Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you guys use a radar detector and if you guys have a good secretive place to mount it, thanks :D

· ///H Power
866 Posts
I've only seen laser guns used by local cops (including OPP). Most of the time they catch you speeding from behind. So I'm pretty sure the front mount radar detectors are obsolete unless you have something like a V1.

· Registered
5,209 Posts
I don't recommend radar detectors.

I had one in my Sonata I think it was. I ended up braking hard after catching their laser, and got pulled over anyway. I denied having a radar detector and they tore apart the whole car looking for it.

While driving you don't have to hide it, heck for all they know, the reason you have a mount is for your GPS unit.

If you do get pulled over...you have to love how easy it is to access the shifter linkage in Hyundai's if you know what I mean...that's where I hid it when the OPP searched the Sonata, just as easy to hide in the Genesis Coupe.

· Registered
680 Posts
Shifter Linkage? Please go on hahaha... I was planning on getting a V1 when I move back home (for highway driving... Using it on city streets is bait)

· I drive a V6
4,975 Posts
bad idea.

They have detectors to detect your detector lol. (all work on the same principles)

Not worth the fine...and the fact they destroy the detector on the spot most of the time

· Registered
1,573 Posts
OK here is the scoop. I use one and has saved me many many times.. twice last weekend. I have it placed in an excellent place and can't really be seen. When it goes off, do not hit your breaks. For example what cops do and I know from talking to them.. They travel the highways... look for a pack of nice cars speeding.. then they pull behind not being noticed. Then they hit the radar.. the cars that hit the breaks they pull over and ask for your radar.

So here is a trick.. when you get a new radar detector, keep your old one. Sometimes the cop will say, I either write you a fine for $$$$ or you can step on your radar detector or you have to give it to them. So I have my old one on hand just in case.

Also, and I speak from personal experience, keep a watch in your rear view mirror..they sometimes simply clock you (no radar required). They simply match your speed and write you a ticket for it.

You need to be smart if you have one... and if you are it will save your butt!!! For the record I do not speed on busy highways.. I use it for those beautiful open roads when you want to crank it up a bit... and avoid the 15 or 20 over.

· Registered
1,573 Posts

· Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK here is the scoop. I use one and has saved me many many times.. twice last weekend. I have it placed in an excellent place and can't really be seen. When it goes off, do not hit your breaks. For example what cops do and I know from talking to them.. They travel the highways... look for a pack of nice cars speeding.. then they pull behind not being noticed. Then they hit the radar.. the cars that hit the breaks they pull over and ask for your radar.

So here is a trick.. when you get a new radar detector, keep your old one. Sometimes the cop will say, I either write you a fine for $$$$ or you can step on your radar detector or you have to give it to them. So I have my old one on hand just in case.

Also, and I speak from personal experience, keep a watch in your rear view mirror..they sometimes simply clock you (no radar required). They simply match your speed and write you a ticket for it.

You need to be smart if you have one... and if you are it will save your butt!!! For the record I do not speed on busy highways.. I use it for those beautiful open roads when you want to crank it up a bit... and avoid the 15 or 20 over.
where is this excellent place that cant be seen ;)

· Registered
338 Posts
Nuts to the radar detector. Just unbutton your shirt show the officer some chest hair and ask if he likes what he sees. Best case scenario the situation gets awkward and he lets you go with a warning. Worst case scenario you're telling the officer you've got a raging case of herpes over drinks at a bar.

· Registered
126 Posts

Or just get a Spectre immune radar detector. But it does nothing for the Laser-based devices now being used.

For more info about Spectre please read Spectre RDD Radar Detector Review and Testing - RadarBusters.com which is slightly outdated as there are a few more models after the STI Driver that are also Spectre-immune.

· ///H Power
866 Posts
Nuts to the radar detector. Just unbutton your shirt show the officer some chest hair and ask if he likes what he sees. Best case scenario the situation gets awkward and he lets you go with a warning. Worst case scenario you're telling the officer you've got a raging case of herpes over drinks at a bar.
HAHA LOL i had a good laugh on that one :rofl::rofl::rofl:

· Registered
762 Posts
Everything
Wrong, in Canada (yes there is more to Canada than Ontario and Quebec) there are provences where you CAN use Radar Detectors. Alberta for sure. I NEVER hide mine unless Im out of the car to prevent theft. I have been pulled over in Manatoba where they are illegal, and have BSed my way outa ticket and confiscation. They do have it posted that detectors are illeagle, I told the officer that I missed the sign, and besides I live in Alberta where they are leagle, and it is permanent wired and unless they would pay for the un instal and re install I wasnt goiung to remove it. I also mentioned that I was willing to come back to Manitoba to fight the ticket in court and charge the RCMP with illeagle confiscation and search n seasure.

Did \i get luck? Probably, but there again the whole point was that there are places in Canada that Detectors are leagle.

· Registered
341 Posts
Wrong, in Canada (yes there is more to Canada than Ontario and Quebec) there are provences where you CAN use Radar Detectors. Alberta for sure. I NEVER hide mine unless Im out of the car to prevent theft. I have been pulled over in Manatoba where they are illegal, and have BSed my way outa ticket and confiscation. They do have it posted that detectors are illeagle, I told the officer that I missed the sign, and besides I live in Alberta where they are leagle, and it is permanent wired and unless they would pay for the un instal and re install I wasnt goiung to remove it. I also mentioned that I was willing to come back to Manitoba to fight the ticket in court and charge the RCMP with illeagle confiscation and search n seasure.

Did i get luck? Probably, but there again the whole point was that there are places in Canada that Detectors are leagle.
its not search and seizure if its in plain sight and by your description sounds that way... to get away from that and the cell phone laws, if you get pulled over, put it on your body... they can ask you to search you but you say no unless they have a warrant... so if you get pulled over say for a cell phone, put it in your pocket or ladies in your purse, and they cannot search

· Rob
165 Posts
I got caught on fwd facing radar the other day which was a surprise to me. Clocked me at 115kph in an 80, as he was coming towards me. He spun round lights on and came after me.

I apologised, said I was being silly and he let me off! Yay coppers!

:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.