Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well, I'm at work now, but the intake came with a dyno sheet from AEM's own testing, and the numbers were not much. Honestly, all the intakes will give similar gains, and the variation you are seeing between different intakes could be from numerous different things. One intake may be rated at 8hp and another at 12hp, but will you really notice a difference in that? I doubt it.

An intake is more of a supporting mod to help get better airflow so your can get more out of your tune. I wouldn't recommend just slapping an intake on and not doing anything with a tune, since then your really just getting a noise maker that you will feel a tiny difference from. New intake + a tune though is where your really going to see HP gains. For example if you look at Beyond Redlines "base" power axel tune and then compare it to their stage 1 tune which incorporates the AEM CAI, the differences are more noticeable than going from bone stock to all stock but with an intake.
I know that. I've been doing this for a while but I've also been around long enough to know when manufcaturers are covering up minimal or even negative gains (yes I know poor word choice) so they can market to the next platform...I'm not saying that's what is going on here but its really fishy.

I went to AEM's website and looked at their dyno for this intake and they only show a horsepower graph that IMO looks odd to begin with. Then I see this thread writeup of an install for it AND a dyno with an exhaust for a baseline, and the car LOSES ALMOST 30 FT LBS OF TORQUE. Something's up and I want to get to the bottom of it for everyone's sake so there won't be anymore threads on which intake r0x0rz the most b0x0rz and so we know which are a waste of money.

I'm having a hard time finding any dynos of Injen's intake performance but their claims involve more than hp gains, they involve torque gains as well...I can't cry foul on them and hope it's true, but so far the only proven intake in my eyes is CPE's, but even their intake may have issues in stop and go traffic on a summer day...

·
Uber Member
255 Posts
^bump on this post

·
Habitual Speeder.
46 Posts
Anyone know what rims are on the OP GC?

Also is there a best place to order the intake, or is it a similar price across the board?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had the sfr reflash done a week before I had this aem cai installed on my 2.0T stick r-spec. my car before the intake with just the reflash felt smooth and continuous pull althe way to redline. After this Aem cai it does fell like more pull but as the WOT pull continues up to redline it fells and sounds like it is starving for air the closer it is getting to redine. almost like the small space down where the air filter is now located is restricking the air flow and was wondering if any one has test this with maybe extra air holes added to the grill section in front of the air filter and before holes to see if there is a deiference.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Thanks for the writeup!

·
301 whp
1,102 Posts
I had the sfr reflash done a week before I had this aem cai installed on my 2.0T stick r-spec. my car before the intake with just the reflash felt smooth and continuous pull althe way to redline. After this Aem cai it does fell like more pull but as the WOT pull continues up to redline it fells and sounds like it is starving for air the closer it is getting to redine. almost like the small space down where the air filter is now located is restricking the air flow and was wondering if any one has test this with maybe extra air holes added to the grill section in front of the air filter and before holes to see if there is a deiference.
I think you are just bumping up against the stock turbo limitations. I installed mine at the same time I did the BR turbo upgrade, and have nothing but positive things to say about the intake. You will notice your OEM snorkel is still providing cool air to the filter. Blows right over it. I plan to open up my fog light covers for more direct air, even without, it is not like the engine bay is sealed, it will still pull air just not as cool as with the fog light covers opened up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I went with Injen, is there any difference in quality and performance ?? I heard both offer the same gain right ?
nop this one waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better... it would take a day to do all that and u gain crazyyy power... just go with a cp e ...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think you are just bumping up against the stock turbo limitations. I installed mine at the same time I did the BR turbo upgrade, and have nothing but positive things to say about the intake. You will notice your OEM snorkel is still providing cool air to the filter. Blows right over it. I plan to open up my fog light covers for more direct air, even without, it is not like the engine bay is sealed, it will still pull air just not as cool as with the fog light covers opened up.
My installers removed the oem snorkel during install. hmm
it also as I climb over 5k it makes a flutter noise like when you get down to the bottom of a cup with a straw during full WOT.

·
Suffering from withdrawal
124 Posts
Is "a lot" considered a definite number :D

There was someone who took a video in the glove box which got good audio of what it sounds like. The stock intake doesn't make noise and sometimes you can hear a faint pshh when you get off the throttle.
The AEM you hear every noise the turbo makes as soon as you get into boost, and any time you lift off the throttle while in boost gives a fairly loud BOV sound, similar to the forge BOV. I'll try and put my iPhone in the glove box later to get the sound. I'm on bus for wor now so won't be for like 9hrs
I just had mine installed and it is LOUD. I love it! You're right, it does sound like there is a BOV.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
good write up! im getting mine in about a week and i will def be using this.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thank you for this great write up. It was a great help installing my intake. I didn't have any problems taking the car apart or putting it back together. The only thing was that I was getting alot of contact due to the rubber cushion raising the pipe too high where the pipe goes down into the bumper. So I installed it without it and don't get any contact now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My installers removed the oem snorkel during install. hmm
it also as I climb over 5k it makes a flutter noise like when you get down to the bottom of a cup with a straw during full WOT.
I took my ram air snorkel off as well...Should I end up installing it again?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I took my ram air snorkel off as well...Should I end up installing it again?
I installed my intake with the ram air snorkel because I think it does blow cool air over the air filter. You can just install it back on to see which way you like it best. If you like it better with out it you can easily remove it again.

·
"Bloody Nora!"
104 Posts
I'm worried about getting the AEM CAI because where I live can get bloody cold in the winter. Anyone know if this could be an issue?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I plan to open up my fog light covers for more direct air, even without, it is not like the engine bay is sealed, it will still pull air just not as cool as with the fog light covers opened up.
I was thinking of doing the same thing. How did it work out?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I know that. I've been doing this for a while but I've also been around long enough to know when manufcaturers are covering up minimal or even negative gains (yes I know poor word choice) so they can market to the next platform...I'm not saying that's what is going on here but its really fishy.

I went to AEM's website and looked at their dyno for this intake and they only show a horsepower graph that IMO looks odd to begin with. Then I see this thread writeup of an install for it AND a dyno with an exhaust for a baseline, and the car LOSES ALMOST 30 FT LBS OF TORQUE. Something's up and I want to get to the bottom of it for everyone's sake so there won't be anymore threads on which intake r0x0rz the most b0x0rz and so we know which are a waste of money.

I'm having a hard time finding any dynos of Injen's intake performance but their claims involve more than hp gains, they involve torque gains as well...I can't cry foul on them and hope it's true, but so far the only proven intake in my eyes is CPE's, but even their intake may have issues in stop and go traffic on a summer day...
So, have you ever gotten to the bottom of the concerns as noted throughout this thread? Just curious - because the concerns are genuine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
installed mine today thanks for the writeup!

41 - 60 of 88 Posts