Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read countless exhaust threads, and I just can't seem to figure out what I want to do, with this being the first mod on the genesis (Tune and RAM Intake to come next month) and also a fairly expensive one, I really want to get it right.

I love loud and deep. I dislike rasp quite a bit, however I understand that rasp is something that's difficult to escape. I have the 6-speed MT and spend most of my time at 55-80, and I want to limit drone as much as possible (For my SO).

My goal is a nice deep, yet fairly loud sound. Here's my intended setup:

• ARK H-Pipe
  • Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator (To replace stock mufflers)

I'm planning on replacing the stock mufflers with the Resonators to reduce drone, as-well as an H-Pipe instead of straight test pipes for the same reason. I've also considered SLP Loudmouth resonators, but the Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonators haven't seemed to disappoint on any setup I've seen videos of.

Are there any other measures I can take to reduce drone with this setup?

I'm aware that it's going to be there, and the best option to "reduce drone" is going to be a cat-back setup, but... Nah >:D

How do you guys think it will sound when it's done? I haven't seen any videos with the setup before, but if you have one similar let me know with an audio clip!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would interested to hear how it sounds, the vibrant resonator is nice. I’ll tell you about my experience with this exhaust system so far. I had done so much research searching for the perfect sound. I ended finding a system on YouTube that consisted of and x pipe, two middle resonators and two resonators at the end. Sounded perfect and mimicked most of the catback systems out there (seemed throaty though). Problem is, the video doesn’t particularly show drone. I thought i would try and imitate this without going dual, so i purchased 2 Jones turbine resonators (less baffling than the vibrant) and cut off the stock muffler, had a custom y pipe made and had both resonators at the end. So stock cats, stock resonators, and the two jones resonators. Sounded almost identical to a muffler delete. The jones resonators didn’t do much at all. So **** me at this point, I decided to replace the stock resonator with a magnaflow oval muffler. Sounds pretty good but still drones at 70, and still is unpleasant to me when i go through the gears slowly. 70 is the worst for this car btw, I’ve read that even the cnt drones at 70 which was always labeled to be a quiet exhaust for this car. I feel like going dual is probably better than sticking with the y but I can’t definitevely say that. With my experience and what your explaining, I’m thinking you’re going to have drone with that setup. I’ve found that unfortunately with the genesis, 0-3k RPM is just shitty and the rest is good. If you can figure out somthing that cuts out all the bullshit but leaves the amazing sounds from 3-6.5k, lmk haha.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would interested to hear how it sounds, the vibrant resonator is nice. I’ll tell you about my experience with this exhaust system so far. I had done so much research searching for the perfect sound. I ended finding a system on YouTube that consisted of and x pipe, two middle resonators and two resonators at the end. Sounded perfect and mimicked most of the catback systems out there (seemed throaty though). Problem is, the video doesn’t particularly show drone. I thought i would try and imitate this without going dual, so i purchased 2 Jones turbine resonators (less baffling than the vibrant) and cut off the stock muffler, had a custom y pipe made and had both resonators at the end. So stock cats, stock resonators, and the two jones resonators. Sounded almost identical to a muffler delete. The jones resonators didn’t do much at all. So **** me at this point, I decided to replace the stock resonator with a magnaflow oval muffler. Sounds pretty good but still drones at 70, and still is unpleasant to me when i go through the gears slowly. 70 is the worst for this car btw, I’ve read that even the cnt drones at 70 which was always labeled to be a quiet exhaust for this car. I feel like going dual is probably better than sticking with the y but I can’t definitevely say that. With my experience and what your explaining, I’m thinking you’re going to have drone with that setup. I’ve found that unfortunately with the genesis, 0-3k RPM is just shitty and the rest is good. If you can figure out somthing that cuts out all the bullshit but leaves the amazing sounds from 3-6.5k, lmk haha.
I've thought about just leaving the stock mufflers on as-well and replacing the secondary cats with SLP Loudmouth resonators. I'm obviously going to play around with the sound quite a bit over the next few months, but considering I have a SO that talks extremely quietly I'd like to keep drone to a minimum. However... I'm more after a good tone.

I'd rather have some drone with a great tone than no drone with a crappy one. I'm curious as to how the setup I mentioned in the OP would sound from the outside. I definitely want to eliminate the rasp.

There's a setup someone did with a Ferrari 456 muffler that was pretty neat and sounded nice. He had it custom fabricated and claims to have both an X and a H pipe. I've never heard of having both, so I'm a bit confused as to how this setup would work. The exhaust shop in town kinda just looked at me funny when I asked, as-well.

Here's a video of his exhaust though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im looking to buy this exhaust currently. Its a custom exhaust H pipe goes to x pipe where secondary cats were... true dual exhaust with ultra quiet resonators.

Im not too sure about how it has both H Pipe and X Pipe. Any thoughts? Can this hinder performance?

Attachments

·
migz0625
24 Posts
Such a sexy exhaust! Im just planning to get test pipes and the ISR dual performance exhaust and ill see how loud that would take me but DAMN is the stock exhaust still sounding sexy cuz V6 <3

·
Prototype User Title v0.9
164 Posts
Im looking to buy this exhaust currently. Its a custom exhaust H pipe goes to x pipe where secondary cats were... true dual exhaust with ultra quiet resonators.

Im not too sure about how it has both H Pipe and X Pipe. Any thoughts? Can this hinder performance?
I don't know about hindering, but I can't see it helping.

I'd be interested in knowing just how that person came up with that concept, but I'm pretty sure I have an idea. An H-pipe is used to balance streams between exhaust banks when you have a situation where bank exhaust velocity drops due to the firing order, but an X pipe is used to pick up velocity when energy in the exhaust stream drops below a certain point in the exhaust path. Yes, I'm aware that there is a whole bunch more to it, including a crapload of fluid dynamics math, but this is enough for the discussion.

A secondary consideration - and one that is probably at the top of the heap of goober logic in that project - is that some people like the H pipe sound (its described as "more muscular" on LS forums), and some people prefer the X sound (its described as "more european" on those same forums, something that just makes me cringe). You'll also hear "H for torque, X for horsepower" and a few variations of that song and dance. Whoever came up with that exhaust probably thought they'd use both methods and hit a home run in both sound and performance, but its just not right.

About all the H is going to net you on an engine with a proper firing order (cylinders under fire switch banks every time, as opposed to something like the old Chevy small block, which... well, look it up, because it makes no sense) is the elimination of that farting and popping that comes from running true duals. After that, you do some tuning to get rid of the ridiculous crackling noises on your downshifts (deceleration fuel cutoff, if you must know) and you're golden, but thats another topic.

I think you should stay away from that kludgey pos exhaust and have something made for your car. In fact, I'd really like to see someone do the math on this thing (and that math needs to include a proper intake manifold and CAI) and see exactly what the right exhaust would be, from the heads back to the bumper. But I know the thing in that picture ain't it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know about hindering, but I can't see it helping.

I'd be interested in knowing just how that person came up with that concept, but I'm pretty sure I have an idea. An H-pipe is used to balance streams between exhaust banks when you have a situation where bank exhaust velocity drops due to the firing order, but an X pipe is used to pick up velocity when energy in the exhaust stream drops below a certain point in the exhaust path. Yes, I'm aware that there is a whole bunch more to it, including a crapload of fluid dynamics math, but this is enough for the discussion.

A secondary consideration - and one that is probably at the top of the heap of goober logic in that project - is that some people like the H pipe sound (its described as "more muscular" on LS forums), and some people prefer the X sound (its described as "more european" on those same forums, something that just makes me cringe). You'll also hear "H for torque, X for horsepower" and a few variations of that song and dance. Whoever came up with that exhaust probably thought they'd use both methods and hit a home run in both sound and performance, but its just not right.

About all the H is going to net you on an engine with a proper firing order (cylinders under fire switch banks every time, as opposed to something like the old Chevy small block, which... well, look it up, because it makes no sense) is the elimination of that farting and popping that comes from running true duals. After that, you do some tuning to get rid of the ridiculous crackling noises on your downshifts (deceleration fuel cutoff, if you must know) and you're golden, but thats another topic.

I think you should stay away from that kludgey pos exhaust and have something made for your car. In fact, I'd really like to see someone do the math on this thing (and that math needs to include a proper intake manifold and CAI) and see exactly what the right exhaust would be, from the heads back to the bumper. But I know the thing in that picture ain't it.
I asked him regarding this (the previous owner) and he said he built it like this to imitate the ARK exhaust for the genesis which seems to have an h pipe at the beginning and then goes into x pipe (http://www.gencoupe.com/3-8-v6-disc...installing-ark-grip-3-8-a.html#/topics/383321)...
Im getting a price of $750 CAD you think its worth it? Would it at least provide more airflow than the stock? As for sound it sounds pretty good from a video. He has ultra quiet resonators and apparently no drone.

·
Prototype User Title v0.9
164 Posts
I asked him regarding this (the previous owner) and he said he built it like this to imitate the ARK exhaust for the genesis which seems to have an h pipe at the beginning and then goes into x pipe (http://www.gencoupe.com/3-8-v6-disc...installing-ark-grip-3-8-a.html#/topics/383321)...
Im getting a price of $750 CAD you think its worth it? Would it at least provide more airflow than the stock? As for sound it sounds pretty good from a video. He has ultra quiet resonators and apparently no drone.

Yes it would provide more flow than stock, but for $750 I think you could do better. Don't be too reliant on videos for sound. I've heard at least one type of car where multiple exhaust swaps sound identical or at least very close to each other on video, but in person there is a lot more going on. Camcorders and phones don't have the right mics for this kind of stuff. I've heard exactly one exhaust video in 15 years where the sound was done correctly, and it was a rather more complex procedure than simply hitting record on a phone.

·
Registered
404 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts