Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I know that the k&n typhoon does not. The heat shield is different. They sent me a 2012 one instead of a 2013 one and it didn't fit. Not positive on the others. I think it won't fit as they
Made some changes to the motor in 2013 to my understanding.

Do or do not. There is no try.

·
Registered
199 Posts
almost cut my finger in the middle.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
So you do or do not have to remove the bumper to clean the filter?...
You do not. But you should.

With the bumper on, it will take you a LONG time and it will be a pain in the ass.

With the bumper off (takes about 10 min) it will only take about 30 minutes to remove clean and replace.

·
Uber Member
255 Posts
You do not. But you should.

With the bumper on, it will take you a LONG time and it will be a pain in the ass.

With the bumper off (takes about 10 min) it will only take about 30 minutes to remove clean and replace.
You dont need to take it off. You do however need to loosen it so you can wriggle that sucker out of there. I take off my grille, headlight, and take out some of the screws in the fender lining. Then after turning the wheel to let me get my hand in there, I loosen the filter from the top (loosen the clamp holding it to the rubber elbow) and pull it out through the loosened lining in the wheel well. Its a tight fit and hard on your hands but doable in about 10-15 minutes

I only do this because pulling my bumper off scares the **** out of me. The first time I did it to do the install but the difference was I had a friend around to help me and it felt much safer that way as there seemed to be a lot of stress on it to pull off and I could balance the forces to pull it off evenly. Now when Im alone and just need to change the filter its easier to pull it through the wheel well. Hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2012 genesis (bought it new) and just now have to start getting my car smogged regularly. I live in CA and the K&N SRI I bought 5 years ago isn't CARB legal. This AEM intake is the only CARB legal intake out there for GC 2010-2012. Needless to say, I needed to swap out intakes for this one in order to pass smog (I don't have my OEM intake anymore).

I installed this intake today. Something I would like to mention in case anyone else is in my situation and needs to install this particular intake is that after removing the old washer bottle and installing the new one, the old bolts were not long enough to fit the new washer bottle. I had to go to the hardware store to buy 2 more bolts with washers/locks in order to install the new washer bottle. Luckily I had another car to take otherwise I would have had to take an Uber or something. Just FYI.

Otherwise, the install is very straightforward. If doing it by yourself I would set aside 4-5 hours just in case something happens like needing to run to the hardware store or not being able to get a particular bolt off for a while. In addition to this install write up, I would recommend watching this video on how to take off the front bumper, it was very helpful. Just be careful with the tabs when you go to pry it off, I broke off a few on accident on one side of my bumper. Don't use too much force -

81 - 88 of 88 Posts