Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m in the market for a 2013-2016 genesis coupe 3.8, and I was just wondering the pros and cons of the manual and automatic. I’ve always wanted a manual car but still don’t know how to drive a manual lmao but am willing to learn, anyways any help appreciated on helping me choose.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine is a 2011. I don't know if the 6 spd. manual is the same or not, between those years.

What I do know is that mine has had a slight grinding noise/feel going from 4th (or 5th) into 6th gear if I've wound the engine rpm up above 4,000 rpm. No satisfaction from dealer on taking care of that. I doesn't do it every single shift. Just when I've wound it up in 4th gear first. I tried shifting from 4th to 5th and then to 6th and it didn't stop the grind/growl.

Now that it's out of warranty they might feel the need to do something about it but I won't be taking it to them if it needs rebuilt some day.

No experience with the automatic transmissions. If they are like the 8 spd automatics in the BMW 435i cars they are pretty nice transmissions. Both for having fun and getting good gas mileage on a trip. My 435iX gets better mpg in town than my Genesis Coupe gets on the interstate. 28 mpg vs. 25 mpg. Well, I did get 26 mpg one trip in all these years, but that was just one time. Until I got the 435iX the Coupe was my road trip car.

If the automatics in the Coupes are like the automatics in the 435i (I know, said that already) then they not only shift quicker than you can shift a manual but they also have paddles on the steering wheel you can use to "manually" shift gears in it. I don't do that in my 435iX as it would take some practice getting used to it and I just enjoy the drive as is. Per the specs the BMW has the same hp as my Coupe (306 hp for both) but is a full second quicker 0-60 mph. That's the 8 spd automatic, not the older 6 spd automatic in the BMW. I think Genesis did the same thing (6 spd auto in the early Coupes but went to an 8 spd auto later) but I'm not sure.

Good luck with whichever car you buy.

Not sure which one has a better reputation for trouble free operation/low maintenance issues.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So mine is a 2013 3.8 manual and I love it. It's the feeling of going through the gears that's worth it. I didn't want it to be an auto when I first bought it cus to me it just didn't seen right with what I was gonna do to the car for mods. And one thing is it adds a little theft deterrent being a manual. If your worried about learning to drive stick but you know the basics it won't take you long to get the hang of it. These cars are a good one for learning.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I should have mentioned, mine is a V6, no experience with the turbo 4's, but the torque is pretty nice.

I routinely shift 1, 2, 4, 6. I seldom use 3 and 5. It easily accelerates in any gear and skipping gears (3 and 5 anyway) is easy and smooth due to the torque/rpm range where you have decent torque. I routinely (as in always) run mine around in 6th gear even in a 35 mph speed limit. It will accelerate smoothly (a little slow at first till it get up to around 50 mph) in 6th even from 35 mph. Might be one reason I usually get 21 to 22 mpg in town driving vs. the spec. of 17 mpg.

The 6 spd. manual is fun to drive. Again, mine is the V6 Trak model (not sure if all the V6's have the same engine or not). For anyone familiar with the mountains I64 goes through/over between Charlottesville, VA and Beckley, WV the Coupe will climb any of them and even easily accelerate in 6th gear. The only other vehicle we have that will do that same thing is my 86 IROC Z28. The 4.3 liter Vortec S10 Blazers, Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 straight 6, the Expedition 5.4 liter V8, the Outlander, etc. all down shift just to maintain speed going up some of those mountains.

good luck with your new Coupe

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I went to the dealership 7/2014 with the intention of purchasing a new 2.0 or 3.8 with a manual six speed as kind of a gateway toy out of motorcycles, that was until I drove the manual, and this was before I read about all the owners on this site who have had issued wit the manual. I wound up purchasing a new 2014 3.8 ultimate auto (ZF8 clone) and have no regrets. If the coupe came with a better feeling manual and clutch without the mechanical issues then yes, manual all day long for my toy car, but as it stands I glad I chose the auto in this particular vehicle.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Really going to get manual owners saying get the manual and the auto guys say get the auto.
People seem to be stuck in the stigma of the old autos sucking. Truth is today you can't beat the autos.
Look at the super cars. All autos. They simply shift faster.
The new veloster N? 13.8 with the manual and 13.4 with the new DCT.
I have the TCU tune from SFR and this thing shifts so smooth under normal conditions and shifts fast and hard when floored.
I also on long trips even with all my mods get best 29.1 mpg
You get less hp overall with the autos manuals but Hyundai made up for this with gearing.
So long drawn out bottom line?
They are very close to each other performance wise, so I'd you like shifting gears get the Manny.
If you prefer floor it and go, the auto is for you.
The paddle shifters are fun but really just a gimmick. You can also shift the auto by the manual stick mode.
My best q-mile came with sport mode and floor it. Let the car shift.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The automatic is great with paddle shifters. Why would you need a deal with a manual? I know I'm going to get roasted by own genesis coupe club and on here but seriously. My mom's 2013 3.8 and my 2014 2.0T automatics are the best transmissions.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It really is all about preference. Performance is comparable. For a weekend warrior, manual allows precise control for the driver. For my 750 mile per week Daily, I went Auto with zero regrets.

·
Premium Member
16,010 Posts
5 Years ago I would say automatic, due to the lack of reported issues, but since this platform has been aging, I would say now manual, since maintence on the automatic is a big hassle when issues come up.
Manual, there is a lot more support for in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
462 Posts
I am pretty sure that only 2014+ had rev matching too. So I wouldn't even consider a 2013- auto unless you want jerky shifts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my '15 50k miles manual for about 2 months now. Last winter I had a flash of bad insight, a sort of trailer park epiphany that "Ohmygod goshdarnit all the manual shift cars are going the way of the dinosaur so I better get one soon...". I wish I had just let it pass unheeded, but no, I had to start looking around to see what was out there. So I spent some months looking around, and BTW I had never even heard of Genesis Coupe but after rejecting the Toyota MR2, I stumbled onto the Genesis Coupe. I am a contrarian by nature, so it was almost like fate that I would settled on this niche car.

Previously, the last manual shift I had was a Subaru Forester Turbo (about 20 years ago) a truly great little car, so I was a bit rusty, and nervous when I first got the car, but I have to say that the Genesis manual is NOT the nicest manual I have ever driven. It shifts better than the 1960 Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor I first learned on, it shifts somewhat nicer than the POS Chrysler Neon from 25 years ago (I actually gave that car away, I didn't even try to sell it), but it sure doesn't shift nicer than the Forester.

I have now gotten a bit more used to the rather sensitive clutch, and I almost always manage to shift into the gear that I had intended to shift into, but I would not recommend this as the car to learn to drive a stick in, it is not a very forgiving platform.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sensitive clutch? How so? Mine has never been an issue. Only issue I've had/got is the grinding going to 6th gear after winding it up in 4th gear. After doing some research here on the forum here I've got some GM Syncromesh transmission fluid and some Cerotech sitting on the bench waiting for the opportunity to drain/refill that 6 speed manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Believe after a ton of research and scrolling through the forums I have decided to go with a manual 2016 GC Ultimate. Wish me luck 😬

1 - 15 of 15 Posts