Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sup guys,

I can't justify paying 100 bucks for molded clear corners but I do like the look.

I saw that DD has their own for like 15 bucks and when I PM'd them about it, they said that you basically bend them yourself and are more DIY.

Has anyone installed these themselves? Is the material even bendable or will it just snap?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sup guys,

I can't justify paying 100 bucks for molded clear corners but I do like the look.

I saw that DD has their own for like 15 bucks and when I PM'd them about it, they said that you basically bend them yourself and are more DIY.

Has anyone installed these themselves? Is the material even bendable or will it just snap?
I've actually talked to a few vendors as well as people who have tried installing these and everyone said the same thing, they'll snap in half! You're way better off buying from FlyRyde or paying a little more to ensure quality. :)

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
Sup guys,

Okie.... not bashing DD here so don't think I am... but if you go to your local hardware store and pick up a translucent ceiling tile (like the ones that cover fluorescent lights in drop ceilings) and cut it with a dremel, you basically have the same thing that DD is selling. If you are going to use it, use a lot of super glue because they tend to want to go back flat and pop out. Keep in mind neither the light cover nor DDs clear corners are reflective; thus do not meet most (any?) state's DOT lighting requirements.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Okie.... not bashing DD here so don't think I am... but if you go to your local hardware store and pick up a translucent ceiling tile (like the ones that cover fluorescent lights in drop ceilings) and cut it with a dremel, you basically have the same thing that DD is selling. If you are going to use it, use a lot of super glue because they tend to want to go back flat and pop out. Keep in mind neither the light cover nor DDs clear corners are reflective; thus do not meet most (any?) state's DOT lighting requirements.
:gc-smiley-sign-i-ag or just black out your current reflectors. I got mine done with Jay at GCTuner and they look great blacked out!

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
How is blacking out your reflectors anything like clear corners? Most people use clear corners in conjunction with switchback side marker LED panels. So with just the parking lights on, it is white, but turns amber when the turn signal is activated. If you black them out, you completely lose the effect.

·
Registered
144 Posts
How is blacking out your reflectors anything like clear corners? Most people use clear corners in conjunction with switchback side marker LED panels. So with just the parking lights on, it is white, but turns amber when the turn signal is activated. If you black them out, you completely lose the effect.
Well he didn't mention that he wanted it to be in conjunction with the LED panels, I was merely giving him another option to do something different with his reflectors. Just an idea. :icon_rolleyes:

·
www.diodedynamics.com
3,493 Posts
It can be tricky if you try to rush it. They do not just snap right in or anything.

Position the bottom in place. With a small applicator, start applying epoxy along the edge to secure in place. Wait for it to dry, securing with epoxy as you bend it into place.

You have to be patient. Use clear 5 minute permanent epoxy for best results.

If you are willing to pay more, I'd certainly recommend getting OEM ones. This is just the budget DIY version.

Paul

·
www.diodedynamics.com
3,493 Posts
Okie.... not bashing DD here so don't think I am... but if you go to your local hardware store and pick up a translucent ceiling tile (like the ones that cover fluorescent lights in drop ceilings) and cut it with a dremel, you basically have the same thing that DD is selling.
Yes, you can do that exact thing... go for it! It just takes forever to get the sizing correct du to the curvature. That's what you are paying for by purchasing from us. If you've got time to kill, dremel away! :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see!

Thank you for the information guys; I'm not really handy when it comes to cars (took me like 3 hours to install a Forge BOV lol) so I think I'll keep looking.

:)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Honestly, pay the extra money and get the KDM ones. I just had the DD ones crack while putting them in. Even before that, the fit was not perfect. I had gaps on both sides. If you're really on a budget you can make them work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts