Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track 8 Speed
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for those who thought (as i did) that the grounding kit sold online was just to get your money...you need to read on.
For several days my car (BK2 3.8) was down on power. I would give it gas only to have it fall on it's face. TC was off fully. Not only was it down on power but also increased oil temps. Way higher than I ever had since i owned this car.
Well, the battery died and left me stranded at the MVA for an hour.
Replaced the battery and the power was back immediately. And the oil temps are now functioning at normal temps.
I never though a battery would effect the power and the oil temps.
So the obvious question next is this...
Those whom purchased the grounding kit from vendors etc.. have you seen a difference? It seems feasible that this could be effective. I can also see where it's flawed in the science.
Let me know so others reading this can understand if that kit works.
If you are down on power, get the battery checked. It could be your answer.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Glad you fixed your problem and that it was somthing simple.
I've posted similar replies regarding checking or replacing the battery with a known good one to eliminate it as a possible source of problems.
Batteries are sneaky too, sometimes the car will crank and start fine but one bad cell throws everything out of wack like you described.

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track 8 Speed
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Have you tried the grounding kit?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I can't speak as to the grounding kit, but i removed my grounding cable and ground the paint off of the surface it was mated to for better connection. As an electrician, voltage loss is a real thing, and when its on a 12 volt system, even .5v can make a difference with relays,etc.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,608 Posts
More than likely the oil temp was off because the source voltage was off.

But I do improve the grounding on the cars I have, especially Asian ones that use the body for grounding. Add a ground from the battery to the block.

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track 8 Speed
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did that fender sanding mod too.
I never though it made any difference with adding extra
grounding until now. I thought that grounding kit was like the TB spacer. Doesn't do a damn thing but people do it anyways because they see others do it.
Do you have and pics of how you grounded to your block? Just to get an idea of where i should start.
Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate this info and all the other i get from you guys.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,608 Posts
My battery is in the trunk so the ground is cable to ground block on the body with #3 wire. Ground block to transmission with #3 cable. If the battery is in the OE place then just double up at the fender and go to the nearest bolt on the block removable. 2L has a nice on above the exhaust manifold, at the rear where there is a heat shield covering a connector.

The Main block to body cable is on the drivers side in the middle IIRC.

But I also will run smaller ground wires #14 to most of the the OE ground points and tie them all together.

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track 8 Speed
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you seen any diff afterwards for power, hesitation etc... As people claim?
Again i can see this helping, but not so sure as they advertise or claim.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Have you seen any diff afterwards for power, hesitation etc... As people claim?
Again i can see this helping, but not so sure as they advertise or claim.
I just installed the 3point8 performance Grounding Kit on my 2013 3.8 a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, I haven’t measured the difference in voltage compared to before I had the kit installed. Under normal driving conditions, it’s not very noticeable, but the biggest difference I noticed is when I go to accelerate or switch lanes to pass slow moving traffic, acceleration is more effortless now. It just picks up quicker and the power delivery is smoother. The difference is very subtle, but in my opinion, it’s definitely an upgrade over stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts