Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAR:
Genesis Coupe 3.8 A/T Track w/ Navi (Push Button Start)

Performance MODS:
Grimmspeed P&P and Ceramic Coat
K&N air filter w/ charcoal filter removed
RRM Crank Pulley
System Upgrade Water-pump and Alternator Pulley

Duration of ECU Reflash:
7 Days (since July 10, 2010)

To start off. Jay at SFR is one cool guy. I wasn’t able to make it on a week day but still wanted the Intro Pricing (deadline July 11, 2010), so I talked to Jay @ SFR about it and he was more than willing to accommodate me for a Saturday visit (July 10, 2010 about 100mile drive). First impression of Jay is that he is a genuine guy. You can tell his top priority is customer satisfaction. Before my ECU was reflashed he tried testing the reflash out with another ECU on my car. Unfortunately it didn’t work. The push button start is a real biatch. The reflash process takes about 5 mins but the visit took about an hour. Before permanantly re-flashing the ECU (meaning reflash and sealing up the ECU for good) Jay suggested taking a test drive to make sure all of the fucntions of the car still worked correctly (i.e. cruise contrl, manual mode, paddle shifters, trip calculator, etc). I have to say at first I didn’t feel a difference. It was raining soo much that day that I could not really get a feel for the re-flash except for the fact that I was spinning my tires left and right (TCS OFF of course). But I was doing this on my way up to the SFR shop with base factory ECU (TCS OFF of couse). At that point I asked Jay if there was anyway to verify the re-flash. We both got in the car sped up to around 10mph popped it in Neutral and revved the engine all the way to 7200rpm. The car made music to me ears. Jay assured me that if I had any problems that I had 3months to get a full refund. My old ECU data would be saved in the SFR database just in case. When all was said and done, (handshakes and farewells) I almost left without paying SFR for the reflash. I had to actually stop to let Jay know that I still had not paid for the reflash. Which tells me that Jay cares more about customers satisfaction then about money.

SFR Reflash in Dry Weather:
The next day was sunny,beautiful and dry. I really cant add much more to what noob123 wrote. The car feels amazing. Throttle response is phenomenal. I have a hard time not chirping the tires off the line. When I do chirp the tires and follow through with ample throttle input, the car acceleration is so swift. I can definitely notice that there is an increase in HP and TQ. Although that is with my Butt Dyno.

If you want to see a real dyno with load go to link below.
http://www.gencoupe.com/media/40492-sfr-sfr-3-8-v6-reflash-video.html

Aside from the increase in HP, TQ, throttle response, RPM limit (7200) and Max Speed (limit removed. All of the rest of the car functions work 100%. The power delivery is very linear and predictable. And the way SFR re-seals the ECU is a work of art. Dealership would never tell that the ECU was tampered with. SFR reps had to actually get trained on the process of re-sealing the ECU. The training definitely paid off. Jay even conducted a OBDII scan just to show everything checked out OK. Which is probably what the dealership would do as well. Again dealership would never notice through OBDII scan since everything checks out.

I am 100% satified with the reflash. At a cost of only $350 this was definitely the most bang for my buck mod I did so far. I kind of feel like I ripped off SFR. But even at $600, with the info and experience I have know, I still think it is well worth it, especially over and exhaust or intake or even combination setup. I’ve modded cars (mazda3) in the past with exhausts, intakes, headers, intake manifold, etc. But this single mod makes my butt dyno smile more than the others (not combined, combination of exhaust, intake, headers and intake manifold was amazing but cost me thousands). From my experience with my mazda3 I’ve learned that exhausts and intakes alone are not that much of an increase. Just increase in noise. I’m trying not to do that with this car.

I can’t wait until the performance cams are out. With my experience with the reflash, I’m confident that SFR’s performance cams are going to be awesome.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good write up. I have had pretty much the exact same thoughts since getting mine done about 2 weeks ago. Nothing but the butt dyno but you can definitely feel a difference. Again, especially in throttle response which for the automatic was a big deal for me. Yours was sealed like the factory with the black sealant melted back together?

·
「まんがをえ&#
2,483 Posts
123noob btw not noob123 :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry about that 123noob. Actually your right up/review of the SFR re-flash gave me the green light for me to get my ECU re-flashed, since I was concerned about the push-button start.

PhatGen10: "Yours was sealed like the factory with the black sealant melted back together?"

I'm not exactly sure if they melted it to re-seal the ECU. I noticed they used some kind of sealant out of a tube. Whatever is was, the end result was excellent. Looked just like new.

·
「まんがをえ&#
2,483 Posts
It was silicon if I remember correctly.

I'm glad that my review helped make your decision :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
does the timing and fuel control RRM worthless with this reflash cause i just bought them before i do the reflash ??

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't think the timing and fuel controller from RRM are completely worthless. Their problem is that they -require- the need to be dyno-tuned which kind of ruins their benefit of being so easy to install. I just hope the SFR reflash is more then a throttle response fix and rev limit. The NSPP changed throttle response for me as well. However, I didn't like the fact that it wasn't making claimed HP/TQ gains.

·
Registered
235 Posts
:dunno:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I don't think the timing and fuel controller from RRM are completely worthless. Their problem is that they -require- the need to be dyno-tuned which kind of ruins their benefit of being so easy to install. I just hope the SFR reflash is more then a throttle response fix and rev limit. The NSPP changed throttle response for me as well. However, I didn't like the fact that it wasn't making claimed HP/TQ gains.
i have 3 people including myself that have performed 'dyno tuning' of the nspp with little to no gains. Fuel controller didn't specifically have a utune solution and i'm not sure if the same software would work for it.

Like many of the nspp threads have stated, the unit only changes what load the ecu thinks its under thats all vs what its actually under (far from a accurate science). partial tuning and modifying throttle response is almost impossible to tune without a load generating dyno with just a simple MAP/MAF piggy back solution.

In short, the nspp+fuel con is useless when compared to ANY flash solution.
if you bought one go ahead and use it, but when u get a flash might as well put them back on ebay. :cool:

·
Registered
596 Posts
i have 3 people including myself that have performed 'dyno tuning' of the nspp with little to no gains. Fuel controller didn't specifically have a utune solution and i'm not sure if the same software would work for it.

Like many of the nspp threads have stated, the unit only changes what load the ecu thinks its under thats all vs what its actually under (far from a accurate science). partial tuning and modifying throttle response is almost impossible to tune without a load generating dyno with just a simple MAP/MAF piggy back solution.

In short, the nspp+fuel con is useless when compared to ANY flash solution.
if you bought one go ahead and use it, but when u get a flash might as well put them back on ebay. :cool:
I allready sold mine.

And we've yet to see independent dyno's for this reflash. So I wouldn't go out saying anything yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was actually a nspp & fuel controller victim myself. I still have the units in my closet. I can't get myself to selling them since I know I'm going to be ripping someone off.

I could try to hook them up with my SFR reflash but I'm gonna get Jay's opinion on this first prior to conducting the experiment. I'm not sure if the two units with the SFR reflash will cause the car to run too lean or maybe worse.

·
stock car modified driver
5,645 Posts
I was actually a nspp & fuel controller victim myself. I still have the units in my closet. I can't get myself to selling them since I know I'm going to be ripping someone off.

I could try to hook them up with my SFR reflash but I'm gonna get Jay's opinion on this first prior to conducting the experiment. I'm not sure if the two units with the SFR reflash will cause the car to run too lean or maybe worse.
pm sent...wait a second you only have 3 posts? don't know if you can reply just yet :(

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
does the timing and fuel control RRM worthless with this reflash cause i just bought them before i do the reflash ??

The boxes are worthless with or without the reflash. You definitely should NOT run them together.

Yet ANOTHER reason the mods should sticky some of the RRM NSPP threads. More and more people keep asking about and buying those POS boxes. That is unless the mods and admin enjoy seeing new members waste their money....

·
「まんがをえ&#
2,483 Posts
I think RRM are sponsored vendor here right? Anyways, I think it's more buyer's responsibility to do research b4 buying anything like this. I was originally getting NSPP but after doing quick search I found a bunch of negative feedbacks, thus I never bother with it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i'll open another thread because this 1 gone away from it topic

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pm sent...wait a second you only have 3 posts? don't know if you can reply just yet :(
Unfortunately you are correct. I tried sending you a reply to your pm. Is there a email address that I can contact you at? Send me a PM and I'll reply back to your email.

Post #4, 6 more to go before I can send pm's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts