Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was driving along on a road, put it down into sport mode for a hill, and then the car wouldn't move from there. My car is stuck in drive, won't start and is throwing the error code p0705, which is the transmission range switch.

Btw the shift lock button does not work, so I'm stuck in the water...and damn is this car really really getting close to consider selling due to all these flaws, geez

So if y'all have any input whatsoever that would be appriciated

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
You need a brake switch, take it to the dealer

·
Logan
861 Posts
You need a brake switch, take it to the dealer
Hopefully, but it could be more to it than that since the lock button didn't help. May be the internal sensors for position of the shift lever. Is it not moving at all physically, or just not changing from D to anything?

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
If the ecu thinks your foot is on the brake then it will let you shift, but if it doesn't know it will just assume you don't have the brakes applied.

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
A quick check to see if your brake switch is bad is to rapidly depress brake pedal and see if the brake lights illuminate. If they don't light up or don't react quickly then the switch is bad. If the switch is fine then the inhibitor bracket on the transmission may have a loosened up, if the retaining nut on the inhibitor bracket arm loosened then you would be stuck in whatever gear you were last in. Did you have a TSB performed recently?

·
Premium Member
16,241 Posts
when you pop the tiny shiftlock cover off, put a key or something long in and move the key back, so the tip inside the shifter panel is facing forward.

the shift lock thing is not a button, its a lever. you have to move the lever forward some how.

·
White 2.0T A/T
772 Posts
Ak didn't this happen to you? You couldn't get into park?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
16,241 Posts
nope. mine was that the car wouldn't shut off.

it was a stupid issue, and 10cent washer took care of the problem

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah, sorry for the late response, I've literally been working on the car for 4 hours.

I've found the problem. After burrowing deep into the center console where the shifter is I found that the inside of the "shift boot", where the A/T gate is, had almost no grease to lube it. I found the problem, mine being that the little stalk that relays to the computer what gear you are in had completely worn down. There is a little stalk that sits at a 90 degree angle that keeps the shifter standing straight up, and lets you not shift into certain positions unless the brake is compressed. After looking at the "shift lock" and finding that it literally is a wire that tells your computer "NO." So that I knew right away was the problem. The actual stalk that holds the shifter up had broken somehow, meaning that the 90 degree stalk was falling down too far and getting stuck on the actual shifter itself...which was/is a PITA.

So as of right now i have nothing hooked up and the car is simply driving based on what position the shifter is in, yet somehow the display on the dash still know what it's in. I also found out that the shifter itself is made in a straight line fashion. I have no idea why Hyundai made it bend in all different directions from P to R to N to D to +/-. It simply could just be a straight line shifter with only the +/- sitting over, it looks as if it was bound to break at some point, though the plastic in there is surprisingly durable. This makes the throws between P,N,R and D SUPER short, I'm talking from P to D is 1-1 1/4 inches. AND, that the car has 3 different drive positions and 2 neutral positions, I'm guessing so they can use the same design on multiple cars.

Regardless my fix is only temporary, I'm taking it to the dealer when I get back in town in a week. I'm also going to bring up the potential dangers of having a system that can be stuck in D. If someone who didn't know much about cars had the problem I did, they would be stuck on the side of the road with their car in D (not being able to be towed without dragging the tires) as well as the keys stuck in the ignition. If I wouldn't have know that when you unplug the battery you can get the keys out in any gear, I would have been stuck up a creek without a paddle. That to me is a safety concern to those who could have this rare problem.
Going on with the problem, once the car was turned off it wouldn't start because it was stuck in a driving gear, so the computer wouldn't crank the engine at all, very weird IMO.

I'll post some pics tomorrow of what the problem is due to it being quite difficult to explain, as well as how I'm running as of now with my temporary fix.

·
White 2.0T A/T
772 Posts
Were you able to get it into neutral at? You can at least turn on and off the car in neutral I don't think you can take out the keys.

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I wasn't able to get it in N originally. After I took the whole shifter assembly apart I found the "Park" switch/relay. If you connect the main assembly to the wiring harness, which runs through the center console, you can fool the car into thinking that its in park. This is what I have to do every time I get out if my car for the time being. And like I said if the keys just won't come out, you can always unplug the battery to get them out, but then its stuck in gear. I'll get the pics up in a few, and also take a video to show you the trick that anyone can do to get their car in "park"(make the computer think it is) and post them in a few. BUT, if you were to fool the car while it was still in Drive then you have to reset up the stalk that connects to the computer, which simply requires un-clicking the shifter from the computer stalk. It's not as complicated as it sounds, I'll just have to show it in the video.

I also took it to Hyundai today to see what they would do. The guy there (who is super cool) said as long as I can rebuild it and make it look like I never touched it, then they can work on it. He says they'll have to replace the whole assembly to fix it. Which requires my whole center stack (from the glove compartment in the middle, to where the radio and A/C sits) to be removed. So basically the 60% of the entire interior trim, which includes the damn carpet that is clipped in with the trim. Guess my car is going to be "Racecar" while at Hyundai!

·
White 2.0T A/T
772 Posts
A video would be awesome. Hopefully this never happens to me good to know though

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for neglecting the thread, I'm out of town and won't be back in town until Thursday (SB).

I'll post the videos then, I brought my computer, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get Internet off of it...:(

I'll bump it with Vids and Pics in a few days!

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Video still coming don't worry! And depending on what Hyundai wants to do with it (the other problems such as, the battery shorting out, the locks not "unlocking," and other things not even worth mentioning) my car might be "totaled" if Hyundai decides not to let my warranty have any effect! Great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did Hyundai end up coming through

My car is having the exact same issue it got stuck in drive and won't shift out now. The shift lock release did let me get it in park though even though the car thinks it's in drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts