Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, the seller did not pay me to make this, I just wanted to help everyone out. And also I couldn't attach more than 10 files so I've created a PDF with all the pics and instructions below, I hope it helps! If you can't find the attached file, I also have a link: AliExpress Screen Instructions

Here's the link to purchase it: (I bought the "octa 4g 64gb CarPlay")
282.2US $ 17% OFF|Android 10 Car Radio For Hyundai Rohens Genesis Coupe Dvd Multimedia Tape Recorder Audio Carplay Headunit Gps Navigation Stereo|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

Some features as well: plug and play, no need to splice any wires. Full touchscreen with wireless CarPlay and android auto. All AC controls work on the screen as a little popup. Steering wheel controls all work. There are breakouts on the back to connect a backup camera or subwoofers/RCA's for an amplifier. Full equalizer to change sound settings, and more.

Before:
Car Vehicle Satellite radio Radio Plant

After:
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say it’s the best OEM replacement, besides a brand name double din just because the wiring is plug and play. the Bluetooth is pretty good and it made the sound quality in my car even better because it has a EQ so i can adjust all the highs and lows. CarPlay is a little laggy just bc it’s obviously not the real deal, my phone thinks it’s the real CarPlay but its a Chinese version. The responsiveness on the other apps is super fast. I really like it, especially when u compare it to the cheap screen on the 2013 gens that had the touch issue (which was mine lol). It should work on a 2015 but u should message the seller to make sure. I know one guy had a 2015 and he had to wire something up different tho, he said this:

Light Black Font Screenshot Motor vehicle

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for those instructions! I wish I would have had access to that a few months ago when I installed mine 😅
I had the same RCA issues as the guy you were messaging. It seems like the issue comes from the factory headunit model. I have the non-gps version which is slightly different.
Have you figured out how to change the climate info from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

·
Registered
54 Posts
This has been what I have been looking for because I do not want to do a double din display, im just concerned about the response time and accuracy of the gps. Which model did you purchase?
Response time is great, no lag whatsoever. The GPS and Wifi however have been very spotty. GPS works okay about 70% of the time, with it failing or taking forever to update the other 30%. Wifi is terribly slow, even when my hotspot is right up against the antenna with full bars. Low bitrate music streaming is about as good as it gets for me. I'm looking into buying a better set of antennas and messing with the placement. At the moment they're directly behind the receiver so maybe that will work a bit better. Android auto only worked once for me (haven't tried CarPlay yet). But now, every time I plug it in it tries to connect but fails. Tried it with different phones and cables so I think the error is coming from the unit itself. I'm going to keep messing around with it to see if I messed anything up during the setup but for now I can't really say it's been worth the money.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for those instructions! I wish I would have had access to that a few months ago when I installed mine 😅
I had the same RCA issues as the guy you were messaging. It seems like the issue comes from the factory headunit model. I have the non-gps version which is slightly different.
Have you figured out how to change the climate info from Celsius to Fahrenheit?
Yea that one guy had the 2015 model so the radio looked a little different. It has the vertical button style, since they switched radios after 2013. No I have not figured it out, I’m going to message them right now and see if u can change it. And about the GPS and stuff, I only use CarPlay so I don’t even know how the other functions on the actual unit work lol. Have you tried connecting a OBD reader to the torque app? To see ur RPM and stuff

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yea that one guy had the 2015 model so the radio looked a little different. It has the vertical button style, since they switched radios after 2013. No I have not figured it out, I’m going to message them right now and see if u can change it. And about the GPS and stuff, I only use CarPlay so I don’t even know how the other functions on the actual unit work lol. Have you tried connecting a OBD reader to the torque app? To see ur RPM and stuff
There was another discussion about these a while back, the guy said to press auto + off for 4 seconds:
Aliexpress Headunit - Testing
I don't have an auto button on my climate control so that doesn't apply to me unfortunately.

Ah okay gotcha, that was my plan originally but android auto stopped working. I still need to test CarPlay to see if that will work. Haven't tried out torque yet but its on my to-do list. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work though.

Btw, are you using an external mic with yours? The mic that comes attached to the unit is terrible lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There was another discussion about these a while back, the guy said to press auto + off for 4 seconds:
Aliexpress Headunit - Testing
I don't have an auto button on my climate control so that doesn't apply to me unfortunately.

Ah okay gotcha, that was my plan originally but android auto stopped working. I still need to test CarPlay to see if that will work. Haven't tried out torque yet but its on my to-do list. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work though.

Btw, are you using an external mic with yours? The mic that comes attached to the unit is terrible lol
Yea for the torque app, idk how to connect my OBD reader to it. It says you have to pair it in the Bluetooth settings but there’s no where in settings to connect a device like an OBD reader. I’ll ask around to see if anyone else knows.
And thanks for the tip on the AC controls, I do have a auto button so I’ll try it out. Hopefully it works

and no I’m not using a external mic but I’ve been meaning to figure something out, I know the regular one is complete garbage, mine came with a mic but I just don’t want any wires sticking out

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yea for the torque app, idk how to connect my OBD reader to it. It says you have to pair it in the Bluetooth settings but there’s no where in settings to connect a device like an OBD reader. I’ll ask around to see if anyone else knows.
And thanks for the tip on the AC controls, I do have a auto button so I’ll try it out. Hopefully it works

and no I’m not using a external mic but I’ve been meaning to figure something out, I know the regular one is complete garbage, mine came with a mic but I just don’t want any wires sticking out
Ah I see, that's strange, I figure it would be the same as connecting the phone to it. Let us now how it goes as I am considering getting one of those too.

You can always run the wires through the A-pillar and put it somewhere above your head, that's what I plan on doing. Just need to get my hands on a mic lol

Oh and to reply to your question on the other post, I just set the volume knob on the oem unit as high as I wanted the max volume to be. Then I can use the volume buttons and view the volume levels on the new unit as intended. I am planning on using the breakout wires to send the audio instead of through aux though, so won't have to worry about the oem unit anymore

Reactions: KyleJ

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2013 model w/ touch issues ? wait a minute thats me ! so its not just me. 2013 track w/ GPS touchscreen
Nope you're not alone lol. All the gens with screens before 2014 had major issues with the quality and touch. When I bought my gen 2 years ago, I thought it was just defective. So I had the used car dealer order a brand new OEM one and install it, it was the same thing even after replacing it. You would touch the left side and the right side would click, calibration never fixed it, and u had to press really hard

Just add it to the list of things Hyundai should've made a recall about lol, lets go down the list

• leaking trunk - bad tail seals
  • the worst touchscreen ever in a car
  • Wastgate rattle
  • 2.0t ticking noise
  • Rear quarter window leaking

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nope you're not alone lol. All the gens with screens before 2014 had major issues with the quality and touch. When I bought my gen 2 years ago, I thought it was just defective. So I had the used car dealer order a brand new OEM one and install it, it was the same thing even after replacing it. You would touch the left side and the right side would click, calibration never fixed it, and u had to press really hard

Just add it to the list of things Hyundai should've made a recall about lol, lets go down the list

• leaking trunk - bad tail seals
  • the worst touchscreen ever in a car
  • Wastgate rattle
  • 2.0t ticking noise
  • Rear quarter window leaking
amen bro,good to get confirmation on such stuff . A dishonest dealer might say it is unusual.It was like that from brand new, but I was not wild about tearing it out as the problems that might arise to a new car. Sometimes you have to take it on chin. now, 9 years later maybe tear it out. I know that screen is a poked mo' fo' .You say replacement didn't fix it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
amen bro,good to get confirmation on such stuff . A dishonest dealer might say it is unusual.It was like that from brand new, but I was not wild about tearing it out as the problems that might arise to a new car. Sometimes you have to take it on chin. now, 9 years later maybe tear it out. I know that screen is a poked mo' fo' .You say replacement didn't fix it?
I'am with you on that frozen touch screen and my 2015 just crashed so I decided to try it on the 2013 first.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yea ALL the OEM touch screens will have a touch issue, sometimes calibrating it helps it out a little. But for me, I still had to press hard. its a really poor quality screen

if anyone who has touch issues wants a quick fix try this to recalibrate:
Recalibrating Hyundai Touch Screens

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you use Fakra adapters for your satellite and radio antenna? I used them on my 2011 and they work great. I ordered your radio today and plan to use them.
I actually mentioned that at the end of my instructions in the top post, I actually forgot to connect the OEM radio antenna from the stock radio and plug it into the new screen, I didn't know I had to but when the radio wasn't worked not the unit, i did some research and supposedly u can plug in that antenna wire on the stock radio right into the new unit and the radio should work. I haven't got the time to tear everything apart again, but it worked for other people. Look at like the 3rd to last page on my instructions In my post and I posted a diagram for that antenna wire. But to answer your question, u shouldn't need any fakra adapters.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I actually mentioned that at the end of my instructions in the top post, I actually forgot to connect the OEM radio antenna from the stock radio and plug it into the new screen, I didn't know I had to but when the radio wasn't worked not the unit, i did some research and supposedly u can plug in that antenna wire on the stock radio right into the new unit and the radio should work. I haven't got the time to tear everything apart again, but it worked for other people. Look at like the 3rd to last page on my instructions In my post and I posted a diagram for that antenna wire. But to answer your question, u shouldn't need any fakra adapters.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 37 Posts