Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I <3 my GC. A lot. So much that I've driven her more carefully than any 300+ bhp RWD coupe should be driven. I've never done a hard launch, I rarely open up the engine past 4k rpm, I've been quite gentle on the brakes, and I've even noticed that I'm less inclined to speed than in any of my previous cars (which would all qualify for "beater" status).

All in all, owning a nice sports coupe has made me a more conservative driver! :dunno:

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
So, I <3 my GC. A lot. So much that I've driven her more carefully than any 300+ bhp RWD coupe should be driven. I've never done a hard launch, I rarely open up the engine past 4k rpm, I've been quite gentle on the brakes, and I've even noticed that I'm less inclined to speed than in any of my previous cars (which would all qualify for "beater" status).

All in all, owning a nice sports coupe has made me a more conservative driver! :dunno:
Hopefully you will retain that attitude, but I imagine after the newness wears off & she aquires a few miles on her, you will be a little more aggressive.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts

Completely the opposite for me, I drove my previous (boring) cars way gentler than this one...:D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yep that's how it started with me too. Then I opened my eyes and realized I owned a 300+ bhp RWD coupe.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm with you. I am LESS inclined to race folks that I was before.

I kinda feel like. "go ahead and pass me Mr. Station Wagon, I've got nothing to prove with this awesome car." :p

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
I'm with you. I am LESS inclined to race folks that I was before.

I kinda feel like. "go ahead and pass me Mr. Station Wagon, I've got nothing to prove with this awesome car." :p
Now, I will admit that I'm less inclined to race or show my ass in this car due to the obvious visibility to cops (new red sports car) compared to my last car (black BMW 540i). This car screams boy racer & the last car was more attorney transport.....LoL

I will drive with even more restraint when my car goes back together & hits the road, because of the much more aggressive styling (hood, wheels etc), louder intake, louder exhaust & sponsor decals. I imagine cops will be watching her pretty hard from here on out.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I find that having a MPG meter in the car made me try to drive conservatively. I finally said fuk it though and switched it to another setting where i cant see my MPG and now I'm having more fun! I cant see how much gas I'm really wasting now, and i like it that way!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I find that having a MPG meter in the car made me try to drive conservatively. I finally said fuk it though and switched it to another setting where i cant see my MPG and now I'm having more fun! I cant see how much gas I'm really wasting now, and i like it that way!
Did you switch it by the gauges or by the time/torque/instant mpg readout?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It was gentle for about the first 500-600 miles. But after that, many of my commutes are spirited sprints where open road allows. On ramp retaining walls echo the exhaust. Twists and tight turns are a joy.

I keep the MPG gallon gauge on, as it keeps me honest. Everything in moderation right? I would say on average, per tank, I get about 20-21 mpg, with a 20 minute commute with varying traffic, and probably what is considered mostly city.

Passing others, racing... those are all well and good for some, as is driving it gingerly and protecting your purchase...

I just enjoy hearing and feeling the car. I am constantly eager to get behind the wheel...so no... no irony here

·
Work in Progress
6,496 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YARLY!

I got the meter up to around 28 mpg once doing a short highway drive right after filling up, and over the next few days I tried to see how little I could make it drop. But now I leave it off too :D

Now, I will admit that I'm less inclined to race or show my ass in this car due to the obvious visibility to cops
Yeah, I've noticed this too. All my previous cars may as well have had cop stealth, lol.

·
fragmuffin
595 Posts
Nope, I used to beat the hell out my Subaru. It spent a good amount of time north of 4,000 RPMs while being thrown around the most twisty route I knew to work.

Now that I own a cheap-ass car with half the power, I never seem to drive north of 4k. There's just no point, the car doesn't have any power up there.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Have no clue, besides blind luck, why I'm not in jail yet.
I've been driving ridiculous! Got my 1st ticket in 6years )c':

I've finally settled back into my normal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I drove my ford focus like i stole it.......i drive this car more tame, but im not afraid to open er' up if need be!! give er

although going through a set of tires in 9 months isn't financially smart i will say

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
I used to be like that...now I'm pretty aggressive and beat the living $#!^ out of it. In the end, it's JUST a car and they meant to be used.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Just FYI the car doesn't have 300 Brake/ Wheel horsepower (which is what bhp means). It's 300 + at the crank but it's a bit less then that at the wheels.

That being said I drove the same way with my car when I first had it, but now after getting the hang of it I drive it more aggressively.
your wrong.

bhp = brake horspower. which is the power the enigine makes BEFORE the tranny, pulleys, etc.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts