Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
tadam!
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of people will be taking out car of storage pretty soon....

its my first car in storage for winter

any things i should do like let it run for X min or something

i fulled the tank and disconnected the battery before storage

thanks!

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
I'm about to do the same thing with mine in the next few weeks :)

Last winter was seamless and easy as it was in an insulated garage.

But this time around she was stored in a big shed. I'll be bringing a battery booster (or cables) just in case the battery doesn't have enough juice. (it was disconnected as well)

I would start her up, run until the car is up to temperature and just drive :)

After you've put her back on the road, have an oil change done and have your mechanic (or whoever) just inspect for any damaged wires and such from mice (just in case).

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I had a car stored for a little while it is recommended that you start it up once ever two weeks or so to get everything lubed up like the head gasket and what not. did you do that?

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
^

Not necessary to start a car... It's all in personal opinion.

I haven't seen my car since the end of October. Nor have I started it. Makes no sense to warm up a car that is exposed to the -30 celcius temps and surrounded by fields (ie: MICE!!!), only to shut it off and entice mice to move in.

IMO, it will create moisture that will freeze in some cases.

Not necessary.

·
tadam!
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the car is stored in a heated garage

i didnt start it during winter avoid condensation

·
The OG
7,957 Posts
Just get an oil change asap.

I had a car stored for a little while it is recommended that you start it up once ever two weeks or so to get everything lubed up like the head gasket and what not. did you do that?
Unless you're going to actually drive the car around a bit, and not just let it sit and idle... this something you should NOT do.

·
tadam!
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the thing is that my mechanic adviced me to do an oil change before storing the carso that the old oil doenst stay in there all winter

changed the oil right before storage... should i really do one again?

i think i might be tempted to do a quick test run of my new wheels before march 15th, could it be a problem riding the car and let it sit again in the heated garage for two weeks

·
Use the F'n Search Button
4,280 Posts
If you just got an oil change before you put it in storage, you don't need an oil change right away, although you should change it sooner than you normally would, mileage wise.

Charge up the battery if it needs it. I can easily start my car after it being idle for 3 months though, and I let the alternator charge it while I drive it.

Fill up the air in the tires.

Gas should be fine if it's only 3-4 months old.

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
Unless you're going to actually drive the car around a bit, and not just let it sit and idle... this something you should NOT do.
+1, you are just going to get moisture in the oil, if you don't let the oil get up to temp for a few mins (so it can evaporate)IMO you are doing more harm than good. You will still get some moisture in most likely, but that is why you are changing it before starting it up. But I mean running it for 5 mins with the oil/water mix isn't the best idea and the short idle will probably create more moisture than just leaving it.

If it is warm enough or you have a heater blanket, I would attempt to pull the injectors and coil plugs and crank it over for 5-10 secs 3-5 times like a new engine to prime all the parts with oil that might have drained over that time. Though one of the benifits of synthetics is it clings better then conventional oil, so this might not be needed. Though if the oil is freezing cold, this probably won't help much. It might not be necessary either, but since it isn't that difficult or time consuming, it is something I would consider.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i stored my camaro for 18 months (2 winters) once.

had to get a new battery, started it up, smoked like crazy, let it run for about 20 minutes before driving, drove slow and easy for a couple miles, changed the oil the next day. everything was fine after that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just connect your battery, start it and go.:) If you're real picky, remove the injector fuse, crank it a couple of time,(5 sec max each time) reinstall the fuse, start the engine and have fun.

Also, check the air pressure in your tire.

That's what i'm doing with mine. stored in a heated garage too.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,297 Posts
^^^^^

Completely untrue. I'll disconnect mine when it gets parked. If you don't you will run the battery down so what's the difference? Who wants to keep worrying about the ting being charged up? The battery if fully charged should make it through the winter without problems being disconnected.

·
track days are my passion
324 Posts
well when i went overseas my car was stored for 8 months and i didnt do anything to it, except changing the oil a week before, also when i went to pick up the car i got in and she started right away no smoke no nothing.
cars now a days are much better build than cars a few years back

1 - 14 of 14 Posts