Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking up info on doing a turbo upgrade in the future and just want to get a game plan and parts list ready. I’ve been looking through the forum and I see that a lot of people say that certain turbos are “bolt-on” and it’s as simple as just sealing them out. When I took my turbo off to take the stripped studs out the entire hot side of my turbo and the exhaust/turbo manifold were one solid piece. Just looking for some clarification.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You are correct. On the 13-14 2.0T the exhaust manifold is part of the turbo exhaust housing. To go to an aftermarket turbo, you'll need an aftermarket manifold as well. The ones made for the 10-12 cars will work on the 13-14 cars. The other concern is the wastegate, you'll have to go to a manual setup and replace the electronic one on your car right now. I'm not 100% sure how you replace the electronic wastegate without the ECM throwing a fit. I assume that tuners like BTR/SFR or Alphapseed can adjust for it in the tune.

·
dontmindme. justcreepin
182 Posts
Unfortunately, you are correct with the big one piece of clunk manifold turbo EWG. I will be installing the BT-500 kit on the 3rd. I sent an extra ECU to Jay at SFR for a canned tune till I can make it up that way later in the month for a tune. The tune will take care of the EWG issue.
I'm just letting you know how I am doing it, I'm sure others have different insights on it or personal preferences.

What parts are on your "to buy" list already?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I was looking at the BK1 manifold, my mom has a BK1, and was thinking about it. If I doing a build then I’ll probably just buy an aftermarket one.

So far the only parts I have on my list are:
ATP GT2871r turbo
Exhaust Manifold
Oil lines
BOV (not sure what brand)
Wastegate (not sure what brand)

I also know I’ll need a upgraded fuel pump and injectors just haven’t setteled in which injectors yet.

·
99.9% Lurker...
87 Posts
Yeah I was looking at the BK1 manifold, my mom has a BK1, and was thinking about it. If I doing a build then I’ll probably just buy an aftermarket one.

So far the only parts I have on my list are:
ATP GT2871r turbo
Exhaust Manifold
Oil lines
BOV (not sure what brand)
Wastegate (not sure what brand)

I also know I’ll need a upgraded fuel pump and injectors just haven’t setteled in which injectors yet.
You don't need an upgraded fuel pump nor upgraded injectors.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay guys I have an update for you. I picked up a GT2871r tonight for a pretty good deal I think and it also came with a exhaust manifold. Still in the process of finding a wastegate and manifold for a EWG. First I need to fix a boost leak issue, car will only build 6 psi.

·
dontmindme. justcreepin
182 Posts
Okay guys I have an update for you. I picked up a GT2871r tonight for a pretty good deal I think and it also came with a exhaust manifold. Still in the process of finding a wastegate and manifold for a EWG. First I need to fix a boost leak issue, car will only build 6 psi.
There are no available manifolds for the EWG. Your best bet is to use the stock manifold from the BK1 since you have the stock replacement turbo and the ATP turbo should be internally wastegated. Then get a tune to get rid of the EWG and get your car dialed in to spool that sucker. I’m pretty sure with that size you can boost 20psi before you even start to consider upgraded fuel options.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are no available manifolds for the EWG. Your best bet is to use the stock manifold from the BK1 since you have the stock replacement turbo and the ATP turbo should be internally wastegated. Then get a tune to get rid of the EWG and get your car dialed in to spool that sucker. I’m pretty sure with that size you can boost 20psi before you even start to consider upgraded fuel options.
Yeah I was thinking about that last night about it being internally wastegate. I was still thinking about getting the GFB G-Force EBC to control boost. I’m just trying to figure out what all I need to put the turbo in.

·
dontmindme. justcreepin
182 Posts
The ATP comes with oil and coolant lines so you don’t need those. Since you have the turbo and manifold, all you need is the O2 housing for a BK1, intake (BK1 sits slightly lower), and gaskets for everything. The GFB is a great option but is not required. An MBC works just fine.
Send out your ECU for a canned tune to your preferred tuner to get a good base and remove the EWG.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The ATP comes with oil and coolant lines so you don’t need those. Since you have the turbo and manifold, all you need is the O2 housing for a BK1, intake (BK1 sits slightly lower), and gaskets for everything. The GFB is a great option but is not required. An MBC works just fine.
Send out your ECU for a canned tune to your preferred tuner to get a good base and remove the EWG.
Okay, I’m in the process of getting an O2 housing now. I should be able to adapt my K&N intake to the new turbo. I like the options the EBC offers so I might as well go that route. I’ll be getting tuned by AlphaSpeed and have a guy 10 mins from where I live. Thank you for all help.

·
dontmindme. justcreepin
182 Posts
Where do you live? I wanted to get a tune from them when I get my Haltech and injectors sometime this summer.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just bolted the ATP GT28 kit on my 2013. The inlet is 3" on the GT28 so any intake you have will need to be modified. The BK1 manifold bolts up just fine, but the GT28 exhaust outlet is like 2"s off from the original 02 housing because of the design of the turbine housing. It still bolts to the O2 housing ok so they can call it "bolt-on", but the rest of your exhaust will be crooked and need to be adjusted. I hit 100% DC on stock BK2 injectors at 20psi with VVT disabled and about 11:1 afr. I am not even going to go further without upgrading injectors. Fuel pressure starts to drop at these flow rates, so I am guessing this is reaching the limits of the oem pump also. Keep the internal gate, unless your going for the sound of the dump. I run megasquirt, so I can't comment on the ECU tunes. What I like about this turbo so far, is that it makes the car feel like how a turbo 2.0 should be. I ran a TD05 20G for a little while and it the spool is noticeably different. Not as fast as stock, but what you get mid to high rpm is worth the trade.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ok so I lied. Now that I have the tune closer and leaner I peak at 80% DC at 6500. I'm right around 21psi. I have intake VVT enabled now and all that did was require more fuel low to mid. I am hoping that this turbo will produce more than it is right now, so I be getting larger injectors soon. Anyways I am curious to see how your car turns out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so I lied. Now that I have the tune closer and leaner I peak at 80% DC at 6500. I'm right around 21psi. I have intake VVT enabled now and all that did was require more fuel low to mid. I am hoping that this turbo will produce more than it is right now, so I be getting larger injectors soon. Anyways I am curious to see how your car turns out.
Yeah I mocked it up the other day and it will need a little modding. I still have a few things left to get for the upgrade to be installed so it might be a month or so. When I get everything installed and running I’ll be going to do a dyno run.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice. I will most likely not see dyno time. I will keep a look out for yours results.

Did I see you are running a Haltech? Would you be willing to share your maps when you get it dialed in?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Oh ok, so your having your OEM ECU tuned? Do you have any type of data logging tools? Or is this like a "set it and forget it" type of deal?

I ask because I am interested in the data, if shareable. Anyway, good luck with your build. Will watch. I am partially tuned and very happy with this turbo.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh ok, so your having your OEM ECU tuned? Do you have any type of data logging tools? Or is this like a "set it and forget it" type of deal?

I ask because I am interested in the data, if shareable. Anyway, good luck with your build. Will watch. I am partially tuned and very happy with this turbo.
It’s mostly a set and forget type of deal although I can buy a module to log the data my afr and boost gauge see. I’m in the process of getting the other parts now and as soon as I have an update I’ll post.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts