Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have searched a few different forums, Google, and tried to find guides on how to do this pretty much everywhere.

Fly Ryde's video does a good job of showing the process however its hard to see exactly which wires need to be cut.

I was wondering if anyone had some insight into this or knew of where I could find a guide.

I also wanted to verify that this mod only causes the upper area of the brake light to not illuminate until the brake is actually applied.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When you hit the brake light, only the LED strips will work/ go brighter when you hit the brake. The circular part won't. However, recently my friend discovered that it can be done where when you drive, the LED's will be on, but when you hit the brake, the entire brake light lights on (LED + Circle part.)

·
2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T
59 Posts
I would like to know this as well...looks sweet

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can't wait to do my custom tails. really changes the look of the booty. I would be interested to know how to do the mod @gen_jack was referring to.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know that you have to open up the tail lights to expose the inner wiring and there is a blue wire you snip and thats it..

·
Red Pie Spread
17 Posts
Hey guys, just did this today.

I used this tutorial by FlyRyde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrIGOzr9wCs

The first clip in the video is the cut you make on the right side while the second clip has the cuts for the left side. I had assumed that you needed to make both cuts on both tail lights. so the whole mod took me about an hour when it should have taken 30 minutes or so.

I used a dremel instead of a thermocutter
This bit, picked up at a local hardware store for $17

Because I wasn't using a thermocutter, I couldn't melt the piece back onto the housing. So I used a few layers of electrical tape to seal the hole back up.

Here is the end result

·
GenCoupe noob
65 Posts
I'm digging this mod...I'd like to take it a step further though.

Disconnect the + blinker wire and connect it to the blue wire that is being cut here (with a resistor in line, since we'd be going from incandescent to LED).

Now the 'round' LED cluster will be your blinker. :D

·
Red Pie Spread
17 Posts
Very nice dude. I was looking for some solid confirmation about the blue wire. I think I'll be doing the same. Thanks.
Yep, just a real quick snip!

I'm digging this mod...I'd like to take it a step further though.

Disconnect the + blinker wire and connect it to the blue wire that is being cut here (with a resistor in line, since we'd be going from incandescent to LED).

Now the 'round' LED cluster will be your blinker.
I would love to do something like that but it would have required taking the whole housing apart and I didn't want to majorly screw anything up

·
2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T
59 Posts
Okay so im looking to do this myself....do i need to open up both tail lights? and cut the blue on both? or just one?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've wanted to do this since i got the car, but it seems like its a crap ton of work. I saw the DIY and it looks like you have to completely take the light off, and cut open the housing and rewire. With little room, how hard is it to rewire?

·
Aww yeee
1,532 Posts
I've wanted to do this since i got the car, but it seems like its a crap ton of work. I saw the DIY and it looks like you have to completely take the light off, and cut open the housing and rewire. With little room, how hard is it to rewire?
Doesn't seem like you have to rewire anything - they were talking hypothetically how you would link the big middle LED cluster up as a turn signal, instead of the OEM orange bulbs.

All you have to do is cut out a hole on each tail light (one on the right, one on the left - they are in different locations on each) and cut the blue wire. Reseal and you're good to go

·
Registered
330 Posts
That looks good, but if that module would also turn off the upper cluster when not signaling, I would immediately buy. I guess what I'm saying is if Audi style can be integrated into that when signals are not blinking then it would be amazing. I like the turn as reverse as well.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts