Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had my first experience with this on Sunday. I was trying to find out the limits of the car when the back end stepped out when I wasn't ready. So I lifted of the throttle but the car kept accelerating. It was very scary.

·
Hyundai Idiot
174 Posts
This isnt a flywheel issue, by any means. Look at the 98-05 VW Jetta/GTI's. They are DBW, with a HUUGE dual-mass flywheel. But no rev hang? Because there is no turbo system with a poorly designed BOV :p

Everyone should read the post by AMS - you would see that they installed a Tial BOV along with the factory BOV, and the rev-hang was practically eliminated. Why? Because the factory BOV would stay open and continue to recirculate boost after you take your foot off the pedal, but the Tial valve would 'blow-off' any boost when you go into vacuum/begin to decel, and eliminate the concern.

Kristin - you could probably shead some insight because you have an aftermarket BOV installed. Do you still have a rev-hang issue?

-Nick

·
traction control off =]
1,295 Posts
This isnt a flywheel issue, by any means. Look at the 98-05 VW Jetta/GTI's. They are DBW, with a HUUGE dual-mass flywheel. But no rev hang? Because there is no turbo system with a poorly designed BOV :p

Everyone should read the post by AMS - you would see that they installed a Tial BOV along with the factory BOV, and the rev-hang was practically eliminated. Why? Because the factory BOV would stay open and continue to recirculate boost after you take your foot off the pedal, but the Tial valve would 'blow-off' any boost when you go into vacuum/begin to decel, and eliminate the concern.

Kristin - you could probably shead some insight because you have an aftermarket BOV installed. Do you still have a rev-hang issue?

-Nick
agreed, but i think a big part of it is having the block off plate to eliminate the stock BOV....and AMS hasnt released it yet .. :(

·
traction control off =]
1,295 Posts
SO this only affects the 2.0T people who drive spiritedly?
honestly, i think its worse when you dont drive spiritedly. I find the rev's drop fastest when you blip the throttle right before you shift just to build some boost to actuate the BOV...

·
Registered
56 Posts
But no rev hang? Because there is no turbo system with a poorly designed BOV :p

Everyone should read the post by AMS - you would see that they installed a Tial BOV along with the factory BOV, and the rev-hang was practically eliminated.
Are you sure?

SFR claims BOV has nothing to do with it => http://www.gencoupe.com/67870-post4.html
Seoulfulracing said:
same thing with we get complaints about RPM does not drop fast enought. This is got nothing to do with BOV itself, it's just that this throttle body on Gen Coupe responses very slow.
:dunno:

·
Registered
646 Posts
The BOV has little to nothing to do with it... Its the DBW and ECU system and the way the computer controls the TB. AMS explained it best.

Now with the ECU controlling the BOV and the throttle body, when you let off the gas pedal, the ECU turns off the injectors which stops the engine from producing power, the ECU opens the BOV to relieve some pressure from the IC pipes and THEN the throttle is closed.

Now that said with my HKS SSQV installed on a prototype flange from AGP, I still find situations where the throttle isnt responding the way it should. I CAN NOT wait for the ECU guys to get a flash done so we can go to 1:1 pedal/throttle body correlation. Hell you can barely rev-match in this car. The ECU programming is and will continue to be the biggest beef I have with my rig.

·
Hyundai Idiot
174 Posts
Hell you can barely rev-match in this car. The ECU programming is and will continue to be the biggest beef I have with my rig.
I HATE that. That is the one thing I miss most about my previous vehicles, is being able to rev match. There is nothing like going through some turns on a back road and not being able to rev matcvh. UGHHHH :mad2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I HATE that. That is the one thing I miss most about my previous vehicles, is being able to rev match. There is nothing like going through some turns on a back road and not being able to rev matcvh. UGHHHH :mad2:
I never owned a vehicle with DBW, need I say more? :eek: Bowden cable FTW!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I took delivery of my 2.0T last night. When I test drove the car it seemed fine. At one point last night while out enjoying the new car, the throttle hung at the top of 1st gear so long I thought it was stuck open. Needless to say, I was not expecting that at all. After reading this entire post I'll be off to the dealership right after work.

Stage1

·
traction control off =]
1,295 Posts
I took delivery of my 2.0T last night. When I test drove the car it seemed fine. At one point last night while out enjoying the new car, the throttle hung at the top of 1st gear so long I thought it was stuck open. Needless to say, I was not expecting that at all. After reading this entire post I'll be off to the dealership right after work.

Stage1
yeah man, first gear is HORRIBLE

·
Registered
291 Posts
At first, I thought it was kind of annoying. It takes a little time to adjust to it but, I really dont think its as big of a problem that you guys are making it out to be.

Just engage 2nd gear quicker, simple as that(Being that 1rst gear is the worst).

Obviously I'm going to fix this in the near future.

·
Registered
432 Posts
This is a serious problem, it should not be made light of, or just simply "adjust to it"...I honestly think the throttle hanging open as long as it does poses a safety risk given the wrong set of circumstances.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
When I test drove the car in April and it had that problem , I felt like a noob driving a manual...:rolleyes:

I took possession of my Gen 2.0T last Thursday and don't have this issue.

Strange.:squint:

·
Ms. Warranty Voider
2,954 Posts

-Nick
It is better, but not not as good as it could be.

After reading that some 3.8's in Korea have the same issue, we can conclude this is not a bov issue. The only thing that is going to fix this 100% is an ECU flash.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been a member for a couple weeks and frequently seen this thread pop up - but never actually read it.

I am totally experiencing the rev hang - I chalked it up to 'just learning a new feel" for the shift timing. It all makes sense now - I agree - the 1st to 2nd bump is a pain in the hoop. I never actually test drove the manual, only the auto - I felt like a moron driving off the lot.

I'm at the dealer tomorrow to "discuss" my CEL light that came on today and remains on. (Not to mention, I received the car with paint damage on the door (wanted the car as I'd been waiting a while, didn't want to wait for them to fix before delivery, it's going in for body work when I go on vacation mid-june), so, I think the ball is in my court and I will push for solutions - I'm not the kind of person who waits for action, I push for action, and never settle for anything that's not fair or ethical.

My father is taking delivery on a new Elantra tomorrow - so, they've won two sales from our family in 2 weeks, playtime is over, time for solutions.

I'll post response from the dealer. Which is Attrell Hyundai in Brampton Ontario Canada - BTW.

Steve

·
Registered
56 Posts
Make sure you bitch a lot about the rev hang!

Do you have an OBD2 scanner? What code was that CEL/MIL?

It must have sucked large when you found out about the paint damage. Way to ruin delivery of a brand spanking new car, Attrell! :mad2:

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
I think that since it seems to be a wide spread issue, the best way to approach this is in mass. If we all go to dealers and report it, it would take a while considering how often do you have a service department at a dealer that goes out of there way to report a problem that a customer states unless you bug them constantly about it?

The better method would be to create one single thread as an electronic petition of the problem where the owner posts their name, location, model/trim, and when they received it from the dealer (i.e. the point of final sale). It doesn't have to be a paragraph, just a simple list. This way, once we get a large list going and consolidate versus several 2 and 3 page threads, we can then search for and contact higher up people with the url of the thread.

While it is no guarantee, it is still would be better then what we have been doing.

Bill

·
Registered
432 Posts
This is a good point, also, we've got 2 users on this board that claim no rev hang...it would be nice to get a video of one of these two cars driving, because those who know what the rev hang is will be able to spot it quite easily in a video.
If they prove to not have the issue, maybe there was a running change??

121 - 140 of 166 Posts