Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ark hood is a little over a year old.

I wanted to post a review on how its holding up.

This review is not discussing fitment (which is terrible), purely how its held up over a short period of time.

Today, I noticed that it was beginning to crack (top side) right where the latch is placed. This is very sketchy.. Keep in mind, I do have hood pins as a safety measure (Id highly recommend them if you plan on buying an Ark hood)

You can see several cracks in this picture (I'll try and get a better camera. Its worse in person)

This is how the hood has started cracking in numerous other places:

And if the cracks weren't bad enough, it looks as if the clear is coming off around the majority of the top edge.

It looks just as bad in several smaller places as well

My car is in the garage most nights, rarely driven in the snow or rain, and is very well maintained.

Pros:
Light weight
Looks good from a distance (debatable)
Hasnt turned yellow (like some Carbon hoods do overtime)

Cons:
Poorly made
Terrible fitment
Clear is peeling
Cracks everywhere
Probably going to shatter sometime

Overall, I would not recommend this product to anyone.

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
Oh wow. I had considered getting an Ark hood but decided against it because I heard there were fitment issues, so I opted to go with a VIS Terminator hood instead. After reading your review, I'm glad that I decided not to go with the ARK.

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh wow. I had considered getting an Ark hood but decided against it because I heard there were fitment issues, so I opted to go with a VIS Terminator hood instead. After reading your review, I'm glad that I decided not to go with the ARK.
Good Choice!

I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it to someone else..

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I demand a video of you borrowing guns and pumping rounds through it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
How much would you pay to see that? (gotta start a new hood fund somehow!)

Jake.. when you see this.. Can I borrow something for the video?

·
The 1st 2000GT
1,872 Posts
Ill ship you a few objects that shoot projectiles out at a high velocity! Big ol' rounds too!:hellokitty10:

Sucks to see that that hood is that bad, i've personally started to like that hood on your car, tied in nicely in the pics.

I sugest for your next hood to get a plexiglass one, so we can all see the goods your packing!:D

·
Turbo noob
5,514 Posts
That kinda sucks. You've only had it for just over a year? Wow.. I'd expect something like that to last 3-5 years if well maintained.

·
Registered
143 Posts
For the price of that particular hood you have I'd be beyond pissed. I mean all of their hoods are pricey. Much more than Vis and theirs last longer. I can see the clear peeling, the cracks and I'm not sure if I'm the only one but it also looks like the carbon weave is messed up in picture #3. Other than the price, reviews like this and such it's why I stayed away and will be going with a Vis hood once again if and when I decide to get one for this car. Good review Steve.

·
Ex-DSMer
3,611 Posts
Put pins in that one, too. I'd never trust ANY brand's latch on a CF hood.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Put pins in that one, too. I'd never trust ANY brand's latch on a CF hood.
You would be surprised at how many venders here (not mentioning names) that state the Vis hoods have come along way and don't require hood pins unless you want "piece of mind". Practically feeding you bull but won't back their word with a guarantee lol. I don't care how great the hood latch is on any cf hood, unless it's a show car you put pins in it.

And yes Steve I'm very sorry about the outcome of that hood. That is not cheap. I personally like the Vis AMS and the...dam can't think of the name but Nikko(Sp?) of IS had/has it. Both are nice but I'm leaning towards the AMS.

Do they offer any type of answer or have you not yet said anything to them?

Dave

·
Ex-DSMer
3,611 Posts
A good percent of the vendors have less product knowledge than the average consumer, but are good at bumping and/or closing sales.

Pins in CF is modding 101. Always. Any car.

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You would be surprised at how many venders here (not mentioning names) that state the Vis hoods have come along way and don't require hood pins unless you want "piece of mind". Practically feeding you bull but won't back their word with a guarantee lol. I don't care how great the hood latch is on any cf hood, unless it's a show car you put pins in it.

And yes Steve I'm very sorry about the outcome of that hood. That is not cheap. I personally like the Vis AMS and the...dam can't think of the name but Nikko(Sp?) of IS had/has it. Both are nice but I'm leaning towards the AMS.

Do they offer any type of answer or have you not yet said anything to them?

Dave
I had contacted them when I first got the hood about fitment issues. They didn't exactly give me any answers that were helpful and I wasnt satisfied with the customer service (or the hood, its terrible fitment).

I have never contacted them again. And did not contact them about these issues.

With it being over a year old, I didnt think they'd offer me much of a solution.

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
Yah... not buying the "you don't need hood pins" argument. Got me some AeroTech hood latches whether I need them or not.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
I feel your pain man. I'd stay away from VIS and Seibon too. My hood has little pits forming under the clear and my trunk has cloudy clearcoat on a good potion of it. I don't have any hood pins on my hood, using the latch. My Seibon hood is lined up 100% perfect in the back but falls short about 1/4" up front. Luckily I don't have any cracks so I'm most likely just going to paint silver to match the car. Both are yellowing, so is my RMR grille, and my VIS fog bezels.

Granted I'm in Texas and that alone is rough on any finish, but she's been garage kept 75% of the time for the last year or so, and most of it started late last year.

·
제네시스 쿠페
1,070 Posts
Since having the Seibon hood and trunk on from SEMA 2011 to end of 2012..

Seibon hood was sanded down and clear coated while the trunk was just left as is.. (straight out of box) and installed

my seibon hood has been holding up superb in terms of yellowing from the outer gelcoat but the trunk I sold had yellowing.. so with any carbon fiber items.. i suggest getting it painted or at least clear coated..

but dam.. thats pretty bad for just a little over a year

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Just a shame what these companies are charging you guys and then its only holding up 1 year. This is the reason my cars will never see aftermarket carbon fiber! Hopefully ARK will have something decent to say?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Too bad you didn't live closer. I have a few EOD buddies that I could probably get to videotape them strapping C4 to it for a controlled det at their range and send it back to ya.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm kind of shocked to hear about all of the other companies products having issues as well. Really wanted the Vis AMS hood and was considering fog bezels and a rear diffusor. I definitely wanted to have them all color matched to Bathurst Black but at the same time wouldn't all these cracks and stuff happen under the paint? I've also read that keeping the wax in check is a must. And to never use turtle wax on any carbon fiber pieces. Now I'm debating getting any of it at all...Thanks for all the input even it is bad news input.

Dave

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a shame what these companies are charging you guys and then its only holding up 1 year. This is the reason my cars will never see aftermarket carbon fiber! Hopefully ARK will have something decent to say?!?!?!
I wasnt expecting Ark to chime in, but it would be nice to know if any other members have had issues like this with Ark products?

Possibly I just got a bad one? or are they all this bad?

1 - 20 of 229 Posts