Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm driving a 2015 GTI with DSG and while this is an extremely capable car, I'm ready for something more exciting. So I'm going to trade my GTI in for an affordable rwd sports coupe. I don't know of a better value than the gen coupe, so currently it's at the top of my list. Problem is, there are not any first gen 3.8s, which is the model I want, in my area for me to test drive. They're all about 2 - 3 hours away from me.

So before making that trip, I'd like to hear what you guys think about the two so I can get a better idea of whether or not this car is really for me. Is there anyone here who has driven both and can compare them? I know they're entirely different but, I'm really just looking for a car that can provide more feel/feedback, more communicative, than the GTI and also be fun to track and autocross. So that aspect should be comparable between the two.

Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
My GF has a MK7 GTI that I drive all the time. Performance wise my car shits all over it in every way, but her's is bone stock. But as far as comfort I'll drive her car over mine any day. Her GTI is loaded with every single option so its super comfy and has every amenity, while I have an Rspec. They basically don't compare at all and are built for 2 completely different things.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My GF has a MK7 GTI that I drive all the time. Performance wise my car shits all over it in every way, but her's is bone stock. But as far as comfort I'll drive her car over mine any day. Her GTI is loaded with every single option so its super comfy and has every amenity, while I have an Rspec. They basically don't compare at all and are built for 2 completely different things.
That's the difference. Start modifying the GTI and there's, IMO, no comparison. Their aftermarket puts ours to shame and with simple mods they become quite fast. But, then you're stuck driving a somewhat boring FWD car, which I'll never go back to.

FWIW, I had both a MK4 GTI 1.8T and GLI 1.8T, both modified.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally had the chance to test drive one today and came away pretty impressed. Hands down, it has a sportier and more lively feel than my GTI. The steering was a bit looser than I expected though, might be due to the tires. My only concern is the mileage, it has 103k on the clock. Are there any big reliability concerns with the GC?

·
Registered
591 Posts
If it looks good , sounds good, drives good, it probably is good . If all checks out more than likely it would be reliable . Take care of scheduled maintenance etc..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is leaking oil (not a lot) which I'll have to look into, but other than that it seems fine. Any common issues related to oil leaks?

·
Bill
587 Posts
Anything over 100k will have something to deal with. depends where it's leaking; valve cover/oil pan no big deal, head/main seal big deal... not necessarily catastrophic.

there are lots of low mileage gc's...

·
159 Posts
That's the difference. Start modifying the GTI and there's, IMO, no comparison. Their aftermarket puts ours to shame and with simple mods they become quite fast. But, then you're stuck driving a somewhat boring FWD car, which I'll never go back to.

FWIW, I had both a MK4 GTI 1.8T and GLI 1.8T, both modified.
I miss the ungodly aftermarket support :frown:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't respond to pm's yet but I appreciate the offer I received. Unfortunately I have to trade my car in at a dealer in order to swap. I haven't had any luck selling my car privately.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm starting to have second thoughts on this, they're only asking $9k but there are so many question marks. I can't get a straight answer on the oil leak, not surprising. The car started and ran fine though. But, I didn't really have a chance to get on it either. Another thing I noticed is how easily traction control was kicking in. Slight acceleration from 30mph and the back end would stutter and TC would kick in. Tread life on the tires were good, but I'm wondering if they were the wrong ratio and throwing the system off...

Worst case scenario is it possible to swap in a 2nd generation 3.8? Car is AT btw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts