Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
It was a pain and took a little longer but I didn't want to drop the DS, it is a tight fit but all I had to remove was the downpipe , and the heat shield above it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
1stgengen
4,533 Posts
Driveshaft is easy to drop.

Step 1: Put car on stands without killing yourself. Hint, put car in gear to keep it the shaft from rotating! Just don't use an impact gun on the bolts if you have it in gear, just because. I'm sure the transmission has seen worse, I just err on the side of caution.

Step 2: Find the three bolts that connect the prop shaft to the rubber flex coupling (Note that there are 6 bolts per coupling. You really only need to remove three, but some may be stiffer than others. If you find it easier to remove all 6, go for it). There are two flex couplings. One between the 1st half of the prop shaft and the transmission output, and one between the 2nd half of the prop shaft and the differential input. Using the correct size tools (socket and wrench will do), disconnect the output shaft from the transmission output. Don't let it fall on your head or it will hurt.

Step 3 (note): It is a good idea to mark the bolts to ensure you place them back in the same positions that they were removed from. Not sure how important this actually is, but it might keep you from having any strange vibrations after reinstalling. Just in case it throws the balance off.

Step 4: You could probably get your bushings in at this point now that the 1st prop shaft section is down. Move it out of the way and do what you must. If you need more room or the whole assembly removed, continue.

Step 5: Unbolt the center section of the prop shaft. This is a center bearing unit that connects the two prop shafts together. Carefully lower and place on a box or crate.

Step 6: Just like the transmission output, remove the bolts connecting to the differential input. Pull and remove the whole prop shaft assembly. Note, it doesn't really matter if you remove the flex couplings with the propshaft or leave them attached to the output/input shafts. Just be diligent and ensure that you put the bolts and couplings back the way you removed them, again to avoid any possible balance issue. Don't drop the drop shaft or damage it.

Now I've done this a few times. And I've done it laying on my back with basically no room to move in -15 Celsius weather lol, so I have confidence in you. This is probably one of the easier things to do on the car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Step 1: Put car on stands without killing yourself. Hint, put car in gear to keep it the shaft from rotating! Just don't use an impact gun on the bolts if you have it in gear, just because. I'm sure the transmission has seen worse, I just err on the side of caution.

Step 2: Find the three bolts that connect the prop shaft to the rubber flex coupling (Note that there are 6 bolts per coupling. You really only need to remove three, but some may be stiffer than others. If you find it easier to remove all 6, go for it). There are two flex couplings. One between the 1st half of the prop shaft and the transmission output, and one between the 2nd half of the prop shaft and the differential input. Using the correct size tools (socket and wrench will do), disconnect the output shaft from the transmission output. Don't let it fall on your head or it will hurt.

Step 3 (note): It is a good idea to mark the bolts to ensure you place them back in the same positions that they were removed from. Not sure how important this actually is, but it might keep you from having any strange vibrations after reinstalling. Just in case it throws the balance off.

Step 4: You could probably get your bushings in at this point now that the 1st prop shaft section is down. Move it out of the way and do what you must. If you need more room or the whole assembly removed, continue.

Step 5: Unbolt the center section of the prop shaft. This is a center bearing unit that connects the two prop shafts together. Carefully lower and place on a box or crate.

Step 6: Just like the transmission output, remove the bolts connecting to the differential input. Pull and remove the whole prop shaft assembly. Note, it doesn't really matter if you remove the flex couplings with the propshaft or leave them attached to the output/input shafts. Just be diligent and ensure that you put the bolts and couplings back the way you removed them, again to avoid any possible balance issue. Don't drop the drop shaft or damage it.

Now I've done this a few times. And I've done it laying on my back with basically no room to move in -15 Celsius weather lol, so I have confidence in you. This is probably one of the easier things to do on the car.
Niccccce thanks a lot. speaking of killing myself. I need to find a better spot for my Jack stands cause my pinch welds are essentially gone. Thinking about using the front pinch welds and the control arm for the back. We'll see.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
1stgengen
4,533 Posts
Don't hurt yourself. You can use the cross member that supports the differential as well as the spots where the sub frame mounts to the body with the big bolts and bushings. Avoid suspension parts as they slip easy. You shouldn't be destroying your pinch welds like that either. Use some wood blocks or something that has some give to spread the weight. You can use the front frame rail to lift but the rear doesn't have that advantage. Good luck and always check twice.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks for the step by step. I've removed rhe bolts from the transmission to the driveshaft coupling, the driveshaft won't move back and release Any tips?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,882 Posts
It should be moving back from the trans. The rear needed the carrier bearing dropped for me to get it off when I swapped the gubios.

Be sure to mark and put the gubios on in the same orientation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts