Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Ok, well, I have been too lazy to actually make good covers for the vents. Someone mentioned buying magnetic sheets and cutting the covers from that. That's a great idea that I'll do next, but I needed some covers real quick since I had to drive through rain last week, so I just cut out some cardboard, wrapped the edges in tape, then hit them with dip. I used bailing wire to hold them in place. Very ghetto and super ugly, but they work! I finally got tired of my car being dirty, so I took it to the car wash and the covers worked just fine. I think the magnetic sheets would work just as well without needing to be held in place.

This is after the wash, so car wasn't even dry yet. I didn't even put them on right, so a tiny bit of water got in, but nothing worse than opening your hood after it rained.
I am working on a solution in CAD....... Gonna be a while until I get them actually made... But when they are done they are gonna be sick and I will be able to just hit the print button and they will be done ;) using subtractive 3d printing from actual raw materials like rubber, acrylic, delrin and all kind of crap... Just playing around with the different pcs. That would be needed to make them assembled or just one of. Solutions. Also can engrave WHATEVER u can think of..... Like the first set I was going to engrave "creeper"..... For that comment you made the other day lolz..... Anyway, whenever I get something done and test on my car, I will send u a set and u can keep them or trash them haha..... I am telling u, this is gonna be fun to play with and make custom stuff with.. Once I get the hang of it, I will start a "special request" thread ;)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Believe me I am like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for these machines to ship, ;)

Reactions: titan2782

·
Registered
112 Posts
@superchode any update on this vents? im interested... i was planning on cutting oem, but here (Memphis) sometimes rain out of the blue so having water in my engine is not something i want, but i dont find anything else to add on the design to keep water off and still keep engine cool. at first some ducting would work, but i think will defeat the purpose of the vents since duct will not be on nothing that needs to be cool down

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
@superchode any update on this vents? im interested... i was planning on cutting oem, but here (Memphis) sometimes rain out of the blue so having water in my engine is not something i want, but i dont find anything else to add on the design to keep water off and still keep engine cool. at first some ducting would work, but i think will defeat the purpose of the vents since duct will not be on nothing that needs to be cool down
1. The amount of water that gets in is minimal
2. Get a spare set of OEM vents that you can swap in when it rains
3. Build a pair of covers that you can put over the vents when it rains. I made mine from cardboard and wrapped in plumbers tape. Works great, looks ugly, but there are other options like magnetic material or just get a trash bag and some painters tape.
4. Light rain is not a problem. I've run through a heavy down pour and 3 car washes without my covers on and it was no big deal. I did have my engine cover on though, you should keep that on if you're worried about water.

You might also want to look at my Cowl seal removal thread in the DIY section if you're worried about heat and water.

·
Registered
112 Posts
1. The amount of water that gets in is minimal
2. Get a spare set of OEM vents that you can swap in when it rains
3. Build a pair of covers that you can put over the vents when it rains. I made mine from cardboard and wrapped in plumbers tape. Works great, looks ugly, but there are other options like magnetic material or just get a trash bag and some painters tape.
4. Light rain is not a problem. I've run through a heavy down pour and 3 car washes without my covers on and it was no big deal. I did have my engine cover on though, you should keep that on if you're worried about water.

You might also want to look at my Cowl seal removal thread in the DIY section if you're worried about heat and water.
Researching... 1101010010110010100101

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Reactions: ekuapa

·
Registered
11 Posts
fact this was too hard to do for hyundai blows my mind. Even on 2016s and numerous complaints about it they still dont do it =_= Feelsbadman

·
Registered
219 Posts
We just did ours this weekend. . Definitely a JOB, but honestly so worth it! It just changes the look completely.
I washed it yesterday and I won't say some water didn't get into thru the vents, but I don't think it'll be a huge issue.
I'm glad we did it for sure.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Maybe someone will make aftermarket ones with some sort of quick install plugs?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've been putting a towel under the good before I wash it. It keeps everything dry and I just remove them when I'm done. Washing it is when it'll get the most water. Rain shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
219 Posts
** Under the HOOD

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I think he means he hit the cardboard with dip. If you're interested in dipping, I have an idiots guide thread for that too :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I wash and detail my car every weekend. My engine bay is always clean as can be, because i clean it as well. I have had zero issues with water doing anything and its kind of cool to just see all that heat poor out the hood at a light instead of just heat soaking.... Plus it just looks evil ;) its been raining alot here lately too. No issues, its ok to get water on things lolz

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
is it really worth the dirty engine bay for a little cooling?
Well. If you've seen my recent pics, I have a carbon fiber hood with 6 open vents. And yes. The extra cooling is worth having a mildly more dirty engine bay.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
my question with all this is... since you got holes on your hood now and rain and dust goes in... engine bay is dirty most times huh?
is it really worth the dirty engine bay for a little cooling?
Yes, rain and dust can get in, but is it really as big an issue as people make it out to be? No. I live in the desert. The car gets filthy just sitting in my damn garage! But the engine bay is fine. The engine doesn't get any dirtier than it did with the fake vents. I've been through several car washes without the covers (i actually threw them away). When it's going to rain I either don't drive or I install the engine cover. I've driven through pissing rain with no issues. Not that big of a deal.

And yes, having done quite a bit of testing (please see all my heat related threads), it is worth it. Heat soak is not a problem even in 120* summer temps in stop and go fwy traffic.

The real question is not if they're worth it, but is it really worth doing this yourself? I say no. If you have the $130 then just buy them. I've told a few people it was a PITA and they all came back and told me I was right after they did it themselves.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I confirm its a PIA to cut them out lolz ;) but they look so much better, i actually just re did mine with black dip and clear satin dip over and looks killer. Better than stock, and better than my original paint job hehe.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts