Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
THREE.HATED
569 Posts
Im pretty dumb when if comes to how these tails are wired. When I get home from deployment I plan on getting them opened. until then, Im hoping someone can do a write up with pictures on how to do it.

·
THREE.HATED
569 Posts
Your tail lights will need to be re-opened and power from a voltage regulator will need to be fed to the cut blue wire inside the tail lights. The voltage regulator takes a 12v signal from the wiring harness and will send the lowered regulated voltage to the blue wire when the brakes are pressed. All that's needed is a 7806 voltage regulator.

Too high of voltage from the regulator will reduce the lifespan of the LEDs or blow them out. I, personally, would be concerned with the 8v regulator mentioned above but it sounds like 5v is just a little too low. just remember that LEDs use very little power and it sounds like the 5v regulators might me a little on the low side.
So I just did a quick google search for a 7806 regulator and a bunch of 6 volt ones were on the first page. Would this work?

·
Nobody pays me in gum
568 Posts
So I just did a quick google search for a 7806 regulator and a bunch of 6 volt ones were on the first page. Would this work?
as long as it's a 78XX style regulator it will work. Now, I'm just going off of what other people have said about 5v being too low and the lights being dim. I haven't tried this myself yet. I have 5v regulators for mine, but I haven't had the time or confidence to cut open my new tail lights yet.

·
THREE.HATED
569 Posts
as long as it's a 78XX style regulator it will work. Now, I'm just going off of what other people have said about 5v being too low and the lights being dim. I haven't tried this myself yet. I have 5v regulators for mine, but I haven't had the time or confidence to cut open my new tail lights yet.
I don't either. Are yours dim?

·
Too Soon Junior
50 Posts
Was considering doing this, but I do have the "tail as turn" by Diode Dynamics installed. Plus their switchbacks, if that matters. Could anybody clarify if it would work with both these modifications on there? I think one post said you can only have one or the other.

·
IG: jasonlikedthis
802 Posts
Yes if you just plan on cutting the wire, the Tail-as-turn mod will work. Think what they're trying to say is if you want to make the triangle section light up with the brakes with audi mod, then the tail-as-turn will not work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 5v regulator in mine and it's way too dim. I have them smoked as well but I'm going to be doing the 8v regulator on mine as soon as I can source a 7808 at my local supplier. Just been waiting for it to warm up to fix them and put a clear coat on the smoke

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have the 5v regulator in mine and it's way too dim. I have them smoked as well but I'm going to be doing the 8v regulator on mine as soon as I can source a 7808 at my local supplier. Just been waiting for it to warm up to fix them and put a clear coat on the smoke
Can you please post some pics of the setup??

·
Nobody pays me in gum
568 Posts
I don't either. Are yours dim?
My post was a little misleading. I haven't installed anything yet as I couldn't find a very detailed guide and I didn't want to hack open a set of $500 lights.

Someone said earlier that the lights run on 7.4v so the regulator P/N L78S75CV (google it) may be a good solution as we don't want to over power the LEDs and this one regulates the voltage to 7.5v. it does however have an output of 2 amps unlike 1 from the other voltage regulators.

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
so the voltage regulator is 3 pronged.... one is ground, one connects to the blue wire, and where does the 3rd prong connect?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was considering doing this, but I do have the "tail as turn" by Diode Dynamics installed. Plus their switchbacks, if that matters. Could anybody clarify if it would work with both these modifications on there? I think one post said you can only have one or the other.

Yes, I can confirm that it will work with the Tail as Turn mod from Diode Dynamics. I did it and it looks great!

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
But it seems that you are unable to use this in conjunction with the DD tail as turn module is this correct?

·
Nobody pays me in gum
568 Posts
But it seems that you are unable to use this in conjunction with the DD tail as turn module is this correct?
No, this is not correct. The point of this mod is that we are making a different circuit for the top "triangle" part of the light. a +12v signal will be sent ONLY when the brakes are pressed. The regulator will then drop the voltage to not overload the LEDs. Everything about the tail as turn module should function the same (I haven't tested this yet). The module however will only control the bottom strip since creating this new circuit it will not control the "triangle" top section. So the top will stay solid ONLY when the brakes are pressed and the "audi strip" should flash for the turn signal and all other light functions will remain the same.

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
No, this is not correct. The point of this mod is that we are making a different circuit for the top "triangle" part of the light. a +12v signal will be sent ONLY when the brakes are pressed. The regulator will then drop the voltage to not overload the LEDs. Everything about the tail as turn module should function the same (I haven't tested this yet). The module however will only control the bottom strip since creating this new circuit it will not control the "triangle" top section. So the top will stay solid ONLY when the brakes are pressed and the "audi strip" should flash for the turn signal and all other light functions will remain the same.

Thank you
I'm willing to test the theory out this weekend hopefully...but my regulators are only rated to 6v...
Even worse I despise wiring. I'm having a difficult time visualizing how to connect the module...I understand one prong to the blue cut wire (receiving side of the tail?) One ground and have no idea where the 3rd goes. If you can break it down or draw it out I'm willing to document it so everyone can finally have a DIY for this

·
Registered
668 Posts
I too want to do this but it would be SUPER nice if someone who has already done it could post some pics of how it's setup....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you
I'm willing to test the theory out this weekend hopefully...but my regulators are only rated to 6v...
Even worse I despise wiring. I'm having a difficult time visualizing how to connect the module...I understand one prong to the blue cut wire (receiving side of the tail?) One ground and have no idea where the 3rd goes. If you can break it down or draw it out I'm willing to document it so everyone can finally have a DIY for this
Found this the other day and thought I would leave it here for other people. Thanks to Snoopy for creating this video it makes this a bit more understandable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWOImkM--KQ

61 - 80 of 96 Posts