues. I have a pic somewhere on our camaro DI board where someone opened up the engine just in 10k miles and you can see the deposit built up. a GOOD catch can is a must!

Sent from my Androdified autoguide
+1 on this. I had one on my veloster before I traded it because of pictures of the valves being caked with gunk. Most of the stuff to answer a previous questions is just burnt off and shot out the tail pipe. Top engine clean from GM is some marvelous stuff works the same was as the BG stuff in liquid form, if you can only get airosol you can induce it by pulling the vacume hose off the brake booster, this will deliver it right into the intake manifold. I use to do this alot on my old probe about ever other oil change, torn the engine down and whaalaaa pretty damn clean for a 200k motor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
All this gunk that is removed, where exactly does it go? I'm always worried about these machines that move crap around, as it could make something get stuck somewhere else.
Are you aware if HYUNDAI actually recommends this in their service manual, (I haven't checked my owners manual on this yet)or is this something that your service department recommends?[/QUOTE

hyundai now has fuel system treatment that looks exactly like techron fuel additives you find at auto parts store... its not listed in the service manual.. but our rep recommends the bottle on every other oil changes for turbo 2.0t gdi sonatas.. the preventative maintenance we offer( (AIR INDUCTION SERVICE by BG) every 30k miles or sooner if u want.. the detergent will slowly clean the intake runners and burn through combustion chambers... ive done plenty on 2.0t gdi sonatas.. its about a 15 minute process very similar to sea foam but more affective.. it will blow out pure white smoke during the service.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts