Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2011 Genesis Coupe 2.0t Premium
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So I decided to bite the bullet on buying this turbo despite the other poor reviews on the forum. If I could sum it up, I would say WORTH IT. It was a measly 900 CAD (750 US), and in my opinion, worth every single penny so far. I am also FBO and running Evo X injectors with a SFR canned tune at 18.5 psi.

So firstly, you can't just buy this turbo and put it in. You will need at the minimum: turbo to downpipe studs + two turbo to manifold studs. However, I decided to get the whole shebang and get all studs and gaskets possible to make sure there aren't going to be any issues (got them all from gencoupe store, ran me about 200 CAD total).

So now onto the quality... the gaskets included with the kit (turbo to manifold and downpipe gaskets) are pretty much identical to the gencoupe store ones I got. All stainless steel lines and fittings seemed to be good quality. Put teflon tape on everything that was threaded and nothing leaked. Everything was the right size and fit perfectly. The only thing is I had to re-use my OEM oil drain fitting from my stock turbo since the one included is too long and will not fit. The turbo itself seemed to be of good quality. The balancing graph was included which added a bit of reassurance lol. A few other springs for the wastegate were also included.

So now comes performance... compared to a couple buddies' 450whp 335is, boost hits harder than either of them. The turbo spools a tad over 3k and pulls like a freight train for pretty much the whole powerband. If you do live in a city where you always need to drive spiritly, I would not recommend this turbo, as you would probably be better off with a 16g. However, if don't mind a little bit of lag, then this is the set-up for you!

Now for numbers... I live in Ontario, Canada so we are still currently locked down so I can't really get this thing dyno'd yet, but I will eventually. If I had to guess, I would say something around 310-320whp.

So now for total cost:
FBO (not counting)
Evo X oem injectors - $100 CAD from ebay
Turbo - $900 CAD from ebay
SFR tune - $900 CAD
Gaskets/studs - $200 CAD
Total: $2,100 CAD

Any comments, questions or concerns about the setup, post below!

Registered
You said you鈥檙e running at 18.5 psi can the stock turbo not run that much? I鈥檓 not understanding the reason you upgraded if you鈥檙e not running much more boost then stock. I鈥檓 assuming it鈥檚 because the stock turbo can鈥檛 run that much through the whole power band?

Registered
You said you鈥檙e running at 18.5 psi can the stock turbo not run that much? I鈥檓 not understanding the reason you upgraded if you鈥檙e not running much more boost then stock. I鈥檓 assuming it鈥檚 because the stock turbo can鈥檛 run that much through the whole power band?
It's an upgrade, the new turbo can run more boost but other car parts would need to be upgraded for more power. He's probably over 100 more hp at just 18psi. Stock turbo has 募imitations at high RPM

Premium Member
Boost pressure and cfm are different things.

Reason why a larger turbo will help produce more power at the same as stock boost pressure.
EDIT: also on a smaller turbo, the more it goes out of it's cfm efficiency the air coming out becomes hotter.
With a larger turbo, it has more head room to work with, before the outlet air has that kind of issue.

Registered
Hey, I was interested enough in this to make a whole account just to reply to this thread. I've been considering this exact turbo for around a year.

Could you explain further why you weren't able to bolt the turbo right up, and needed to buy more hardware? Were those parts not included? Could the stock studs be re used? Also, could you provide the links for exactly what else you had to buy to install, including gaskets?

Also, do you have an upgraded fuel pump, intercooler + piping?

How are you able to run a canned tune with the upgraded turbo? I thought that always required a custom tune, not to mention the fact you are running Evo X injectors.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

Registered
Hey, I was interested enough in this to make a whole account just to reply to this thread. I've been considering this exact turbo for around a year.

Could you explain further why you weren't able to bolt the turbo right up, and needed to buy more hardware? Were those parts not included? Could the stock studs be re used? Also, could you provide the links for exactly what else you had to buy to install, including gaskets?

Also, do you have an upgraded fuel pump, intercooler + piping?

How are you able to run a canned tune with the upgraded turbo? I thought that always required a custom tune, not to mention the fact you are running Evo X injectors.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!
Turbo does bolt right up. Extra hardware is for ease of access and install. Canned and custom tunes work. Injectors and fuel pump are recommended over 300hp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts