Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! I am the proud new owner of a KDM 2011 2.0L turbo Coupe. I have been a regular at track days here in Korea at Inje Speedium (circuit) running a cammed delta Tiburon. This past year I stopped attending and tuning the Tiburon in order to save money for a more modern car. I had been searching and waiting for the "right one" for over 6 months. I finally found an unmolested Coupe with only 75,000km and no accident repairs on the insurance record!

While I have been a keen observer of these cars and the scene here in Korea, I look forward to getting up to speed on everything that has developed with respect to this platform in the rest of the world. Thank you to those who have made this forum such a great resource for us latecomers!

Take care,
Matt

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Greetings! I am the proud new owner of a KDM 2011 2.0L turbo Coupe. I have been a regular at track days here in Korea at Inje Speedium (circuit) running a cammed delta Tiburon. This past year I stopped attending and tuning the Tiburon in order to save money for a more modern car. I had been searching and waiting for the "right one" for over 6 months. I finally found an unmolested Coupe with only 75,000km and no accident repairs on the insurance record!

While I have been a keen observer of these cars and the scene here in Korea, I look forward to getting up to speed on everything that has developed with respect to this platform in the rest of the world. Thank you to those who have made this forum such a great resource for us latecomers!

Take care,
Matt
Welcome to the forums

Unfortunately you're going to be pretty disappointed with development. The platform has been discontinued since 2016.
What you'll find are overpriced and/or "backordered parts" (Basically discontinued parts).

The chassis IMO is pretty good, but the stock 2.0 is under engineered compared to similar 2L engines.

What I want to do in the future is get another good BK1 chassis, strip it, put in a better engine, weld in an AWD drivetrain, and convert the front suspension to a double wishbone suspension with linear springs.
But I need decent TIG welder.... and time... lots of time.

After living in Korea over a decade ago, and visiting yearly recently, surprises me how people can justify owning a car when everybody can get around just fine in the air conditioned subway. For those that don't know Korea has a kind of yearly car tax, and that any kind of non-oem drivetrain modification is illegal there (last I checked, but that could have been just my cousin just saying that, instead of explaining the details. He owns a detailing, and aftermarket autobody shop in the countryside).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you say about Korea is certainly not far from the truth, especially if one lives in the greater Seoul metropolitan area or any other major city. The bus/train systems and their integration with each other are arguably among the top 3 in the world, and they continue to be expanded at a breathtaking pace.

Drivetrain modifications in Korea are permitted but must pass inspection and receive approval. The process is not easy but actually quite reasonable compared to other jurisdictions (like California for example).

As I mentioned, I have had a delta v6 Tiburon (for the past 8 years) which has allowed me to become quite familiar with the "non-existent parts scene" in both Korea and the USA.~^^

As for me, I live just outside a major city where the public bus does not come directly to. Having a car in this country allows me to explore its hidden beauty at my own pace and leisure, in addition to fulfilling my love of cars and modifying them.

Thank you for making the time to respond to this noob's welcome post. I have already witnessed your presence here on the forums and have enjoyed the insight that you have provided!

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,055 Posts
Howdy, K-noob!

Like AK said, the parts are costly and few, and their manufacturers for the most part make better and easier profits servicing other platforms. However there are some gems to be had and if you're willing to wait, this can be an awesome platform for the cost.

Welcome to the misfit fold!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts