Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cone Killa
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, been lurking on here for a while, but I recently got my Gen so I thought I'd make a thread for it.

Flew from Atlanta all the way to Ohio to get it. The weren't any in my area that met my requirements, but this one did, so I made the trip.

The salesman I had been in contact with had a porter pick me up from the airport and brought me to the dealership, and that's when I first got to see her in person.

It was at a VW dealership whose owner also has a BMW dealership right up the street which is why you see the i8 and M4 off to the right. My eyes were still glued to my car.

I was initially concerned about the car having rust as it has been an Ohio car it's entire life, so before I flew out, I had the salesman get the car on a lift and send me pictures. Not bad, but not great either. Definitely not a deal breaker though.

Then began the long drive home. Stopped at a rest stop early on and snapped a pic.

There were some nice views on the way back home.

Thank god for cruise control.

Made it to Lousiville, KY at a reasonable hour and spent the night in a hotel. Cool city. Woke up the next morning and took some pics by the Ohio river.

Got back to Atlanta and met up with my family for some dinner. Also introduced my car to my mom who had no idea I was even making the trip lol. I knew she would freak out so I kept quiet. She liked it! Here's a shot with my brother's 350Z. Gray ftw.

Made a couple runs with my brother. He got me from a dig and a roll lol. HR 350s are pretty quick.

That's about it for now. I have many plans for this car. I want to lessen it's weaknesses before adding new strengths. I want to get into autocross. There are so, so many things that I want that involve this car.

I've already made my first "mod" purchase if you can even it call it one lol. What is it? I guess you'll just have to wait and see.

Glad to be an official owner and a part of the forum.

Thanks for reading.

P.S.

If anyone around me wants to trade their OEM BK2 tails for my Superlux V2s, PM me lol.

·
Cone Killa
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Got my first "mod" in yesterday lol.

It's a delrin teardrop shaped shift knob. I like that it's delrin because it won't get super hot or cold like metal shift knobs do. It's also a very durable material, and the thing was only $30 which isn't that bad compared to other knobs out there. I got mine off Amazon but I know they're on eBay and other sites as well.

Also took off my front license plate, definitely needs to be cleaned up lol.

I like that the shape allows you to use both a full grip.

And also a "claw grip".

I went out for a drive after putting it on and I am very happy with my purchase. I do wish it were a little heavier though.

Should be ordering more parts soon. Stay tuned.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
716 Posts
I see the previous owner installed true dual exhaust. If the car had a tune for them, which I doubt it has, you should have handily beat the 350Z. Just guessing but I have done that a few times at the track here, with a stock 2012 3.8 Track, Auto with no tune.

BTW...Nice looking ride!

·
Cone Killa
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see the previous owner installed true dual exhaust. If the car had a tune for them, which I doubt it has, you should have handily beat the 350Z. Just guessing but I have done that a few times at the track here, with a stock 2012 3.8 Track, Auto with no tune.

BTW...Nice looking ride!
Yup, one of the previous owners also put on the Injen short ram intake.

An SFR Stage 1.5 tune is definitely in the plans (as long as it doesn't disable cruise control then I'll just do Stage 1), but first I'm doing a few things to build a solid foundation before adding more power.

I'm pretty sure I could take DE and Rev-Up 350Zs right now as is, but HRs, like my brothers, are much faster.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey there! I saw your post about trading for stock parts, and thought I would try to contact you here. I have a 2010 3.8 Grand Touring A/T, and I'd be up for trading you the stock exhaust for your Magnaflow. I just got an AEM CAI so I'm not really interested in your SRI, but I also have a set of BK1 tail lights if you're interested in those. Email me at evan.coar[at]gmail[dot]com and we can try and work something out? I definitely have some additional questions for you. Thanks!

·
Cone Killa
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey there! I saw your post about trading for stock parts, and thought I would try to contact you here. I have a 2010 3.8 Grand Touring A/T, and I'd be up for trading you the stock exhaust for your Magnaflow. I just got an AEM CAI so I'm not really interested in your SRI, but I also have a set of BK1 tail lights if you're interested in those. Email me at evan.coar[at]gmail[dot]com and we can try and work something out? I definitely have some additional questions for you. Thanks!
Hey man, I think I'm going to hold off on this, especially with regard to the exhaust. I definitely still would like a stock airbox or a true CAI like you have but am in no rush to do so. Thanks.

·
Cone Killa
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
UPDATE:

This is a bit overdue, but I've been super busy the past couple of weeks.

Anyway, got some work done with my brother last Saturday.

1) Oil change (package inspired by @StrangeLiForm)
- Mobil 1 5W-30
- RSR Ran UP
- Lucas Oil Synthetic Oil Stabilizer
- STP oil filter

2) Better ground mod
- Sandpaper
- Dielectric grease

3) Transmission fluid drain and fill
- AMSOil Manual Tranmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 GL-4

4) Differential fluid drain and fill
- Lucas Oil Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 GL-5

5) Enthuspec Subframe Collars

6) Megan Racing Transmission Mount

7) SPC Camber Bolts
- Part #: 81260

After doing the better ground mod, we got the car up in the air.

The exhaust and differential in particular were quite rusty.

Aside from the surface rust, the car looked pretty good underneath so I was happy.

Went to replace the transmission mount and discovered that it already had a Megan Racing unit. This was a little disappointing given that I felt like there was a lot of room for improvement in regard to drivetrain slop. Swapped in the new one anyway, feels exactly the same. PM me if you're interested in buying a used Megan Racing transmission mount.

Moved on to the subframe collars. We started with the most rearward location but ran into a snag: there was nowhere for the collars to go!

The area around the stud was completely solid. We had already scraped off all the corrosion and nasty **** and even tried impacting the collar up but there was nowhere for it to go. It was just solid medal. Found this really strange. There was room around the studs for all six other locations and they went in just fine.

Didn't have time to do the camber bolts so those will go in next time.

I haven't noticed a huge difference after completing all the work. Motor still runs smooth, transmission feels the same and still grinds 5th and 6th. The ground mod doesn't seem to have made a difference, and I haven't felt any noticeable improvement from the subframe collars. Oh well, glad to have got it all done anyway.

This past Sunday, I competed in my first autocross. Holy **** it was fun. Ran in the Novice class since it was my first time, along with a couple new STis, a couple older Miatas, a few C5 Corvettes, etc.

Ended up second behind one of the STis and was super stoked. It was just a great experience and I plan on running in the next event on October 2nd.

I wish I had more headroom, but such is life given that I picked a trim with a sunroof.

I did just make quite a big purchase for the car yesterday and hope to get it on the car Saturday. What did I get? Stay tuned to find out.

P.S.

Ran into a fellow BK1 3.8 one night! Had a bit of fun from a dig and from a roll. He was an auto though. I'l leave the results to your guys' imaginations.
Jose, if you're reading this, good runs man! I'm also still super jealous of your Intelargos Yellow lol.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Oh snap, you went for our oil mix. Nice!

I'm kinda surprised you didn't mention much change in engine power and smoothness. We found very noticeable differences, especially in the lower and higher RPM ranges. One of the easiest things to notice is that the engine should idle a lot smoother and quieter. Our engine got so much quieter at idle that we kept thinking we had stalled it when we pulled up to intersections. An increased eagerness to pull from 3000-7000 RPM really set off our butt-dyno in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear as well. Larger displacement engines with higher cylinder counts like the 3.8 really tend to benefit from Ran-Up in particular.

At the very least, you should notice the engine become a little more resistant to heating up. The combination of Ran-Up and Lucas SynStabil is amazing for controlling elevated engine oil temps.

Did you use the whole bottle of Ran-Up, or just half of it? If you went for the full 300mL then it should have made a major difference. We finally convinced a buddy of ours to pour a bottle in his C6 Vette a couple of weeks ago. We made him drive it gently for a full 30 mins like the instructions say. When he finally stamped on the gas he about crapped himself!

Good luck with your car, and I hope you can find a mix that calms down that nasty grinding 5th/6th syncro.

·
Cone Killa
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh snap, you went for our oil mix. Nice!

I'm kinda surprised you didn't mention much change in engine power and smoothness. We found very noticeable differences, especially in the lower and higher RPM ranges. One of the easiest things to notice is that the engine should idle a lot smoother and quieter. Our engine got so much quieter at idle that we kept thinking we had stalled it when we pulled up to intersections. An increased eagerness to pull from 3000-7000 RPM really set off our butt-dyno in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear as well. Larger displacement engines with higher cylinder counts like the 3.8 really tend to benefit from Ran-Up in particular.

At the very least, you should notice the engine become a little more resistant to heating up. The combination of Ran-Up and Lucas SynStabil is amazing for controlling elevated engine oil temps.

Did you use the whole bottle of Ran-Up, or just half of it? If you went for the full 300mL then it should have made a major difference. We finally convinced a buddy of ours to pour a bottle in his C6 Vette a couple of weeks ago. We made him drive it gently for a full 30 mins like the instructions say. When he finally stamped on the gas he about crapped himself!

Good luck with your car, and I hope you can find a mix that calms down that nasty grinding 5th/6th syncro.
Yup, I've followed your guys' blog and thread on here pretty closely. Big fan of what you guys are doing with your BK1.

I wish I could I say I noticed more of a difference. The only thing that seems apparent to me is a slightly lower idle. Not a big deal though, the engine ran real smooth before and continues to do so. I used the entire bottle of Ran-Up, but failed to read the part to take it easy for the first 30 minutes (derp). I don't remember getting on it too hard though.

I want to try Cera Tec with my next oil change (as well as in my transmission like we messaged about).

Autocross coming up this Sunday. I've just received a bunch of parts that I'm really excited about but I'm not sure I'll be able to get them on in time. Regardless, I'm stoked to hit my second event and look to make improvements in my driving, with or without the mods.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wish I could I say I noticed more of a difference. The only thing that seems apparent to me is a slightly lower idle. Not a big deal though, the engine ran real smooth before and continues to do so.
Welp, that's subjectivity for you. Granted, I've got a ridiculous amount of mechanical empathy; so small changes really leap out at me. I'll notice very small noises or vibrations on cars I spend a lot of time with that hardly anyone else picks up on when I try to point it out. Then later on we find a dying belt, collapsing suspension bushing, iffy wheel-bearing, or something else like that.

What I can say for certain is that your new oil mix will last a ridiculously long time. 15,000 miles would not be pushing it even with regular auto-cross events. We're being stupidly conservative by changing our similar mix at 10,000 miles on Project Hoondy. We really should get a fresh analysis from Blackstone Labs when we do our next oil change. Last time we did testing on this mix we were using a lower-quality base oil and ran it in a much dirtier (and turbocharged!) engine. For all we know, our current mix for Project Hoondy might not even be half way through its life at 10,000 miles.

Ceretec is good for engine oil as well, but it really works best in manual transmissions. It is based on older tech and isn't as hi-po as RAN-UP for use in engines. It is cheaper though and I would definitely recommend it over using no nano-additive at all.

If only ZDDP didn't screw with catalytic converters so badly. Then we wouldn't even bother with this nano-additive stuff. Ah well, it's still fun to play with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts