Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Attention to all GC owners: WATER LEAK PROBLEM

45K views 85 replies 38 participants last post by  Valenz 
#1 ·
I've been checking out this forum time to time, but never really participated. I just want to let all you GC owners know that there is a water leak problem with potentially ALL GCs.

I found that every time it rained, I had water at the back dripping down onto the speakers on both sides. I checked with OpenRoad Hyundai in Richmond (my dealer). The first time they said they couldn't find any problems and just told me to monitor the situation. I soon found the leak to happen again and both the back pillars were soaked and water was dripping down again. I have a bunch of pictures and went to the dealer again. They then determined it to be a design flaw and that potentially all GCs would have this problem. So to all you GC owners, please go get the problem fixed!!!

I've also been having a really tough time dealing with the OpenRoad Hyundai people. It seems as though they don't quite care about customer service at all and their professionalism is just down the drain. I went to pick up my "fixed" car and then i noticed another problem...
The paint area where i place my N sign (MAGNETIC) had faded and is like a white BLOTCH on my BLUE GC. i'm pretty worried because it looks ridiculously ugly and i can't believe the employees there didn't see it AT ALL and didn't bother to fix it while they had my car in for a couple days. Now i have to wait for the manager to get back to me... I'm hating going back and forth.

Anyways, those are the problems i have been having and i hope you guys don't go through the trouble i do!

If there is any advice on the paint and how the N sign could possibly leave a paint defect please share!

oh, and the people at the dealer told me that they "might" do a recall for the leak problem. but i highly doubt it since they'd prob want to keep it as low profile possible.

See less See more
#9 ·
hhmmm i think its just a select few that have this problem then cuz ive had my gen for almost two years and no water leaks whats so ever and i pressure wash that car like its nobodys bussines

#14 ·
I dont think pressure wash would result in it because the water just bounces off, whereas rain water seeps in after a while.

BTW.

mine is a 2010 model, so they may have it fixed for the 2011 model, who knows.

They didn't really tell me much when i picked up the car, just said the rain water would clog around and seep in. They sealed the area for the car. I'm waiting to receive the full details via mail.

I sent pics to snoop, he'll upload them for everyone.

ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE PAINT FADING THOUGH?
i'm going to dealer tomorrow to get it "checked" with the manager.

#11 ·
The rear side window (driver side), has an issue where the window is not mounted properly to the frame. This causes a gap between the rubber window surrounding, and the body. Water can get in, and because there IS a speaker in the corner, can cause electricial issues.

There is a TSB for this. I had mine replaced at the dealer. Took them about a day, and they said the window bracket was in fact broken and a common issue. This was for a 2010.

#13 ·
Op, you mentioned it's the rear pillars. It sounds like a clogged sunroof drains. Most vehicle with sunroofs have drain tubes that run to the front and rear of the vehicle along the edge of the roof and down the pillars. Or it could be a problem with the rear glass not sealed properly on the corners. Did your dealership bother to drop the rear portion of the headliner to get a better look?

#15 ·
comments on openroad hyundai in richmond from OP = truth. don't even bother with the service manager, all he cares about is that the lot boys clean his car and that he leaves on time at the end of the day

bring your car elsewhere. regardless of where you live. i live in richmond and i brought my car to openroad for the first oil change (that was free) because you can't **** up an oil change (i'd hope), but for any future services that i need from a dealer, i'll likely be going to jp hyundai in surrey

#18 ·
I haven't had any problems with leaks that I have noticed. I will definitely take a look in that area the next time I wash my car/rains.

#19 ·
I'm uploading the pics now..
I can say this.. mine has NEVER done that. And in the time of owning a GC (2 years) I haven't seen any other GC do this either.
Get a new headliner, speakers and whatever else is behind there. They'll have to gut the rear of your GC to make sure nothing else has been water logged.

#22 ·
holy shoot this is bad.

this is really bad!!

i hope they fixed correctly.

#29 ·
I hope you'll get your leakage fixed, I haven't had problems with my 11' model yet. But it's still very new. As for your paint issue, I do know that a magnetic N sign that is stuck on the body exposed to high temperatures can leave marks on your car after a long period of time (months-couple years, differentiates by how you treat your car.)

Hope this answers your questions

#30 ·
Their advisors treat their customers like crap. I'm an advisor myself and realized how terrible their attitude was.

The N sign magnet however I don't think you can claim with warranty. That's an outside influence to the car's paint. You place it there at your own discretion. You could however keep arguing to them about it, but most likely they won't do anything.

#34 ·
okay! so yeah, the water leak problem is fixed, hopefully thats done with.

The paint is apparently is 'my fault', they did try to polish it out...
it didn't really work.. so i still have some mismatch in colours where the N sign is. gonna start putting the N inside now LOL..

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place that is affordable (im still a student) that i can bring my car to get detailed. Cause apparently there are a lot of scratches all over my car due to debris and other people scratching it.

any opinion would help!

thank you!

#35 ·
I highly recommend doing it yourself, but then of course you need your own equipment.

I have a couple friends who are a detailing group and don't charge that much for a wash, claybar, paint correction/polish and wax job. They can make your car look like new again

Seems like something I need to do with my car as well, I'm so anal about the paint and hairline scratches and I haven't detailed my car yet

#39 ·
water leak from sunroof drain

I just had the same issue fixed on my 2010 coupe, though mind you it wasn't as bad. I found a few drops of water on my front passenger floor mat after it rained here for a couple of days. Dealer at Pineview Hyundai in Woodbridge found the problem to be a clogged drain tube for the sunroof and fixed the problem by cleaning it out. They couldn't explain why it happened in the first place, but the warranty invoice showed there was a tsb out for the problem, go figure out why Hyundai hasn't had a recall considering the problem appears to be widespread! I'm going to check the driver rear window now that it was mentioned here.

#42 ·
Nevermind, leaked again in the same spot! I'm regretting giving Hyundai a try, car looks nice but it's a pain in the a** with issues like this that dealerships are incompetent at fixing. Cars at Thornhill Hyundai now, they sprayed a bit of water and didn't see any leaks
And were willing to give it back to me without further diagnosis! I took pictures to show the water leaking in, told them to fix the problem, we'll see but I'm not too hopeful at this point. Its becoming very frustrating dealing with a car that has a shitty transmission, warped dashboard and water leaking in!

I just had the same issue fixed on my 2010 coupe, though mind you it wasn't as bad. I found a few drops of water on my front passenger floor mat after it rained here for a couple of days. Dealer at Pineview Hyundai in Woodbridge found the problem to be a clogged drain tube for the sunroof and fixed the problem by cleaning it out. They couldn't explain why it happened in the first place, but the warranty invoice showed there was a tsb out for the problem, go figure out why Hyundai hasn't had a recall considering the problem appears to be widespread! I'm going to check the driver rear window now that it was mentioned here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.